ATL: GORDON - Post-Tropical

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Franmed
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

Re: ATL: GORDON - Hurricane

#321 Postby Franmed » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi There.

Everyone in the Azores is being informed about this storm. It´s not so unusual that big storms hit the islands. Rain seems to be the main concern because of local landslides.

You can check these webcams:

St Maria Island

http://www.climaat.angra.uac.pt/WebCams/index10.htm

S.Miguel Island

http://www.climaat.angra.uac.pt/WebCams/index8.htm
http://spotazores.com/?lang=en

0 likes   

littlevince
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#322 Postby littlevince » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:50 pm

Cyclenall wrote: Now this Gordon has completed its copy of the last Gordon in 2006. Its insane how similar these two TC's are with the same name 6 years ago!! :eek: :eek: My last post stated how similar they were already and the two aspects I outlined were: CAT1 strength or over and an annular appearance, for Gordon to be nearly the same...fulfilled!!

They share the same intensity in the region. And in the Azores, the center will pass very close to the 2006 track. A bit surreal :D

Gordon 2006 - 38.1N/38.7W
90kt/970mb
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2006/al ... .034.shtml?

Gordon 2012 -34.1N/36.4W
90kt/969mb
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MI ... 2032.shtml

Loop:

0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#323 Postby tolakram » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:51 pm

Welcome, and thankyou Franmed!
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#324 Postby hurricanes1234 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:59 pm

105 MPH??? I CANNOT BELIEVE IT! And what's this about 102 knots and a pressure of 955.4 mbar? Does this mean we have a Category 3 hurricane?! Wow! I really need to eat my words about what I said in my earlier posts!!!

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheEuropean wrote:Unofficial, but impressive:

UW-CIMSS Automated Satellite-Based
Advanced Dvorak Technique (ADT)
Version 8.1.3
Tropical Cyclone Intensity Estimation Algorithm

Current Intensity Analysis

UW - CIMSS
ADVANCED DVORAK TECHNIQUE
ADT-Version 8.1.3
Tropical Cyclone Intensity Algorithm

----- Current Analysis -----
Date : 18 AUG 2012 Time : 191500 UTC
Lat : 34:02:19 N Lon : 36:50:47 W

CI# /Pressure/ Vmax
5.5 / 955.4mb/102.0kt

Final T# Adj T# Raw T#
5.5 5.7 5.7

Estimated radius of max. wind based on IR : 28 km

Center Temp : +11.6C Cloud Region Temp : -59.7C

Scene Type : EYE

Positioning Method : RING/SPIRAL COMBINATION

Ocean Basin : ATLANTIC
Dvorak CI > MSLP Conversion Used : ATLANTIC

Tno/CI Rules : Constraint Limits : NO LIMIT
Weakening Flag : OFF
Rapid Dissipation Flag : OFF

C/K/Z MSLP Estimate Inputs :
- Average 34 knot radii : 95km
- Environmental MSLP : 1015mb

Satellite Viewing Angle : 55.6 degrees
0 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

jinftl
Category 5
Category 5

#325 Postby jinftl » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:00 pm

It would be appear St Maria Island the southeastern most island (please correct me if i am wrong on the geography) will experience the worst conditions based on the current forecast track. Almost 100% chance of sustained tropical storm force winds...

and a smaller but somewhat increasing chance over time of sustained hurricane force winds depending on track. The wind field on the right side (in this case the south side) of the storm is bigger, so you definitely want the eye to pass to your south to lessen the impact some:

Franmed wrote:Hi There.

Everyone in the Azores is being informed about this storm. It´s not so unusual that big storms hit the islands. Rain seems to be the main concern because of local landslides.

You can check these webcams:

St Maria Island

http://www.climaat.angra.uac.pt/WebCams/index10.htm

S.Miguel Island

http://www.climaat.angra.uac.pt/WebCams/index8.htm
http://spotazores.com/?lang=en

0 likes   

littlevince
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#326 Postby littlevince » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:04 pm

A personal weather station in Santa Maria:
http://www.praiaformosalive.com/estacao ... ormosa.htm
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#327 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:04 pm

Welcome Franmed and stay safe!
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Re:

#328 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:05 pm

hurricanes1234 wrote:105 MPH??? I CANNOT BELIEVE IT! And what's this about 102 knots and a pressure of 955.4 mbar? Does this mean we have a Category 3 hurricane?! Wow! I really need to eat my words about what I said in my earlier posts!!!

