ATL: IRENE - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#81 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:43 am

KWT wrote:NHC stating 280 degrees, that looks good to me looking at the Vis.loops at the moment.

yeah the overall envelope according to at least the TPW looks slightly north of west. the center is not well established as it will succumb to rotational loops withing the larger circ and especially every time a little convection fires it will get pulled this way and that till some decent convection is maintained.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

Re: ATL: INVEST 97L - Discussion

#82 Postby Ivanhater » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:44 am

Coming into view

0 likes   
Michael

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#83 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:47 am

gatorcane wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Yes, the LLC is east of the convection. It's fighting lots of dry air almost all around it now, along with moderate low-level wind shear. As such, it may have a hard time developing over the next 2-3 days until it reaches the eastern Caribbean. I'm not convinced it will develop as quickly as the models are indicating. If it does develop in just 3 days, then it could be a significant threat to the southeast U.S. (FL to Carolinas).

However, if development is delayed, then it continues moving farther west into the Caribbean. I don't see it as an eventual Texas or Louisiana threat (yet), as that persistent ridge overhead just isn't showing any signs of budging. But it could threaten the eastern Gulf or not get picked up at all and track into southern Mexico (like 93L).

I agree with that as well.

Only thing I am noticing is that it seems 97L is moving north of due west and not west even though it is a shallow system. If you extrapolate the current movement, that puts in in the NE Leewards/Puerto Rico area....so it may not even need to develop in 2 to 3 days to still pose a threat to the SE US coast.

yeah "most" reliable models either shallow or deep keep a wnw track.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#84 Postby gatorcane » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:47 am

Looking at the SAT images, I would raise this to 20% chance of development in 48 hours for next NHC advisory at 2pmEST
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#85 Postby SFLcane » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:48 am

HPC 10am excerpt on 97L...http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdepd

NEW 00Z/18 ENSEMBLE SPAGHETTI PLOTS SHOW BETTER THAN AVERAGE CLUSTERING NEXT THU/FRI...DAYS 7-8...ON A POTENTIAL TROPICAL SYSTEM MOVING NW ACROSS THE BAHAMAS TOWARDS FL
Last edited by SFLcane on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

sandyb
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#86 Postby sandyb » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:49 am

Our local mets have been talking about this for two or three days now as well
0 likes   
CARTERET COUNTY NC

MississippiWx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#87 Postby MississippiWx » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:50 am

wxman57 wrote:Yes, the LLC is east of the convection. It's fighting lots of dry air almost all around it now, along with moderate low-level wind shear. As such, it may have a hard time developing over the next 2-3 days until it reaches the eastern Caribbean. I'm not convinced it will develop as quickly as the models are indicating. If it does develop in just 3 days, then it could be a significant threat to the southeast U.S. (FL to Carolinas).

However, if development is delayed, then it continues moving farther west into the Caribbean. I don't see it as an eventual Texas or Louisiana threat (yet), as that persistent ridge overhead just isn't showing any signs of budging. But it could threaten the eastern Gulf or not get picked up at all and track into southern Mexico (like 93L).

No signs of budging? 8-10 day 500mb mean

0 likes   
This post is not an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of MississippiWx and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SouthDadeFish
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#88 Postby SouthDadeFish » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:51 am

SFLcane wrote:HPC excerpt from 10am this morning on 97L...http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdepd

NEW 00Z/18 ENSEMBLE SPAGHETTI PLOTS SHOW BETTER THAN AVERAGE CLUSTERING NEXT THU/FRI...DAYS 7-8...ON A POTENTIAL TROPICAL SYSTEM MOVING NW ACROSS THE BAHAMAS TOWARDS FL

While this sounds scary, I'm not sure what better than average clustering at days 7-8 mean. I mean so instead of a 600 mile spread, we have a 400 mile spread? Still plenty of time to watch it, although this one gives me a bad feeling.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#89 Postby gatorcane » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:51 am

