ATL: DON - Remnant - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3541 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:16 am

What will it take to end the drought, a major hurricane now?
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3542 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:27 am

Anyway, could convective moisture from thunderstorms redevelop tomorrow with daytime heating off the remnant low? Although that would not end the drought, it might provide some relief...
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#3543 Postby South Texas Storms » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:28 am

CrazyC83 wrote:What will it take to end the drought, a major hurricane now?

I guess so. So sad.
0 likes   

WxEnthus
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Re:

#3544 Postby WxEnthus » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:52 am

South Texas Storms wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:What will it take to end the drought, a major hurricane now?

I guess so. So sad.

Whew, that's harsh but it's pretty much what I thinking was after I saw Don just get swallowed up like that. I went to watch radar expecting to see some rain spreading over southern TX but instead there was just a few tiny dots of very scattered sprinkles. Uh... is this tonight's radar or a loop from yesterday??

For weeks a lot of you in TX have been welcoming a cyclone to head your way and a lot of folks (me included, quietly to myself, while reading all the posts) were saying you really don't want a hurricane do you?! But indeed, it looks like that's what it may take to give you guys some relief, although I'm going to hold out hope for a big, wide rain-soaker of low-level tropical storm to take a slow swing through TX. As desperate as the situation is, I'd rather not see you guys end the drought by way of another bad situation, especially one packing high winds.

Here's hoping August will be better to ya!
0 likes   
    Disclaimer: Posts herein are my amateur opinion only and should not be used for making important decisions. Defer to the NHC, NWS, and local authorities for official guidance.

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3545 Postby Rgv20 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:55 am

4am July 29 NHC discussion. Looks like the Euro was correct :(

THE GUIDANCE IS IN
GOOD AGREEMENT...ALTHOUGH THE USUALLY RELIABLE ECMWF MODEL IS
FARTHER TO THE NORTHEAST. AN EXAMINATION OF THE ECMWF FIELDS
INDICATES THAT THE MODEL DECOUPLES THE LOW- AND MID-LEVEL
CENTERS...ALLOWING DON TO MOVE MORE TO THE NORTHWEST. THIS DOES
NOT SEEM LIKELY AS ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS ARE NOT EXPECTED TO
CHANGE SIGNIFICANTLY FROM NOW UNTIL LANDFALL. THUS THE NHC
FORECAST WILL STAY CLOSE TO THE DYNAMICAL MODEL CONSENSUS AND THE
PREVIOUS FORECAST.

Anyway local meteorologist Tim Smith was lost for words as to what happen to Don. He said ''he has never seen a tropical storm disappear like that'' and that is a first for me too :double:
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: DON - Tropical Depression - Discussion

#3546 Postby Macrocane » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:00 am

:uarrow: I've seen hurricanes disappear like that, 2005 Adrian went poof just after landfall in Central America although Central America has a lot of mountains that disrupt tropical cyclones easily, it's impressive how it disappeared in such a flat terrain like Texas.
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#3547 Postby South Texas Storms » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:04 am

Rgv20 wrote:4am July 29 NHC discussion. Looks like the Euro was correct :(

THE GUIDANCE IS IN
GOOD AGREEMENT...ALTHOUGH THE USUALLY RELIABLE ECMWF MODEL IS
FARTHER TO THE NORTHEAST. AN EXAMINATION OF THE ECMWF FIELDS
INDICATES THAT THE MODEL DECOUPLES THE LOW- AND MID-LEVEL
CENTERS...ALLOWING DON TO MOVE MORE TO THE NORTHWEST. THIS DOES
NOT SEEM LIKELY AS ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS ARE NOT EXPECTED TO
CHANGE SIGNIFICANTLY FROM NOW UNTIL LANDFALL. THUS THE NHC
FORECAST WILL STAY CLOSE TO THE DYNAMICAL MODEL CONSENSUS AND THE
PREVIOUS FORECAST.

Anyway local meteorologist Tim Smith was lost for words as to what happen to Don. He said ''he has never seen a tropical storm disappear like that'' and that is a first for me too :double:

Agreed Rgv. Our local met in SA said pretty much the exact same thing. It seems like we are all sad, stunned and frustrated. What's new? When will this change? :(
0 likes   

HarlequinBoy
Category 5
Category 5

#3548 Postby HarlequinBoy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:14 am

There has to be more reason for Don's shocking demise than "Texas is dry". Did the shear finally just blow the thing apart? Kind of like TS Chris ('06).
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3549 Postby South Texas Storms » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:29 am

HarlequinBoy wrote:There has to be more reason for Don's shocking demise than "Texas is dry". Did the shear finally just blow the thing apart? Kind of like TS Chris ('06).

Here is a snippet from the evening AFD update from NWS Austin/SA: "UNFORTUNATELY...TOO MUCH DRY AIR AND NELY SHEAR ALOFT SPELLED OUT AN EARLY DEMISE OF DON...LIKELY LEAVING MOST OF SOUTH CENTRAL TX HIGH AND DRY FOR THE EVENT."

So it looks like it was both dry air and shear that killed Don early unfortunately for us drought parched Texans.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#3550 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:34 am

WxEnthus wrote:For weeks a lot of you in TX have been welcoming a cyclone to head your way and a lot of folks (me included, quietly to myself, while reading all the posts) were saying you really don't want a hurricane do you?! But indeed, it looks like that's what it may take to give you guys some relief, although I'm going to hold out hope for a big, wide rain-soaker of low-level tropical storm to take a slow swing through TX. As desperate as the situation is, I'd rather not see you guys end the drought by way of another bad situation, especially one packing high winds.