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

No, that is unofficial but a decent estimate. 95 kt seems like my best guess.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#329 Postby tolakram » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:07 pm

Latest visible loop. New burst just before sunset.

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#330 Postby tolakram » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:08 pm

RBTOP saved loop

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#331 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:08 pm

tolakram wrote:Latest visible loop. New burst just before sunset.

It's definitely trying to make a run at Cat 3!
0 likes   

jinftl
Category 5
Category 5

#332 Postby jinftl » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:13 pm

Usually once a storm makes that turn to the north and east into the shipping lanes, the interest in it fades completely...boy, this is not the case with Gordon. I hope the storm freaks (like me) are not fixating on just what may happen with 94L down the road...what we have happening right now with Gordon now is what i love about this board...no one else would find this nearly as interesting as the folks here do!!! thankful for that!!! :lol:

At the same time, people in the Azores and even Europe could see significant impacts from this storm and I can say to those posting from the Azores and Portugal that there are definitely people in the U.S. aware of what you may experience and are sending you thoughts and prayers.

CrazyC83 wrote:
hurricanes1234 wrote:105 MPH??? I CANNOT BELIEVE IT! And what's this about 102 knots and a pressure of 955.4 mbar? Does this mean we have a Category 3 hurricane?! Wow! I really need to eat my words about what I said in my earlier posts!!!

No, that is unofficial but a decent estimate. 95 kt seems like my best guess.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#333 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:15 pm

jinftl wrote:Usually once a storm makes that turn to the north and east into the shipping lanes, the interest in it fades completely...boy, this is not the case with Gordon. I hope the storm freaks (like me) are not fixating on just what may happen with 94L down the road...what we have happening right now with Gordon now is what i love about this board...no one else would find this nearly as interesting as the folks here do!!! thankful for that!!! :lol:

At the same time, people in the Azores and even Europe could see significant impacts from this storm and I can say to those posting from the Azores and Portugal that there are definitely people in the U.S. aware of what you may experience and are sending you thoughts and prayers.

This is indeed an interesting storm! I hope the US media can pick up on it somehow, since this is certainly no fish storm...there is definitely land in the way!
0 likes   

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#334 Postby hurricanes1234 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:18 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
tolakram wrote:Latest visible loop. New burst just before sunset.

It's definitely trying to make a run at Cat 3!

That is definitely correct. Imagine one day can change the way people think about this season. Hurricane Gordon 2012 is really a family member of Hurricane Daniel 2012. And maybe Invest 94L may do something similar to those two hurricanes.

0 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

SouthDadeFish
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#335 Postby SouthDadeFish » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:28 pm

Check CIMSS ADT:

UW - CIMSS
ADVANCED DVORAK TECHNIQUE
ADT-Version 8.1.3
Tropical Cyclone Intensity Algorithm

----- Current Analysis -----
Date : 18 AUG 2012 Time : 214500 UTC
Lat : 34:10:15 N Lon : 35:56:46 W

CI# /Pressure/ Vmax
5.6 / 953.2mb/104.6kt

Final T# Adj T# Raw T#
5.5 5.5 5.5

Estimated radius of max. wind based on IR : 27 km

Center Temp : +14.2C Cloud Region Temp : -57.3C

Scene Type : EYE

Positioning Method : RING/SPIRAL COMBINATION
0 likes   

tailgater
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#336 Postby tailgater » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:32 pm

Yeah in the last few images in the loop the eye tightens up and becomes better defined.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#337 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:36 pm

If it keeps going due east, the Madeira Islands could come into play as well. Those islands are near 15W.
0 likes   

Macrocane
Category 5
Category 5

#338 Postby Macrocane » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:40 pm

So, Gordon is now the strongest cyclone of the season and located so far north. I agree, it has been a very interesting cyclone and kind of unexpected, at least in terms of intensity.
0 likes   

Caribwxgirl
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#339 Postby Caribwxgirl » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:41 pm

Wow this is some system. I didn't realize it would get this strong
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institutions or storm2k.org. For official information refer to the NHC and NWS products.

greenkat
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#340 Postby greenkat » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:49 pm

Wow, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Portugal/UK (Gilbraltar) issued TS watch in the next 48 hours. :eek:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org.

Hope this helped ;)

Return to “2012”