ATL: ISAAC - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Buck
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#8621 Postby Buck » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:38 pm

Zampanò wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Tangipahoa River flow into Lake Pontchartrain, which is already quite full of water?

Indeed it does.
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8622 Postby gboudx » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:43 pm

Miss. officials to breach Isaac-damaged dam on Tangipahoa River

"To prevent flooding from an uncontrolled breach, Mississippi officials are planning to breach the dam on their own to relieve water pressure. Such a plan would flood forested areas of Pike County with 4 feet of water but spare homes and residents in Tangipahoa."

"Jindal said flooding from a dam failure would be as bad as river flooding in the area in 1983 and 1992, when water levels rose to between 17.2 feet and 17.5 feet. It was not immediately clear how far above flood stage those levels are.

It is not clear when a controlled breach would occur or how long the dam can hold before it fails."
0 likes   

rtd2
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#8623 Postby rtd2 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:44 pm

Buck wrote:I saw where Jeff Masters said that 'Category 1' isn't a good way to label Isaac... sure, that's what category his winds fell under, but his impact is much greater than most category one storms we've seen.

This is a sore subject around here. But i have felt too much infuses is put on winds and cat 1,2,ect just like we talked about after Katrina that was officially a cat 3 with a 920mb pressure . That said after Isaac I doubt you will here the the "oh its just a cat 1" phrase anytime soon"
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#8624 Postby WeatherGuesser » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:05 pm

Funny how the thread on an active storm that still poses a significant threat to many is all but abandoned for threads on things that may never amount to anything.
0 likes   

gboudx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#8625 Postby gboudx » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:14 pm

WeatherGuesser wrote:Funny how the thread on an active storm that still poses a significant threat to many is all but abandoned for threads on things that may never amount to anything.

It happens all the time. It's the "thrill of the chase" mentality where posters will follow a storm until it makes landfall. Usually only the true diehards stick around and people who are affected. Others, like myself, only follow if it affects a specific area. For example, I won't follow a storm that will recurve out to sea, or landfall on the east coast. Honestly, I wouldn't have followed Isaac so much had it made landfall east of Gulfport.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Re:

#8626 Postby southerngale » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:26 pm

Buck wrote:I saw where Jeff Masters said that 'Category 1' isn't a good way to label Isaac... sure, that's what category his winds fell under, but his impact is much greater than most category one storms we've seen.

I am not crazy about the whole category thing because I think the lower categories make people too complacent, but I haven't exactly come up with a better system, either. Tropical Storm Allison also proved that you don't even need a category to cause horrific damage and death.
0 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

HurricaneQueen
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: ISAAC - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#8627 Postby HurricaneQueen » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:28 pm

I'm still following Isaac both on the board and TWC day and night and I am in SW FL with no contacts on the northern gulf shores. My heart is breaking for all the devastation and lives destroyed once again.
0 likes   
GO FLORIDA GATORS

cigtyme
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8628 Postby cigtyme » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:33 pm

Thanks HQ, Power is on finally :P ! Work tomorrow, and curfew is lifted!!
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Sharpstown, Houston, Harris County, Southeast Texas.

Re: Re:

#8629 Postby Houstonia » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:35 pm

southerngale wrote:

I am not crazy about the whole category thing because I think the lower categories make people too complacent, but I haven't exactly come up with a better system, either. Tropical Storm Allison also proved that you don't even need a category to cause horrific damage and death.

Harris County Flood Control District's Met Jeff Lindner also vents his frustration in this morning's Isaac update:

Isaac continues to bring flooding rainfall and storm surge to the LA and MS coast.

Overnight strong SSW winds have surged the waters within Lake Pontchartrain northward away from New Orleans and into the northern shore of the lake. Severe storm surge flooding of 5-7 feet is currently in progress from the western side of the lake to the eastern side of the lake including the cities of Slidell, Mandeville, and LaPlace. Early this morning a levee was breached near a pump station in the City of Slidell and while the pump station continues to operate, it cannot keep out with the influx of water and portions of the city are now flooding with 3-5 feet of water…all locations in the city at an elevation below 9 ft will be subject to flooding. Overtopping also occurred late yesterday afternoon in St John the Baptist Parish and around LaPlace where at least 1000 residents are still being rescues from their rooftops.

Initial water level readings on the west side of Lake Pontchartrain include that record high storm surge levels may have been produced and flooding west of New Orleans and on the north shore of the lake is equal if not greater than hurricane Katrina and hurricane Gustav. These high water levels are a function of the storm track, as Isaac passed to the south and then west of Lake Pontchartrain allowing a continuous feed of sea water on SE winds into the lake. Hurricane Katrina passed just east of the lake initially pushing sea water in from the east, then sloshing that surge southward on the west side of the eye against the New Orleans levees. Waters levels in portions of Plaquemines Parish are only 3-5 feet lower than Hurricane Katrina 13-14 vs 17-19.