It looks like the LLC may even by "jumping" NNW....if that really is the LLC to the east of the convection:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t2/loop-vis.html
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#90 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:54 am

SFLcane wrote:HPC 10am excerpt on 97L...http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdepd

hehe.. well we all have been noticing that for the last 3 days :) ... just tells us we are all not losing our minds.. :double:
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#91 Postby SFLcane » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:55 am

SouthDadeFish wrote:
SFLcane wrote:HPC excerpt from 10am this morning on 97L...http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdepd

While this sounds scary, I'm not sure what better than average clustering at days 7-8 mean. I mean so instead of a 600 mile spread, we have a 400 mile spread? Still plenty of time to watch it, although this one gives me a bad feeling.

Doesn't mean much...Just something in our vicinity next week. Nothing really to get all worked up about this thing is many days ahead and alot can happen in terms of track. I think hispanyola holds the wild card if you asked me.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#92 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:58 am

gatorcane wrote:It looks like the LLC may even by "jumping" NNW....if that really is the LLC to the east of the convection:

yeah very typical. its going to be wobbling around within the larger circ until decent convection is maintained.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#93 Postby KWT » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:58 am

wxman57 wrote:However, if development is delayed, then it continues moving farther west into the Caribbean. I don't see it as an eventual Texas or Louisiana threat (yet), as that persistent ridge overhead just isn't showing any signs of budging. But it could threaten the eastern Gulf or not get picked up at all and track into southern Mexico (like 93L).

It will take its time, 3-4 day range looks good to me.

As for the upper high...sorry I personally have disagree with you there, I think nearly ALL the models show at least a moderate weakening, and quite a few nearly totally kill it off as the upper high briefly refocuses it nearer Bermuda (may only be a short term thing)

E Gulf threat is a real possiblity...I think S.Mexico is at the moment a very tiny risk...going to need for it to develop near the W.Caribbean...which given what the models are doing looks an outside bet...
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#94 Postby somethingfunny » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:59 am

"Better than average clustering" is a conservatively polite way of referring to this.....

Last night's 0z GFS, CMC, and ECMWF outputs for August 27th, superimposed on one another. You can't see the CMC well because it's basically in the same spot as the Euro.

I do have a tough time with it as well but all the models have been on the same page as far as track, intensity, timeframe of development....very compelling, although I think the models are underestimating what interaction with Hispaniola and Cuba would do to 97L.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#95 Postby SFLcane » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:59 am

Looking at this its got a long way before it becomes anything to worry about.

0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#96 Postby ConvergenceZone » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:00 am

I wonder why there is so much dry air in the tropics these days?....
It's really keeping this season in check.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#97 Postby KWT » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:00 am

gatorcane wrote:It looks like the LLC may even by "jumping" NNW....if that really is the LLC to the east of the convection:

Yeah its gaining abit of latitude right now, I do see something of a NW wobble there from that circulation...

275-280 for the time being sounds like a good motion track to me.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#98 Postby ROCK » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:04 am

so you are telling me there is a chance.... :lol:
0 likes   

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#99 Postby Rgv20 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:06 am

My current thinking is that 97L its going to track south of Puerto Rico and Hispanola like the CMC and UKMET are suggesting.

I would also suspect future models runs would shift to a more westward track to the Central Gulf Coast and Florida Panhandle threat.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#100 Postby jlauderdal » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:07 am

somethingfunny wrote:"Better than average clustering" is a conservatively polite way of referring to this.....

Last night's 0z GFS, CMC, and ECMWF outputs for August 27th, superimposed on one another. You can't see the CMC well because it's basically in the same spot as the Euro.

I do have a tough time with it as well but all the models have been on the same page as far as track, intensity, timeframe of development....very compelling, although I think the models are underestimating what interaction with Hispaniola and Cuba would do to 97L.

its very "strait" forward for the next 5 days as far as direction goes and really at least 7 days, intensity is always tricky especially since it hasn't developed
0 likes   

Return to “2011”