Moderator: S2k Moderators

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: Re:

#41 Postby tolakram » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Caesarp wrote:
tolakram wrote:
Caesarp wrote:I can't read that map anyway. I'm still clueless.

Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Right now it doesn't look like anything will be in the islands as the models show this is recurving up and out to sea before the islands. That does not mean they will be correct, you'll have to take the chance. This far out we really have no solid idea yet.

True, but IF it did hit the caribbean, when would it do so? Would it be over Labor Day weekend, or later next week?

According to the GFS it will be nearing the islands in about 4 to 5 days. I think if this is a cruise they will be paying attention and you'll be kept safe. In the end, it's up to you to make the decision.
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby KWT » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:05 pm

What people should remember is the models nearly all recurved Issac around 50-60W, and look how far west that one ended up. I doubt this one goes nearly as far west but it doesn't have to go that far west to cause real issues ot land...
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

Caesarp
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#43 Postby Caesarp » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:09 pm

According to the GFS it will be nearing the islands in about 4 to 5 days. I think if this is a cruise they will be paying attention and you'll be kept safe. In the end, it's up to you to make the decision.

Actually the decision will be my wife's! Also, this is not a cruise (I hate cruises). I fly out of Philadelphia at 6:00 AM tomorrow and arrive in St. Kitts (after a stop in Miami) by 2:00 PM. I then take a boat to Nevis from St. Kitts, and will be in Nevis till Tuesday, Sept. 4th. So this one worries me -- even if it recurves, it may be large enough to mess up the weather and make it cloudy in Nevis.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: INVEST 98L

#44 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:32 pm

Up to 60%

SHOWER AND THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY CONTINUES IN ASSOCIATION WITH A
BROAD AREA OF LOW PRESSURE ALONG A TROPICAL WAVE LOCATED ABOUT 900
MILES WEST OF THE CAPE VERDE ISLANDS. WHILE DEVELOPMENT IS NOT
IMMINENT...ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS APPEAR CONDUCIVE FOR A TROPICAL
DEPRESSION TO FORM IN THE NEXT DAY OR TWO. THIS SYSTEM HAS A HIGH
CHANCE...60 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE
NEXT 48 HOURS AS IT MOVES WESTWARD TO WEST-NORTHWESTWARD AT 15 TO
20 MPH.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

mascpa
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#45 Postby mascpa » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:43 pm

Leaving on a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale on Sept. 8th. Still a long way away but I'm hoping there are no serious tropical threats by then as the models would seem to indicate.
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby Gustywind » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:57 pm

AXNT20 KNHC 291750
TWDAT

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
205 PM EDT WED AUG 29 2012

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION FOR NORTH AMERICA...CENTRAL
AMERICA...GULF OF MEXICO...CARIBBEAN SEA...NORTHERN SECTIONS
OF SOUTH AMERICA...AND ATLANTIC OCEAN TO THE AFRICAN COAST
FROM THE EQUATOR TO 32N. THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS BASED
ON SATELLITE IMAGERY...WEATHER OBSERVATIONS...RADAR...AND
METEOROLOGICAL ANALYSIS.

BASED ON 1200 UTC SURFACE ANALYSIS AND SATELLITE IMAGERY
THROUGH 1745 UTC.

...SPECIAL FEATURES...

A 1009 MB LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM AND ASSOCIATED TROPICAL WAVE IS
CENTERED NEAR 13N35W. SCATTERED MODERATE TO ISOLATED STRONG
CONVECTION IS FROM 12N-17N BETWEEN 34W-45W. SIMILAR CONVECTION
IS FOUND TO THE SE FROM 8N-11N BETWEEN 37W-45W. ASSOCIATED TO
THE MONSOON TROUGH DISCUSSED BELOW. THE SHOWER ACTIVITY AROUND
THE CENTER HAS INCREASED COMPARED TO OBSERVATIONS 24 HOUR AGO.
WHILE DEVELOPMENT IS NOT IMMINENT...ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
APPEAR CONDUCIVE FOR A TROPICAL DEPRESSION TO FORM IN THE NEXT
DAY OR TWO. THIS SYSTEM HAS A HIGH CHANCE OF BECOMING A TROPICAL
CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#47 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:07 pm

18z Best Track

AL, 98, 2012082918, , BEST, 0, 133N, 376W, 25, 1009, DB

ftp://ftp.nhc.noaa.gov/atcf/tcweb/inves ... 012.invest
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

HurricaneAndrew92

#48 Postby HurricaneAndrew92 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:17 pm

Latest with approx center:

0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#49 Postby ROCK » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:19 pm

still has a lot of SAL to the north, stable air in front...still a ways away IMO....
0 likes   

HurricaneAndrew92

#50 Postby HurricaneAndrew92 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:22 pm

ROCK wrote:still has a lot of SAL to the north, stable air in front...still a ways away IMO....

