ATL: KIRK - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#201 Postby galaxy401 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:26 pm

He didn't become an underachiever. He did rapidly strenghtened to cat 2 and was originally forcasted to not even become a hurricane. Just didn't have enough time. He could of been a cat 3 since tiny hurricanes tend to be underestimated.
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#202 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:33 pm

We're still doing better than at this time last year...Irene was the only hurricane (forget major hurricane), and we have already had 5 so far. Gordon may be upgraded to major status in the end as well.
0 likes   

Zanthe
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Re:

#203 Postby Zanthe » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:30 am

hurricanes1234 wrote:
Yellow Evan wrote:Yeah, say goodbye to Kirk in a day or two. I thought it was going to be a major, but it did not become one.

You're right...still no major storms yet. Closest was Gordon which was 1 mph away from achieving major hurricane status. I would say goodbye to Kirk all now - towards the end, he became yet another underachiever.

Seeing how on advisory number one, the system was only going to make it to a 40 MPH TS...I don't see how anyone could say it was an underachiever. Even at five advisories in, it was only foretasted to peak as a modest 80 MPH hurricane. Kirk was a far cry from an underachiever. Just because every storm doesn't become a category five with 200+ mph winds doesn't mean it was an underachiever. It was a fantastic system to watch, and had a beautiful satellite presentation.

This whole season has been achieving at or above expectations; We've already had five hurricanes, and the L stormed in front of even 2005. Like I said, just because every system doesn't explosively intensify doesn't mean it's been a failure.
0 likes   
I'm no expert, everything I say should be taken with a large amount of salt. I could easily be very, very wrong.
~Zanthe Go Coyotes~

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: KIRK - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#204 Postby hurricanes1234 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:06 am

I said towards the end he became an underachiever, because the forecasts predicted a peak of 110 mph. I never said that throughout its life it was an underachiever - look back at my post carefully and you'll see exactly what I mean.
0 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#205 Postby galaxy401 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:00 am

hurricanes1234 wrote:I said towards the end he became an underachiever, because the forecasts predicted a peak of 110 mph. I never said that throughout its life it was an underachiever - look back at my post carefully and you'll see exactly what I mean.

How is being off 5 mph considered an underachiever?...
0 likes   

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#206 Postby hurricanes1234 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:07 am

Zanthe wrote:Seeing how on advisory number one, the system was only going to make it to a 40 MPH TS...I don't see how anyone could say it was an underachiever. Even at five advisories in, it was only foretasted to peak as a modest 80 MPH hurricane. Kirk was a far cry from an underachiever. Just because every storm doesn't become a category five with 200+ mph winds doesn't mean it was an underachiever. It was a fantastic system to watch, and had a beautiful satellite presentation.

This whole season has been achieving at or above expectations; We've already had five hurricanes, and the L stormed in front of even 2005. Like I said, just because every system doesn't explosively intensify doesn't mean it's been a failure.

You're obviously exaggerating my statement to the point of being sarcastic. I don't mean to be rude, but who ever said Kirk was an underachiever throughout its life? Look back at my post thoroughly and you'll see that I said towards the end. And I don't need a 200+ mph Category 5 to satisfy me, I am not that silly. If I wanted a 200+ mph Category 5, I would not have tracked a SINGLE storm, because there haven't been any since several decades ago. So, there is no need to dramatize people's statements like this, doing that is of no use. As I said, I do not mean to be rude, I am just saying that what you posted in your reply to what I said was exaggerating my comment about Kirk not achieving the 110 mph the NHC predicted when it rapidly intensified into a 105 mph Category 2. Check the intensity forecast and the discussion when Kirk became a Category 2 and you will see that they predicted a peak of 110 mph. That's why I said TOWARDS THE END he underachieved by not attaining 110 mph. Throughout its existence, it WAS an overachiever, but just TOWARDS THE END he underachieved by not peaking at 110 mph. Next time, double-check the posts before incorrectly accusing the person of saying something that they never even mentioned.
0 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#207 Postby galaxy401 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:16 am

You were saying you hoped Kirk would become a major hurricane. Even if Kirk reached 110 mph, it still wouldn't of been considered a major hurricane. You will still keep complaining that this season is failing on getting storms to major. I'm not arguing just saying after observing your posts.

