ATL: SANDY - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: SANDY - Hurricane - Discussion

#1241 Postby Stephanie » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:24 pm

I AM NOT thrilled with seeing that Tropical Storm dot for Sandy sitting right over me (NJ). This is absolutely insane.

I hope that the close call with Irene last year doesn't make people in the Philadelphia/Delmarva/NYC area complacent. I have ALOT of trees our house. I'm 50 miles inland but 15 miles from the Delaware River. There's going to be a lot of flooding, flooded roads. I'm nervous.
0 likes   

WYNweather
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re:

#1242 Postby WYNweather » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:25 pm

AdamFirst wrote:Sand is piling up on A1A in Fort Lauderdale, by Las Olas Boulevard.

Not surprised. Starting to get worried about Next high tide at 5:47am low tonight 11:38. Water only about a foot below top of sea wall right now.
0 likes   

Weatherguy173
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1243 Postby Weatherguy173 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:26 pm

Stephanie wrote:I AM NOT thrilled with seeing that Tropical Storm dot for Sandy sitting right over me (NJ). This is absolutely insane.

I hope that the close call with Irene last year doesn't make people in the Philadelphia/Delmarva/NYC area complacent. I have ALOT of trees our house. I'm 50 miles inland but 15 miles from the Delaware River. There's going to be a lot of flooding, flooded roads. I'm nervous.

it would be the same for me, i am 30 mins. west of nyc and there is a small river that runs through my town (Rahway River) and during Irene it ripped up streets and uplifted floors and flooded buildings.
0 likes   
Nothing I say is intended to be a forecast; it's only food for thought and friendly advice!

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#1244 Postby ROCK » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Stephanie wrote:I AM NOT thrilled with seeing that Tropical Storm dot for Sandy sitting right over me (NJ). This is absolutely insane.

you should start preparing to be without power for some time and making sure you are prepped...just my 2 cents...the winds and surge are going to be over a wide area.
0 likes   

HurrMark
Category 2
Category 2

#1245 Postby HurrMark » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:32 pm

Recon is showing some weakening with a poorly defined eye...wouldn't be surprised to see it drop back to 90 at 11 PM...
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1246 Postby wxman57 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:35 pm

Stephanie,

You should prepare for an extended period without power starting Monday afternoon. Could be days or even weeks. This is no small, relatively weak Irene. Surface pressure at landfall is predicted to be lower than the 1938 hurricane, and the angle of impact will be worse.
0 likes   

JPmia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1247 Postby JPmia » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:36 pm

winds have definitely picked up here tonight in Ft. Lauderdale.. this is now rivaling Issac for us I am sure.. wonder how the tides are doing in the intercoastal because we've had higher tides lately.
0 likes   

WYNweather
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1248 Postby WYNweather » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:37 pm

ROCK wrote:

you should start preparing to be without power for some time and making sure you are prepped...just my 2 cents...the winds and surge are going to be over a wide area.

Gen is full and 15 gal back up. Was just outside. Transformer just blew about 3 blocks over still have power here been blowing all day palms starting to come loose.
Last edited by WYNweather on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1249 Postby Blown Away » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:37 pm

Joe Bastardi tweeting Sandy will be 100 miles or less and intesifying off the Florida coast.
Last edited by Blown Away on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1250 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:41 pm

Irene was NOT a close call for many. The flooding was enormous for many areas and it did over $18 billion in damage...
0 likes   

Bocadude85
Category 5
Category 5

#1251 Postby Bocadude85 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:42 pm

JPmia wrote:winds have definitely picked up here tonight in Ft. Lauderdale.. this is now rivaling Issac for us I am sure.. wonder how the tides are doing in the intercoastal because we've had higher tides lately.

Wind is maybe 15mph here in Boca Raton. Issac was much worse for us thus far.
0 likes   

thetraveler
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1252 Postby thetraveler » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:43 pm

Blown Away wrote:Joe Bastardi tweeting Sandy will be 100 miles or less and intesifying of the Florida coast.

Well it better make a hard left turn. Freeport is about 100 miles from Boca Raton and Sandy is east south east from there.
0 likes   

WYNweather
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1253 Postby WYNweather » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:44 pm

JPmia wrote:winds have definitely picked up here tonight in Ft. Lauderdale.. this is now rivaling Issac for us I am sure.. wonder how the tides are doing in the intercoastal because we've had higher tides lately.

Next high at 5:47am at Hillsboro Inlet low tonight 11:38
0 likes   

Bocadude85
Category 5
Category 5

#1254 Postby Bocadude85 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:46 pm

thetraveler wrote:
Blown Away wrote:Joe Bastardi tweeting Sandy will be 100 miles or less and intesifying of the Florida coast.

Well it better make a hard left turn. Freeport is about 100 miles from Boca Raton and Sandy is east south east from there.

Freeport is about 60 miles from Boca Raton
0 likes   

hurricaneCW
Category 5
Category 5

#1255 Postby hurricaneCW » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:48 pm

wxman57 wrote:

Stephanie,

You should prepare for an extended period without power starting Monday afternoon. Could be days or even weeks. This is no small, relatively weak Irene. Surface pressure at landfall is predicted to be lower than the 1938 hurricane, and the angle of impact will be worse.

I live in central nj, east brunswick to be exact, will it be as bad as southern nj or the coast? I don't want to discount the damage Irene caused for the northeast but my location was easily spared, wind damage was minimal, some flooding, and no power outages so can I expect a similar outcome or slightly worse?

And what are the chances that Sandy become a lot less severe once it gets up here similar to how Irene was forecast to be a Category 2 but instead was a strong tropical storm?
0 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1256 Postby ozonepete » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:48 pm

Satellite presentation has been improving.

2PM EDT TODAY:

9PM EDT TONIGHT:
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1257 Postby SFLcane » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:49 pm

Blown Away wrote:Joe Bastardi tweeting Sandy will be 100 miles or less and intesifying off the Florida coast.

Dont know how this possible when sandy is moving northward quickly at 20. Looks like its closest approach right now.
0 likes   

terstorm1012
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1258 Postby terstorm1012 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:50 pm

I haven't logged in at all in 2 seasons but did today after seeing WXMan57's deep concern. I don't think I've seen that since Katrina.

I now live in a 'manufactured home'. Should I just abandon it for a sturdier facility? It looks like it'll get ugly even where I live north of Harrisburg.
0 likes   

Stephanie
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1259 Postby Stephanie » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:50 pm

wxman57 wrote:

Stephanie,

I keep forgetting that the power could be out for days/weeks. It was at the New Jersey shore during those storms at the end of June. We do have a gas powered fireplace because it is supposed to get colder afterwards and that will bring some warmth. I'm getting new batteries tomorrow for the flashlights. My mother says she has some but doesn't know how old they are... :roll: We also have a gas stove and oven.

Thank you and Rock for the suggestions! I can at least charge my phone in the car. i'll get 9 volt batteries too for my clock/radio.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1260 Postby psyclone » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:50 pm

I'm afraid your fear at this point is warranted. the trends certainly don't look good for the mid atlantic and northeast. this may be a benchmark storm on long time weather watcher barometers over a wide area. hopefully many of the deciduous trees are ready to release their leaves so they hold up better in high winds.
0 likes   

Return to “2012”