WPAC: BOPHA - Remnants

Moderator: S2k Moderators

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#681 Postby CrazyC83 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:14 pm

http://www.philstar.com/nation/2012/12/ ... alley-town

This could be THE biggest weather event, globally, of 2012. We haven't even heard from any of the communities that got the northern eyewall.
0 likes   

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

Re: WPAC: BOPHA - Typhoon

#682 Postby dexterlabio » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:44 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:How common are landfalls on Palawan? Even a Cat 1 could be huge especially if they are not well accustomed to them.

Washi also hit Palawan last year...but as far as I know they rarely get a hit from tropical cyclones.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

#683 Postby supercane4867 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:47 pm

Center passed over Palawan, now entering S China sea

0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#684 Postby euro6208 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:50 pm

truly unbelievable....may god bless the philippines! i won't be surprised if the death toll exceeds one thousand...

what a way to end this active destructive season with a record, destructive super typhoon...
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#685 Postby supercane4867 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:51 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:http://www.philstar.com/nation/2012/12/05/880941/66-dead-230-missing-compostela-valley-town

This could be THE biggest weather event, globally, of 2012. We haven't even heard from any of the communities that got the northern eyewall.

Sandy would still hold its place, considering the international status of areas hit by.
0 likes   

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#686 Postby dexterlabio » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:56 pm

^@euro i think it won't reach that number, unless this makes a turn back on land again. :roll: people were more alert this time and did not take any chances, but there will always be some places that are just not built for such a howler. I don't know if people in Compostella Valley are aware of a lot of geohazards in their area.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#687 Postby dexterlabio » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:01 am

supercane4867 wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:http://www.philstar.com/nation/2012/12/05/880941/66-dead-230-missing-compostela-valley-town

Sandy would still hold its place, considering the international status of areas hit by.

agreed. Sandy's timing caused one of the most economically-devastating effects in the US. Well New York is New York, one lamp post in that city would already cost renting a nipa hut in Mindanao, so obviously Sandy is a costlier storm.

Though I would agree on Bopha as the biggest weather event in terms of actual intensity before landfall.
0 likes   

ManilaTC
WesternPacificWeather.com
WesternPacificWeather.com

#688 Postby ManilaTC » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:22 am

Got this off facebook. Its from one of the people from Cateel. He, along with other Cateel residents that work and live somewhere else in the Philippines/World are having no contact on what happened there.

Geo speak, Cateel got the northern eyewall during landfall.

To all my friends who have a good heart: Our hometown in Cateel, Davao Oriental is severely devastated by TYPHOON PABLO, it's beyond words to describe the damage. Victims describe it as the end of the world. It is located 30 minute drive from the site of typhoon Pablo landfall. We all lost our homes, we have not accounted completely all our immediate families. No structures can serve as evacuation center as all buildings are severely wrecked and damaged including among others churches, hospitals and schools. Casualties to date is 56 and is increasing. Injured persons are lying in the streets. Roads going inside the town are un-passable making rescue and relief efforts very hard. People now are starving with no place to go. Electricity and cellfon sites are severely damaged making communication very difficult. No media group has ever entered the town. It has been isolated for more that 30 hours already.
Im knocking on you hearts to pls HELP my family and kababayans in my hometown of Cateel, Davao Oriental. WE need among others clean water, ready to eat food, clothes, shelter and medicines, toiletries. I hope the authorities will mobilize quickly to get inside the town. We need you. HELP us pls!!! Oh LORD GOD..pls help us....People are starving and homeless and nowhere to go.
0 likes   
The above post is NOT official and should not be used as such. It is my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. Please refer to your official national weather agency.

WEB http://goo.gl/JDiKXB | FB https://goo.gl/N5sIle | @ManilaTC

RobWESTPACWX
WestPACMet
WestPACMet

#689 Postby RobWESTPACWX » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:55 am

Some reports of deaths near 200.