We do have a lot of time to watch this system...if it is to threaten the islands, likely 4-5 days away.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby KWT » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:23 pm

Hmm that image shows very nicely that Kirk has already induced a weakness in the flow, you can see the inflow from Kirk to the NW of 98L. If Kirk strengthens too much that could cause issues for this one in the short term.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

Caesarp
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#52 Postby Caesarp » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:35 pm

HurricaneAndrew92 wrote:
ROCK wrote:still has a lot of SAL to the north, stable air in front...still a ways away IMO....

We do have a lot of time to watch this system...if it is to threaten the islands, likely 4-5 days away.

Is it me, or does the latest satellite images finally show some northward, as opposed to just westward movement?
0 likes   

HurricaneAndrew92

#53 Postby HurricaneAndrew92 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:37 pm

Caesarp wrote:
HurricaneAndrew92 wrote:

Is it me, or does the latest satellite images finally show some northward, as opposed to just westward movement?

WNW at most, but the last few frames are still at about 270.
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#54 Postby KWT » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:39 pm

Looks quite close to west to me, but it may well soon get tugged more to the WNW due to drawing closer to Kirk's longitude, and as Kirk looks stronger than expected at this stage and IMO has a good shot becoming a 2/3 hurricane, I think if that were to happen it'd be hard for 98L now to scooped up.
0 likes   

Meteorcane
Category 2
Category 2

#55 Postby Meteorcane » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:40 pm

This thing has some very good sfc convergence, although it is a little broad at the moment especially compared to Kirk. Shear looks to be low, however, there is some SAL ahead of it, however it already appears to have a good moisture envelope, which should protect it somewhat. It also has pretty little spin at this point, however, that its low latitude is probably the culprit at this point, as if it keeps up that convergence/UL venting it should spin up more.

Although the models do indicate a large weakness which should recurve it east of the islands, the models also depict a deep system, and thus far the tropical Atlantic has not been favorable for development. Although I do think this one may pick up some latitude pretty quickly if it were to deepen. Also Kirk's fate could influence the track/intensity of this system I think the strength/speed of Kirk would have a significant effect on 98L a strong Kirk could guide this thing farther west (although the Bermuda High looks very weak in future model runs) possibly threatening the Windward Islands.

Also most of the models keep Kirk weak, which would both strengthen this system (no competition with Kirk) and move it further east (no ridge development/deeper system).
0 likes   

VeniceInlet
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#56 Postby VeniceInlet » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:58 pm

Caesarp wrote:

Actually the decision will be my wife's! Also, this is not a cruise (I hate cruises). I fly out of Philadelphia at 6:00 AM tomorrow and arrive in St. Kitts (after a stop in Miami) by 2:00 PM. I then take a boat to Nevis from St. Kitts, and will be in Nevis till Tuesday, Sept. 4th. So this one worries me -- even if it recurves, it may be large enough to mess up the weather and make it cloudy in Nevis.

I don't know if you have thought of this already, but I would recommend buying vacation insurance. It is inexpensive and will cover you in case your trip is ruined due to a hurricane. Just google trip insurance and vacation insurance and you will find some insurers who can help you.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#57 Postby cycloneye » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:03 pm

The 850mb vorticity continues to increase.

0 likes   

Caesarp
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#58 Postby Caesarp » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:00 pm

VeniceInlet wrote:
Caesarp wrote:

I don't know if you have thought of this already, but I would recommend buying vacation insurance. It is inexpensive and will cover you in case your trip is ruined due to a hurricane. Just google trip insurance and vacation insurance and you will find some insurers who can help you.

I have it and in fact have "cancel for any reason insurance". However most people don't realize that vacation insurance generally only covers an actual emergency declared, official evacuation, airlines cancel, etc. You can't just say I watched the forecast models and I'm leaving and get your money back. While "cancel any reason" allows you to cancel no matter what, you have to cancel before 48 hours of your departure (which is too late for me now). So most such insurance is good only IF an actual event occurs. And by then, it may be too late to avoid the major hassles. My preference is to avoid sleeping in an airport or being evacuated to a shelter in a caribbean island with limited facilities (even if later I may get some money back).

So while insurance sounds good, the insurance companies have many outs and people need to read the policies carefully. I read insurance policies for a living and know that vacation insurance is mainly a scam.
0 likes   

HurricaneAndrew92

Re: ATL: INVEST 98L - Discussion

#59 Postby HurricaneAndrew92 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:57 pm

Looks close to a TD on wundergrounds Infared satellite.
0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 98L - Discussion

#60 Postby Blown Away » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:58 pm

Just like previous invests at this latitude, 98L is moving pretty fast at 15-20 mph and likely will develop slowly. Remember a day or so ago the models brought 98L into the GOM similar to Isaac's track.
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

Return to “2012”