I cannot emphasize enough how poorly the Saffir Simpson scale it at relating storm impacts and the fact that this was only a Category 1 hurricane appears to have resulted in residents not heeding the evacuation orders. The focus during landfalling tropical cyclones must be on the impacts and NOT the category of the storm….the category only suggest wind damage impacts and has no relation on the storm surge or rainfall flood threat. Every hurricane is different, a slow moving large weak hurricane like Isaac can produce significant impacts as shown due to the far reaching effects and the continuous adverse conditions. Below are listed the storm surge values expected for the various portions of the affected coast as issued in an e-mail on Monday at 140pm. As you can see the values for Plaquemines Parish are highlighted in red (7-11ft), with the levees only 8ft tall it was highly likely that they would be overtopped.

SE LA (from the mouth of the MS River west to near Houma): 6-9 ft
SE LA (from the mouth of the MS River to the LA/MS state line): 7-11 ft
SE LA (Lake Pontchartrain): 5-8 ft
MS coast: 8-12 ft
AL coast: 6-10 ft
FL panhandle: 3-6 ft

Storm surge values along the coast will subside today as onshore winds weaken however areas where levees have been overtopped will take days to drain.

Isaac will continue to move inland and weaken however large feeder bands on the east side of the system will continue to produce flooding rainfall over MS and E LA. As the center moves NNW tonight into southern AR, the potential for core rainfall will increase. The threat will be shifting to fresh water flooding as Isaac moves north into AR , MO, and IL over the next 48 hours. While much of this region is suffering in severe drought, the very heavy rainfall of a tropical system in a short period of time can lead to flooding. Additional rainfall amounts of 6-15 inches will be possible along the track of Isaac.
0 likes   

rtd2
Category 5
Category 5

#8630 Postby rtd2 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:37 pm

Janie2006 wrote:^^ Es no problema!

rtd2 wrote:Will be interesting to see the official numbers on Isaac. Jackson county EOC (just east of me) is reporting 30 " of rain from Isaac. And its still raining there.

Those bands are just setting up and training over the same locations, over and over again. I've been watching the band over Jackson County and it has literally taken 8 hours to edge into western Mobile County on the Alabama side. I'm in West Mobile and, while there is rain, it's not the deluge going on 20 miles to the west along the state line.

STILL POURING in most of Jackson county...they been in that feeder band nearly 12 hrs

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.ph ... b&loop=yes
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#8631 Postby artist » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:38 pm

cigtyme wrote:Thanks HQ, Power is on finally :P ! Work tomorrow, and curfew is lifted!!

yay!!
0 likes   

midnight8
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: Re:

#8632 Postby midnight8 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:04 pm

WeatherGuesser wrote:
midnight8 wrote:
gboudx wrote:The dam on Lake Tangipahoa at Percy Quinn State Park in McComb, Ms has been overtopped and is failing. Complete failure is certain. Authorities are telling people in Kentwood and Robert, La to get out now. They have 90 mins before the water reaches them. Please call anyone you know in the area to let them know if they may not be keeping up with the news. This is a very dangerous situation.

Dang!!! My grandad is in McComb for a reunion. I just called him and he says he is not close enough for that dam to affect him. I hope he is right.

The lake is S/W of town and the dam is at the south end of the lake. Town should be well clear.

I know he is not actually in town. He is on a farm outside of town staying with some relatives. Hopefully they know the area well enough to know if they are safe. He seems to think they are ok.
0 likes   
KF5KWF Orange, Texas

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#8633 Postby tolakram » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:14 pm

Rain bands still streaming in

Total precip estimates since this morning.

Regional Radar

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#8634 Postby tolakram » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Mobile radar estimates.

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Extratropical1
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#8635 Postby Extratropical1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:32 pm

HurricaneQueen wrote:I'm still following Isaac both on the board and TWC day and night and I am in SW FL with no contacts on the northern gulf shores. My heart is breaking for all the devastation and lives destroyed once again.

Me too! I just don't post alot but learn alot! Thanks for all of the education and information you all provide on this board. :D
0 likes   

tomboudreau
Category 5
Category 5

#8636 Postby tomboudreau » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:38 pm

Watching and waiting to see if Isaac is going to washout Labor Day and Tuesday, here in Pittsburgh.
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#8637 Postby WeatherGuesser » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:41 pm

I think it'll still be in Ohio by then.
0 likes   

midnight8
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#8638 Postby midnight8 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:53 pm

Finally getting some rain in Orange just to the west of the Texas/LA state line. First drops I have seen.
0 likes   
KF5KWF Orange, Texas

Janie2006
Category 5
Category 5

#8639 Postby Janie2006 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:12 pm

What a difference a few miles can make, eh? West Mobile got anywhere from 6 to 8 inches of rain, while that Doppler estimate for Pascagoula and eastern Jackson County indicates around 20 inches of rain. And, yep, it's *still* raining over there!
0 likes   

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#8640 Postby galaxy401 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:20 pm

Wondering how much rain Isaacs is going to give where I live. We are very dry but I don't want to stay inside the whole Labor Day weekend.
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

Return to “2012”