I uploaded this video this morning. Intense footage of the storm. Will try to make another one like this when I get more permissions to use more footage.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5FPmGx3le8[/youtube]
0 likes   
Satellites, Charts and Forecasting tools for East Asia at WESTERNPACIFICWEATHER.COM

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#690 Postby dexterlabio » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:51 am

238 are confirmed dead and hundreds missing or feared to have died due to Bopha/Pablo. The Social Welfare Secretary confirmed the severity of the situation in the town of Cateel. As what Clark said, that town was a few kilometers north of the eye when it made landfall. There were very few structures standing after the onslaught of the typhoon, and the residential houses were totally ripped off. People are now living in the open fields because there are nothing left. This has really turned into a tragedy again after a year.

With these, I think there is no reason not the retire "Bopha" on the list.
0 likes   

RobWESTPACWX
WestPACMet
WestPACMet

#691 Postby RobWESTPACWX » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:25 am

Just typed up an article on the latest information. I am going to attempt to add more information to it. But any suggestions any of you may have please do share.
http://www.westernpacificweather.com/20 ... -hundreds/
0 likes   
Satellites, Charts and Forecasting tools for East Asia at WESTERNPACIFICWEATHER.COM

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

#692 Postby HurricaneBill » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:45 am

euro6208 wrote:what a way to end this active destructive season with a record, destructive super typhoon...

I wouldn't let my guard down. Typhoons that hit the Philippines during late fall/early winter sometimes come in pairs. By that, I mean another typhoon could hit a week or two afterwards.

Examples:
1970: Joan and Kate
1980: Joe and Kim
1988: Ruby and Skip
1998: Zeb and Babs
2004: Muifa and Nanmadol
2006: Cimaron and Chebi, Durian and Utor
2011: Nesat and Nalgae
0 likes   

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#693 Postby HurricaneBill » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:47 am

From the article:

In the town of New Bataan in Compostela Valley province alone, a total of 66 people have been confirmed killed by local officials.

That sentence probably could've been worded better.
0 likes   

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

#694 Postby HurricaneBill » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:54 am

0 likes   

RobWESTPACWX
WestPACMet
WestPACMet

#695 Postby RobWESTPACWX » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:08 am

True bill
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#696 Postby cycloneye » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:20 am

Death Toll passes 270

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/ ... TE=DEFAULT

NEW BATAAN, Philippines (AP) -- Mud-stained bodies covered with banana leaves were laid out in a row and survivors dried their soiled belongings on the roadside under a bright sun Wednesday, a day after a typhoon killed more than 270 people in the southern Philippines.

Officials feared many more bodies could be found as rescuers reach hard-hit areas that had been isolated by landslides, floods and downed communications.

At least 151 people have died in the worst-hit province of Compostela Valley since Typhoon Bopha began lashing the region early Tuesday, including 66 villagers and soldiers who perished in a flash flood that swamped two emergency shelters and a military camp in New Bataan town, provincial spokeswoman Fe Maestre told The Associated Press
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

phwxenthusiast
Category 2
Category 2

#697 Postby phwxenthusiast » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:21 am

first aerial video from Cateel... looks eerily similar to the damage caused by STY Megi in 2010... :cry: :eek:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBpjoZDdg98[/youtube]
0 likes   

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#698 Postby dexterlabio » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:32 am

the lesson last year from Washi is that a mere TS can cause a lot of trouble.

This year with Bopha, it was pointed out that a Category 5 IS a Category 5.
0 likes   

Tstormwatcher
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#699 Postby Tstormwatcher » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:00 am

phwxenthusiast wrote:first aerial video from Cateel... looks eerily similar to the damage caused by STY Megi in 2010... :cry: :eek:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBpjoZDdg98[/youtube]

Wow, incredible damage there. Looks like they definitely got the worst.
0 likes   

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

#700 Postby supercane4867 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:04 am

Going to die in the middle of sea :roll:

0 likes   

Return to “2012”