ATL: LESLIE - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

hurricaneCW
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: LESLIE - Hurricane - Discussion

#881 Postby hurricaneCW » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:25 pm

Although not directly expected to impact the U.S., Leslie will affect a lot of areas and people. Bermuda could be hit dead on by what could be a near or major, not to mention large hurricane, Eastern Canada could see a similar hit. The swells, rip currents, and beach erosion are going on and will go on for days causing some significant damage to our beaches up and down the east coast as well as pose a threat due to rip currents, and now Europe could be affected by the extratropical remnants of Leslie.

She's starting to look like a classic large hurricane on satellite so now it's time to see if she'll become a major hurricane.
0 likes   

MJS1
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#882 Postby MJS1 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:31 pm

Hurricane Andrew 92 might have the forecast right on..Leslie seems to be moving West-northwest ever so slowly up the line he drew on the map..I still say that Leslie will eventually turn west into Jacksonville-Georgia area, if not further south..

**THE PRECEDING FORECAST IS CRAZY....IT IS ONLY THE OPINION OF SOMEONE THAT HAS NO KNOWLEDGE OF METEOROLOGY AND IS AT BEST A LURKER TRYING TO LEARN FROM THE PRO METS>>>PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR LOCAL NHC/NWS FOR UP TO DATE INFORMMATION***
0 likes   

HurricaneAndrew92

#883 Postby HurricaneAndrew92 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:38 pm

MJS1 wrote:Hurricane Andrew 92 might have the forecast right on..Leslie seems to be moving West-northwest ever so slowly up the line he drew on the map..I still say that Leslie will eventually turn west into Jacksonville-Georgia area, if not further south..

**THE PRECEDING FORECAST IS CRAZY....IT IS ONLY THE OPINION OF SOMEONE THAT HAS NO KNOWLEDGE OF METEOROLOGY AND IS AT BEST A LURKER TRYING TO LEARN FROM THE PRO METS>>>PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR LOCAL NHC/NWS FOR UP TO DATE INFORMMATION***

Thank you...as with all systems, we will have to watch and see.
0 likes   

Ken711
Category 5
Category 5

#884 Postby Ken711 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:00 pm

MJS1 wrote:Hurricane Andrew 92 might have the forecast right on..Leslie seems to be moving West-northwest ever so slowly up the line he drew on the map..I still say that Leslie will eventually turn west into Jacksonville-Georgia area, if not further south..

Steering winds aren't there for such a turn West.
0 likes   

HurricaneAndrew92

#885 Postby HurricaneAndrew92 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:08 pm

I think it is possible that we still see tropical storm force winds on the cape and into central and eastern Maine. Now, there is a small chance that far east Maine sees Cat1 winds.
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#886 Postby Ptarmigan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:28 pm

I think Leslie could be our first major hurricane of the season. It could be a nasty storm for sure.
0 likes   

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#887 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:35 pm

Tropical cyclone information statement updated by the Canadian
Hurricane Centre of Environment Canada at 3:10 PM ADT Wednesday
5 September 2012.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Tropical cyclone information statement for:
Atlantic provinces.

For hurricane Leslie.

The next statement will be issued at 9:00 AM ADT Thursday.

General discussion regarding recently-upgraded hurricane Leslie
And possible influence in Eastern Canada.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
==discussion==
The Canadian Hurricane Centre is monitoring the development of
hurricane Leslie. The storm is expected to move very slowly and
intensify gradually over the next 3 days. Computer models are
predicting Leslie to only travel 250 kilometres over the next 2 days
which is basically a person's average speed of walking. With such a
slow speed of travel and the fact that the storm is still in its
organizing stage, there is much (more than usual) uncertainty in the
predicted path and intensity.

Computer models indicate that Leslie should eventually push through
the large 'Bermuda high' and accelerate toward Eastern Canada with a
range of track scenarios spanning Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.
The middle of these track forecasts crosses through Newfoundland -
but even that 'average' will likely shift several times with each new
run of simulations. If Leslie makes it to Eastern Canada, it would
not likely do so until early next week. There are other factors such
as 'cold-water upwelling' and 'high pressure building' resulting from
the hurricane itself that the computer models can sometimes fail to
predict. Thus, the range of scenarios may be even broader than those
models indicate now.