Back on the topic at hand, looks like Kirk is done as it's racing far to the north. Next advisory will probaby be the last one.
Last edited by galaxy401 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#208 Postby hurricanes1234 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:19 am

galaxy401 wrote:
hurricanes1234 wrote:I said towards the end he became an underachiever, because the forecasts predicted a peak of 110 mph. I never said that throughout its life it was an underachiever - look back at my post carefully and you'll see exactly what I mean.

Isn't 105 mph less than 110 mph? Last time I checked, 5 mph can be the difference between a tropical storm and a hurricane. It wouldn't be by much, but that's where the prefix 'under' comes from. I agree that Kirk was a lot more satisfying than many other storms of this season, but he minimally underachieved by 5 mph. I don't know why people are having such a hard time understanding what I am trying to say. I never said that Kirk was an overall underachiever, I just said that he did not quite attain the 110 mph.....why is everybody accusing me incorrectly?
0 likes   

Florida1118
Category 5
Category 5

#209 Postby Florida1118 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:25 am

hurricanes1234 wrote:
galaxy401 wrote:

Isn't 105 mph less than 110 mph? Last time I checked, 5 mph can be the difference between a tropical storm and a hurricane. It wouldn't be by much, but that's where the prefix 'under' comes from. I agree that Kirk was a lot more satisfying than many other storms of this season, but he minimally underachieved by 5 mph. I don't know why people are having such a hard time understanding what I am trying to say. I never said that Kirk was an overall underachiever, I just said that he did not quite attain the 110 mph.....why is everybody accusing me incorrectly?

Its not a big deal either way; forecast error is forecast error. Its really not underachieving if its a small increment below forecast...and its probably because you've been complaining for the last couple pages of how bad the season sucks.

Lets get back to Kirk though instead of Arguing. Not much to talk about though as it is should be ET soon per the NHC.
0 likes   

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#210 Postby hurricanes1234 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:39 am

Ok. FORGET IT. If all of you want to believe that I said that Kirk was a total underachiever, and that this season is the worst ever, then go right ahead. If all of you want to believe that I hate Hurricane Kirk, and it was a total disaster and was so boring to watch, I cannot help that. Go right ahead and believe whatever you all wish. This will most likely be my last post on this forum. Kirk was a good storm, IMO, but all of you are making it seem as though I am complaining bitterly and miserably about the hurricane, so forget what I said. End of story.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#211 Postby CrazyC83 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:07 pm

See you in 2018, Kirk!
0 likes   

greenkat
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#212 Postby greenkat » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:15 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:See you in 2018, Kirk!

BAHA lol :lol:
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org.

Hope this helped ;)

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

Re: ATL: KIRK - Post-Tropical - Discussion

#213 Postby somethingfunny » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:55 am

I refuse to believe Kirk is gone until Bones calls it.
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

brunota2003
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#214 Postby brunota2003 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:39 am

Captain Kirk has officially departed for deep space. He said there's no intelligent life out there ( :lol: )
0 likes   
Just a small town southern boy helping other humans.

Hurricane_Luis
Category 2
Category 2

#215 Postby Hurricane_Luis » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:18 pm

Here in SE England the Remnants of Kirk are bringing a few rain showers and gusty winds. I don't think long range forecasting is the Met offices strong point
0 likes   

Janie2006
Category 5
Category 5

#216 Postby Janie2006 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:25 pm

It'll be interesting to see Bones proclaim Kirk's death whilst Kirk's ghost overlooks his former body. Or something like that. :lol:
0 likes   

Return to “2012”