ATL: ERNESTO - Post-Tropical

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Weatherguy173
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: ATL: ERNESTO - Tropical Depression

#4941 Postby Weatherguy173 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:29 am

earlier in this discussion (way earlier - the 5th), I proposed a possible regeneration in the pacific of Ernesto, when Ernesto was south or southeast of Jamaica, and people doubted me. Look at what is happening!
0 likes   
Nothing I say is intended to be a forecast; it's only food for thought and friendly advice!

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#4942 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:18 pm

Weatherguy173 wrote:earlier in this discussion (way earlier - the 5th), I proposed a possible regeneration in the pacific of Ernesto, when Ernesto was south or southeast of Jamaica, and people doubted me. Look at what is happening!

Was that just a WAG or what did you see that made you think it might happen? Was there something special that lead you to that early and probably correct conclusion? Inquiring minds want to know.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4943 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:17 pm

vbhoutex wrote:
Weatherguy173 wrote:earlier in this discussion (way earlier - the 5th), I proposed a possible regeneration in the pacific of Ernesto, when Ernesto was south or southeast of Jamaica, and people doubted me. Look at what is happening!

Was that just a WAG or what did you see that made you think it might happen? Was there something special that lead you to that early and probably correct conclusion? Inquiring minds want to know.

I had the same feeling as well. I just thought he was well south and was strong enough to handle the mountains. Don't forget he made landfall a bit SW instead of West as predicted. So he didn't go over the most rugged terrain of Mexico.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#4944 Postby tolakram » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:21 pm

Just to be clear,

it did NOT make it. A broad area of low pressure (spin) made it across, and this should be enough fuel for an EPAC storm, but the distinct entity known as Ernesto died in the mountains.

:)
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4945 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:51 pm

tolakram wrote:Just to be clear,

it did NOT make it. A broad area of low pressure (spin) made it across, and this should be enough fuel for an EPAC storm, but the distinct entity known as Ernesto died in the mountains.

:)

In that kind of sense, something did make it :D.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Weatherguy173
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4946 Postby Weatherguy173 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:29 pm

vbhoutex wrote:

what led me to believe this was that based in historical forecast paths and tropical cyclone tendencies in august, i felt that it would take a shot in the area of the yucatan. also, the low pressure system, given where i thought it would go, would have to cross land about the length of arizona. with the storm/low pressure system moving rapidly, i did not think it would take much time before the outer bands cross over into the pacific and then eventually a regeneration of the storm into what could possibly be TS Hector. As I am sure you know, this has happened in the past, around the Nicaragua area.
0 likes   
Nothing I say is intended to be a forecast; it's only food for thought and friendly advice!

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#4947 Postby tolakram » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:34 pm

But again, to be clear, when it happens as defined by the NHC it keeps it's low level circulation.

What happened here is that the LLC dissipated, never made it to the Pacific. What did make it was a general area of lower pressure, which will have some spin to it, much like a tropical wave. Because conditions in that area of the Pacific are decent for development it appears this is enough of a spark to generate a new tropical storm. Again, very similar to how a wave or in rare cases an upper level low can spark storm development.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Weatherguy173
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4948 Postby Weatherguy173 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:41 pm

tolakram wrote:But again, to be clear, when it happens as defined by the NHC it keeps it's low level circulation.

What happened here is that the LLC dissipated, never made it to the Pacific. What did make it was a general area of lower pressure, which will have some spin to it, much like a tropical wave. Because conditions in that area of the Pacific are decent for development it appears this is enough of a spark to generate a new tropical storm. Again, very similar to how a wave or in rare cases an upper level low can spark storm development.

that's what I meant, i didn't mean that the "official" storm itself with the circulation would make it across, but the low pressure area. you can already see in radar and satellite imagery that something will form in the epac within the next day. just look at the most recent satellite loop and wind speed given.

0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: ERNESTO - Remnants

#4949 Postby tolakram » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:44 pm

Yes, I agree, and there is a thread for it already: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=113326

The ghost of Ernesto. :)
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

Iune
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Re:

#4950 Postby Iune » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:24 pm

greenkat wrote:1st answer: Nope. Whenever a storm's center of circulation is >50% into the EPAC or ATL basins, the storm is assigned the upcoming name from the basin that the storm crossed into. For example, if Ernesto survives his trip across Mexico, he will be renamed Ernesto-Hector.

