ATL: DON - Remnant - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 90L - Discussion

#61 Postby Blown Away » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:11 am

Accuweather's Thoughts: The only other feature we are concerned about is the tropical wave near 55 west, moving west at about 6 degrees longitude per day in the central Atlantic. Thunderstorms have flared up on each of the past few days, but have dissipated during the nighttime. Upper-level winds are not favorable for development at this time, but as this feature moves into the Caribbean Sea this weekend, upper-level winds may become more favorable for tropical development.

This wave will move through the Leeward Islands tonight, producing some gusty winds and locally heavy rainfall in the area. The wave will continue moving westward this weekend, impacting Puerto Rico and Hispaniola by early next week. Beyond that, there is a wide variety of ideas, including full tropical development east of the Bahamas by next Wednesday. The latest model runs are showing less support for development, a slower movement, and a track farther south. The key to what evolves out of this system is the strength of the Bermuda high pressure area nosing westward across Florida into the eastern Gulf of Mexico. If the Bermuda high is strong, the system will move more westward and remain a strong but disorganized tropical wave. The upper-level ridge causing the heat wave over the eastern and central U.S. is projected to move west, allowing a weak upper-level trough to become established along or off the East Coast early next week. This could create a weakness in the Bermuda ridge. This weakness would help draw the system more to the northwest, then north, during Tuesday and Wednesday of next week. That scenario would favor organization and intensification. Therefore, there is no clear-cut idea on this system for next week at this time, but we will be making daily updates on the forecast.

By Senior Meteorologist Rob Miller

Seems reasonable to me.
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#62 Postby GCANE » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:14 am

Even though there are a lot of disorganized cells at the moment, WV is showing an improving UL outflow.

Good indication upper troposphere is gradually heating up.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/huwvloop.html

0 likes   

Florida1118
Category 5
Category 5

#63 Postby Florida1118 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:20 am

Dr.Masters thoughts

An African wave (Invest 90L) near 14N 55W, 400 miles east of the Lesser Antilles Islands, is moving west-northwest at about 15 - 20 mph. This wave is generating a limited amount of heavy thunderstorms due to the presence of a large amount of dust and dry air from the Sahara, and will spread heavy rain showers and strong gusty winds to the northern Lesser Antilles tonight through Saturday. The wave has a modest degree of spin to it, and is under low wind shear, 5 - 10 knots.

Dry air will continue to be a problem for 90L through Sunday, but once it finds a moister environment near the Bahama Islands early next week, it could develop. However, the expected track of the disturbance takes it over the rugged terrain of Hispaniola, which would inhibit development. Furthermore, wind shear is expected to rise to the moderate range, 10 - 20 knots, on Saturday, and could increase further by Monday, according to most of the computer models. Of the latest 00Z and 06Z runs of the four reliable models for predicting formation of a tropical depression, only the NOGAPS model shows development of 90L. The NOGAPS predicts the wave could attain tropical depression status on Tuesday, over the northwestern Bahama Islands just off the coast of Southeast Florida. The other models generally depict too much wind shear for the wave to develop. Right now, the deck appears stacked against development for 90L through at least Monday. NHC is predicting a 20% chance of development by Sunday. The eventual track of 90L next week has been trending more to the south in recent model runs, as they are generally depicting a weaker trough of low pressure developing over the Eastern U.S. This reduces the chances 90L will move up the U.S. East Coast, and increases the chances that it will enter the Gulf of Mexico.

0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#64 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:27 am

I agree this is a Caribbean/Gulf system. If it fails to develop, this could be an EPAC threat.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#65 Postby Sanibel » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:36 am

Damned-good lower level organization considering the weakness of the convection. See NHC noticed that too. Strange pattern this year because Arlene also formed from weak convection.
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#66 Postby GCANE » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:36 am

0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#67 Postby GCANE » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:41 am

Sanibel wrote:Damned-good lower level organization considering the weakness of the convection. See NHC noticed that too. Strange pattern this year because Arlene also formed from weak convection.

Excellent point. May indicate an important trend.
0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#68 Postby Blown Away » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:42 am

These close up loops play tricks w/ my eyes, but it looks like the beginning of a LLC @ 14.5N/56W, movement WNW. :double:
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05... EYE COMING MY WAY IN 2024…
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#69 Postby PTrackerLA » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:42 am

I detect some pretty good low level rotation in that recent flare up.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#70 Postby Sanibel » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:42 am

^ Am I mistaken or does your loop show convection bursting upon hitting the better Caribbean SST's?
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#71 Postby ConvergenceZone » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:46 am

GCANE wrote:
Sanibel wrote:Damned-good lower level organization considering the weakness of the convection. See NHC noticed that too. Strange pattern this year because Arlene also formed from weak convection.

Excellent point. May indicate an important trend.

Yep, very strange year. Plus, the models didn't even see Bonnie or Cindy, so I'm not paying much attention to the models
at all...
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#72 Postby KWT » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:49 am

Blown Away wrote:

These close up loops play tricks w/ my eyes, but it looks like the beginning of a LLC @ 14.5N/56W, movement WNW. :double:

Thats exactly what I see, sure looks like some sort of lower level rotation present in that spot you mentioned.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#73 Postby South Texas Storms » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:03 pm

KWT wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up abit like Dolly from 2008, where we get a system that takes a while to come together but eventually becomes a fairly decent system in the Gulf/BoC region...

Much depends on what/if any area consolidates at all.

I agree KWT. This definitely reminds me at least a little bit of Dolly back in 2008.
0 likes   

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

#74 Postby KatDaddy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:04 pm

Sure looks like a LLC developing in the burst of convection to as well.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

jhpigott
Category 2
Category 2

#75 Postby jhpigott » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:20 pm

Nice blow up of storms firing where there appears to be at least some low level turning . . .
0 likes   

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#76 Postby Dean4Storms » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:21 pm

This buoy still with easterly winds so no sign of a low level closed circulation. But check the Dew Point, almost near the air temp.

Think we see convection increase all day.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41101
0 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 90L - Models

#77 Postby ronjon » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:26 pm

Bocadude85 wrote:
ronjon wrote:12z NAM now south of Cuba..hmmmm..

Interesting.. but I will say that the NAM is not that great of a tropical forecasting model.

Yes we all know that concerning our beloved NAM. :lol: However, in its defense, it did extremely well with cyclogenesis of Bret and Cindy. My subtle point was that the models continue to shift southward (even the NOGAPs) so perhaps the system may develop low pressure south of the greater antilles.
0 likes   

HurricaneBrain
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#78 Postby HurricaneBrain » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:35 pm

Should end up between Tampico and the TX/LA coast.
0 likes   

tailgater
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#79 Postby tailgater » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:37 pm

Dean4Storms wrote:This buoy still with easterly winds so no sign of a low level closed circulation. But check the Dew Point, almost near the air temp.

Think we see convection increase all day.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41101

Yeah Dean traveling at this speed I think it will a TS before we see much of a west wind. On side note is me or is this wave really large east/west wise?
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#80 Postby South Texas Storms » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:39 pm

HurricaneBrain wrote:Should end up between Tampico and the TX/LA coast.

I agree. 12z NOGAPS is weaker and further south with a landfall just south of the TX/MX border.
0 likes   

Return to “2011”