The Canadian Hurricane Centre will continue issuing these general
information statements on Thursday with more detailed track
information forecasts likely beginning on Friday.

Visit http://WWW.WEATHEROFFICE.GC.CA/HURRICANE/TRACK_E.HTML (all in lower
case) for the latest hurricane track map.
0 likes   

lester
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#888 Postby lester » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:39 pm

The chances of that happening is less than 1%.
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#889 Postby Cyclenall » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:57 pm

lester wrote:

The chances of that happening is less than 1%.

He/she has been forecasting that for days now, I would peg the odds at 0.4% IMO. Needless to say, that forecast will bust but on the insane turn of events it doesn't, it will be one of the most epic changes in a track with not one model showing this solution (that I know of).

I see Leslie is struggling with inner core issues because the eye can't maintain itself and that wrap-around arm fades like Isaac and many others did.
0 likes   

HurricaneAndrew92

#890 Postby HurricaneAndrew92 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:11 pm

While I disagree with a landfall that far south, it is likely we still see some affects in the US besides the swelling waves. I think Maine and even Eastern parts of MA and RI could see winds of 35 kts.
0 likes   

rainstorm

#891 Postby rainstorm » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:17 pm

it looks like its going to have to get above 30n and out of the tropics to really get going
0 likes   

HurricaneAndrew92

#892 Postby HurricaneAndrew92 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:25 pm

Alright, I'm going off for the night, see y'all in the morning. By the way, here's a review of my forecast.

Track

I still believe Eastern parts of RI and MA as well As Central and east Maine may get tropical storm force winds. Good Night.
0 likes   

Cape Bretoner
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#893 Postby Cape Bretoner » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:28 pm

Well, I'm afraid this bad boy is gonna fly directly over Cape Breton Island!
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#894 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:34 pm

How is this setup similar to Hurricane Juan in 2003?
0 likes   

TYNI
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#895 Postby TYNI » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:44 pm

Cape Bretoner wrote:Well, I'm afraid this bad boy is gonna fly directly over Cape Breton Island!

I would monitor it over the week into the weekend. Plenty of time to prep. Too far out at the moment, and too many variables. What side of the island are you on?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TYNI
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#896 Postby TYNI » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:47 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:How is this setup similar to Hurricane Juan in 2003?

Not sure it is... but here's some facts on the setup leading to Juan's landfall

http://ec.gc.ca/ouragans-hurricanes/def ... 4A490D1C-1
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Cape Bretoner
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#897 Postby Cape Bretoner » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:55 pm

TYNI wrote:
Cape Bretoner wrote:Well, I'm afraid this bad boy is gonna fly directly over Cape Breton Island!

I would monitor it over the week into the weekend. Plenty of time to prep. Too far out at the moment, and too many variables. What side of the island are you on?

I live in Sydney which is on the eastern side.
0 likes   

Time_Zone
Category 1
Category 1

#898 Postby Time_Zone » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:58 pm

TYNI wrote:

I'm also in Cape Breton, im used to these types of "scares" at least a couple times a year...they usually never turn out though so i'm not worried in the slightest right now.

Thankfully the water is so cold up here that it won't be able to support a major! Expecting this to be a cat-1 or less by time it makes its way this far north.
Last edited by Time_Zone on Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#899 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:58 pm

Cape Bretoner wrote:
TYNI wrote:

I live in Sydney which is on the eastern side.

You could very well end up on the dirty side, or east side, of the system, perhaps even near the centre. You really need to watch this one very closely imo.

The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   

Cape Bretoner
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#900 Postby Cape Bretoner » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:11 pm

Time_Zone wrote:
TYNI wrote:

I'm also in Cape Breton, im used to these types of "scares" at least a couple times a year...they usually never turn out though so i'm not worried in the slightest right now.

Thankfully the water is so cold up here that it won't be able to support a major! Expecting this to be a cat-1 or less by time it makes its way this far north.

Well I was living in Halifax when we were struck by Juan. That was the craziest weather experince I ever witnessed. The water is warmer this year than usual ,today's Ingonish Beach sea temperature is 17.4 °C. I imagine sydney harbour to be warmer yet. The water off Halifax the night Juan hit....18°C
0 likes   

Return to “2012”