ATL: IRENE - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: ATL: INVEST 97L - Discussion

#21 Postby Ivanhater » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:59 am

BatzVI wrote:What is the feeling for the northern islands? Seems everyone is worried about SFla already....I know it's early, so monitoring for now..

Could be an issue with a strenghtening system passing through the Islands.
0 likes   
Michael

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby OuterBanker » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:59 am

JB's thoughts (let the barbs begin). It will take a path similar to Emily with the difference being that it will be stronger when it gets to the islands. This will allow it to probably miss Hispaniola to the north. I think his path is landfall south of Savannah. If there is good news, at least NC seems to be out of it now.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#23 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:59 am

OuterBanker wrote:JB's thoughts (let the barbs begin). It will take a path similar to Emily with the difference being that it will be stronger when it gets to the islands. This will allow it to probably miss Hispaniola to the north. I think his path is landfall south of Savannah. If there is good news, at least NC seems to be out of it now.

Wouldn't it race inland and create a major problem in the inland sections with such a track?
Last edited by CrazyC83 on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#24 Postby gatorcane » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:00 am

OuterBanker wrote:JB's thoughts (let the barbs begin). It will take a path similar to Emily with the difference being that it will be stronger when it gets to the islands. This will allow it to probably miss Hispaniola to the north. I think his path is landfall south of Savannah. If there is good news, at least NC seems to be out of it now.

Very far out and too early to say where it goes if it develops. NC is not out of it right now at all, nor are those in the GOM.....

I will hope that the ULL NE of Puerto Rico and Hispaniola and or Cuba will do a number on it and keep it from getting too strong.....

But it may end up south or north of the islands, we don't know yet.
Last edited by gatorcane on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Re:

#25 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:01 am

gatorcane wrote:

Very far out and too early to say where it goes if it develops. NC is not out of it right now at all, nor are those in the GOM.....

I will hope that the ULL and Hispaniola will do a number on it and keep it from getting too strong.....

At this point, no one is out of it. It could go anywhere from an early recurve (unlikely but possible) to south of the islands like 93L.
0 likes   

Scorpion

#26 Postby Scorpion » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:02 am

Don't understand how someone can call for landfall in GA given how difficult that would be and it has been over 100 years. It's either GOM, FL, or Carolinas IMO.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby KWT » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:03 am

What i will say is the large circulation isn't a good thing at all, both the system and the US.

Will mean it will take a while to pull itself together, esp given the huge area of weak/moderate SAL to the north/west of the system...

Don't expect anything berfore 55-60W....but no doubt this one has got to be really closely watched.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

T'Bonz
Category 1
Category 1

#28 Postby T'Bonz » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:03 am

Our local met (Miami) has mentioned this (before it was an invest) for 2 evenings now. This is unusual, as they usually don't mention stuff that doesn't seem to be coming our way or that is far away.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#29 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:04 am

KWT wrote:What i will say is the large circulation isn't a good thing at all, both the system and the US.

Will mean it will take a while to pull itself together, esp given the huge area of weak/moderate SAL to the north/west of the system...

Don't expect anything berfore 55-60W....but no doubt this one has got to be really closely watched.

A weaker storm draws southward. That would more likely send it towards, or even south of, the islands.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#30 Postby MGC » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:05 am

97L is surrounded by dry air that it will have to battle.....looks like the shear might pick up in a couple of days.....I don't know....MGC
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#31 Postby GCANE » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:05 am

Will be interesting to see if we get that pulsing 12hrs intensification followed by 12hrs weakening like we had with the other systems.
0 likes   

Scorpion

#32 Postby Scorpion » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:06 am

MGC wrote:97L is surrounded by dry air that it will have to battle.....looks like the shear might pick up in a couple of days.....I don't know....MGC

I guess every global model disagrees with you..
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#33 Postby gatorcane » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:07 am

Scorpion wrote:
MGC wrote:97L is surrounded by dry air that it will have to battle.....looks like the shear might pick up in a couple of days.....I don't know....MGC

Well that ULL is there, and I pointed this out yesterday. Hopefully it starts to rip into it....but it may help to flare up more convection also...and give it a spark
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby Gustywind » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:10 am

Ivanhater wrote:
BatzVI wrote:What is the feeling for the northern islands? Seems everyone is worried about SFla already....I know it's early, so monitoring for now..

Ok thanks Ivanhater for you thought. Whereas, what is your best guess in term of intensity ? Should the islands may be dealing with a TD or a TS ?
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby KWT » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:11 am

Scorpion wrote:

To be fair nearly all the global models show little of note for the next few days, and quite a few don't get a closed system till 5-6 days time...

I'm going to have a look back at Erika in 2007 just to see if there were any parlells or not
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#36 Postby Ivanhater » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:13 am

Gustywind wrote:
Ivanhater wrote:

Ok thanks Ivanhater for you thought. Whereas, what is your best guess in term of intensity ? Should the islands may be dealing with a TD or a TS ?

GFS looks to show it nearing Hurricane status as it passes a bit south of the British and U.S Virgin Islands. Euro is a bit more conservative and ramps it up as it nears PR.
0 likes   
Michael

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#37 Postby jlauderdal » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:16 am

T'Bonz wrote:Our local met (Miami) has mentioned this (before it was an invest) for 2 evenings now. This is unusual, as they usually don't mention stuff that doesn't seem to be coming our way or that is far away.

Channel 7?
0 likes   

BatzVI
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#38 Postby BatzVI » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:17 am

Last I saw the ULL to the north was supposed to weaken and move to the N...what kind of effect would that have if it pans out?
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby Gustywind » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:18 am

:eek: south of Guadeloupe reaching hurricane?! is always worrying, something to keep an eye on :roll:. Thanks for your daily input Ivanhater :). Let's wait and see.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#40 Postby KWT » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:20 am

Ivanhater wrote:
GFS looks to show it nearing Hurricane status as it passes a bit south of the British and U.S Virgin Islands. Euro is a bit more conservative and ramps it up as it nears PR.

Yep given the dry air currently nearby, the ECM looks a much better call at the moment.

History teaches us to be very wary of systems that blow up near 60-70W...
0 likes   

Return to “2011”