As far as I know, the NHC stopped this policy in 2001. If Ernesto had survived, the name would have stayed the same.
0 likes   
Floyd 1999 · Irene 2011 · Sandy 2012

Weatherguy173
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Re:

#4951 Postby Weatherguy173 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:40 pm

Phoenix's Song wrote:
greenkat wrote:1st answer: Nope. Whenever a storm's center of circulation is >50% into the EPAC or ATL basins, the storm is assigned the upcoming name from the basin that the storm crossed into. For example, if Ernesto survives his trip across Mexico, he will be renamed Ernesto-Hector.

As far as I know, the NHC stopped this policy in 2001. If Ernesto had survived, the name would have stayed the same.

just thought I would back you up on this: http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/B5.html

it is quoted "However, these rules have now changed at the National Hurricane Center and if the system remains a tropical cyclone as it moves across Central America, then it will keep the original name. Only if the tropical cyclone dissipates with just a tropical disturbance remaining, will the hurricane warning center give the system a new name assuming it becomes a tropical cyclone once again in its new basin." on the NOAA Hurricane Research Division site.
0 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#4952 Postby somethingfunny » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:11 pm

Check this out... I believe Ernesto's remnant LLC may be located in the middle of Mexico near the blowup of convection around 18.5°N/99°W. But that blowup of convection on the coastline near 18°N/102°W may be a new LLC forming. It's rare to see a loop actually showing the transition here... and it clearly shows why the regenerated system would not be named Ernesto.

Although looking at that loop makes my head spin because there's so many competing circulations. It's definitely related to Ernesto in that regard! :double: :lol:
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Weatherguy173
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4953 Postby Weatherguy173 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:17 pm

it's ernesto's possible little brother hector :D
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: ERNESTO - Advisories

#4954 Postby cycloneye » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:34 pm

The final advisory was not posted so here it is.

REMNANTS OF ERNESTO DISCUSSION NUMBER 37
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL052012
1000 AM CDT FRI AUG 10 2012

SURFACE OBSERVATIONS FROM MEXICO INDICATE THAT THE LOW-LEVEL CENTER
OF CIRCULATION HAS BECOME DISRUPTED BY THE HIGH TERRAIN AND IS NO
LONGER TRACKABLE. ERNESTO NOW CONSISTS OF A BROAD AREA OF LOW
PRESSURE OVER SOUTHERN MEXICO. HEAVY RAINFALL ASSOCIATED WITH THE
REMNANTS OF ERNESTO WILL CONTINUE DURING THE NEXT DAY OR TWO.
THESE RAINS WILL LIKELY PRODUCE FLASH FLOODING OVER MUCH OF
SOUTHERN MEXICO.

THE REMNANTS OF ERNESTO ARE EXPECTED TO MOVE OFF MEXICO INTO THE
EASTERN PACIFIC WITH THE POTENTIAL TO BECOME A TROPICAL CYCLONE. IF
THIS IS THE CASE...IT WILL ACQUIRE A NEW DEPRESSION NUMBER...OR A
NEW NAME IF IT BECOMES A TROPICAL STORM.

THIS IS THE LAST ADVISORY ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER ON
ERNESTO.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 10/1500Z 18.0N 99.2W 20 KT 25 MPH
12H 11/0000Z...DISSIPATED

$$
FORECASTER AVILA
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

stormhunter7
Category 2
Category 2

#4955 Postby stormhunter7 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:16 pm

I know this is Ernesto forum.. but i think from what i was watching... this may have lead to the fact Ernesto didn't make a run at the US. The pattern upstream had to deal with this strong/huger artic storm in Alaska and the artic ocean!

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/featur ... storm.html
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#4956 Postby Sanibel » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:21 am

Ernesto is showing incredible black IR depth in the Pacific even after two days over land. Even deeper than at its height in the Atlantic.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#4957 Postby Sanibel » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:05 pm

Ernesto made the cross-over!
0 likes   

greenkat
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4958 Postby greenkat » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:17 pm

Weatherguy173 wrote:it's ernesto's possible little brother hector :D

HAAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org.

Hope this helped ;)

Return to “2012”