Many people have stated be careful what you wish for. However, unless you are in Texas and in the drought areas it's hard to understand the desperation. It is one of the worst if not THE worst drought for the state (and your talking about a state that is in them on and off quite often). An area so large you could cover almost the entire northeast. The price tag of the drought is now not that far off than what a major land falling hurricane would be. At least with a hurricane people can temporarily get out of harms way. With the drought there are very few options.

It's disappointing to see Don not do much at this stage of the game. I was hoping at least more moisture or a 'lift' mechanism boost for other areas of the state at least with scattered diurnal storms...guess not.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3551 Postby South Texas Storms » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:38 am

Ntxw wrote:
WxEnthus wrote:For weeks a lot of you in TX have been welcoming a cyclone to head your way and a lot of folks (me included, quietly to myself, while reading all the posts) were saying you really don't want a hurricane do you?! But indeed, it looks like that's what it may take to give you guys some relief, although I'm going to hold out hope for a big, wide rain-soaker of low-level tropical storm to take a slow swing through TX. As desperate as the situation is, I'd rather not see you guys end the drought by way of another bad situation, especially one packing high winds.

Many people have stated be careful what you wish for. However, unless you are in Texas and in the drought areas it's hard to understand the desperation. It is one of the worst if not THE worst drought for the state (and your talking about a state that is in them on and off quite often). An area so large you could cover almost the entire northeast. The price tag of the drought is now not that far off than what a major land falling hurricane would be. At least with a hurricane people can temporarily get out of harms way. With the drought there are very few options.

It's disappointing to see Don not do much at this stage of the game. I was hoping at least more moisture or a 'lift' mechanism boost for other areas of the state at least with scattered diurnal storms...

Well said Ntxw. I'm sad to say that I am hoping for a hurricane to hit us now. I thought that Don would be just what the doctor ordered for us with him bringing much needed rain and not much wind but I was completely wrong. Don just proves how bad our drought really is right now and it seems like we need a hurricane to possibly put a dent in it.
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#3552 Postby somethingfunny » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:42 am

That was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. Texas is so dry that it literally ate a tropical storm.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#3553 Postby South Texas Storms » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:47 am

somethingfunny wrote:That was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. Texas is so dry that it literally ate a tropical storm.

Agree 100%.

Here are a couple of tweets from our local meteorologist's weather producer:
"I'm telling you folks. I have NEVER seen a tropical system disintegrate so quickly. I'm truly amazed. #DonTheDud"
"Our Chief Meteorologist Steve Browne said it best: 'Don fought the drought and the drought won!'
0 likes   

Rainband

#3554 Postby Rainband » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:59 am

I really hope you guys get the much needed rain soon. Un real.........
0 likes   

TwisterFanatic
Category 5
Category 5

#3555 Postby TwisterFanatic » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:02 am

Dry air that rushed in from the NE Gulf just absolutely killed Don.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#3556 Postby somethingfunny » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:06 am

:double:
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Evil Jeremy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3557 Postby Evil Jeremy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:37 am

I have doubts Don has an actual circulation right now. Looks like he opened up.
0 likes   
Frances 04 / Jeanne 04 / Katrina 05 / Wilma 05 / Fay 08 / Debby 12 / Andrea 13 / Colin 16 / Hermine 16 / Matthew 16 / Irma 17

JonathanBelles
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Location: School: Florida State University (Tallahassee, FL) Home: St. Petersburg, Florida

#3558 Postby JonathanBelles » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:39 am

I don't say the bust word too often, but that TS Warning just was the bust of all busts!
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

Re:

#3559 Postby somethingfunny » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:31 am

JonathanBelles wrote:I don't say the bust word too often, but that TS Warning just was the bust of all busts!

At least they never bit the bait on issuing hurricane watches/warnings like some were urging them to. :)
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: DON - Remnant - Discussion

#3560 Postby tolakram » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:13 am

POST-TROPICAL CYCLONE DON DISCUSSION NUMBER 11
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL042011
400 AM CDT SAT JUL 30 2011

THE DON IS DEAD. THE CYCLONE LITERALLY EVAPORATED OVER TEXAS ABOUT
AS FAST AS I HAVE EVER SEEN WITHOUT MOUNTAINS INVOLVED. DON HAS NO
CONVECTION...MEAGER RAINFALL...AND ONLY A SLIGHT SIGNATURE IN
SURFACE OBSERVATIONS AND RADAR DATA. THEREFORE...THIS IS THE LAST
ADVISORY ON THIS SYSTEM. DON SHOULD OPEN UP INTO A TROUGH LATER
TODAY AS IT MOVES TO THE WEST-NORTHWEST AND IS NOT EXPECTED TO POSE
A RAINFALL THREAT.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 30/0900Z 27.9N 98.8W 25 KT 30 MPH...POST-TROP/REMNT LOW
12H 30/1800Z 28.5N 101.0W 20 KT 25 MPH...POST-TROP/REMNT LOW
24H 31/0600Z...DISSIPATED INLAND

$$
FORECASTER BLAKE

Don could not mess with the Texas drought. I mean man, poof.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Return to “2011”