stephen23
Category 1
Category 1

Re: ATL: SANDY - Hurricane - Discussion

#1202 Postby stephen23 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:20 pm

Seems to be moving nw now correct?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1203 Postby chaser1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:32 pm

stephen23 wrote:Seems to be moving nw now correct?

Interesting, the RUC (well now referred to as the RAP) model has Sandy sitting on Bimini in 24 hours. I am assuming the latest data from the dropsondes have been digested for the current run (and upcoming 0Z runs this eve?? Amazing how the NOGAPS & NAM have right on this system
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

stephen23
Category 1
Category 1

#1204 Postby stephen23 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:38 pm

chaser1 wrote:

Interesting, the RUC (well now referred to as the RAP) model has Sandy sitting on Bimini in 24 hours. I am assuming the latest data from the dropsondes have been digested for the current run (and upcoming 0Z runs this eve?? Amazing how the NOGAPS & NAM have right on this system

Seems to be right on Euro track as well.
0 likes   

Hurricane Alexis
Category 2
Category 2

#1205 Postby Hurricane Alexis » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Wow. Bimini is really close to the coast! This could turn to out to be a big surprise for SFL.
0 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1206 Postby ozonepete » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:44 pm

Core looks to be consolidating into a nice circular pattern again. That will let it maintain or even strengthen more again.

0 likes   

jhpigott
Category 2
Category 2

#1207 Postby jhpigott » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:49 pm

chaser1 wrote:

Hard to picture Sandy getting over towards Bimini. Would have to put on the brakes and head WNW
0 likes   

TheDreamTraveler
Category 2
Category 2

#1208 Postby TheDreamTraveler » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:51 pm

I feel as though many people along the East Coast, and well inland for that matter, are going to be really caught off guard by this storm. For example, the mentality of some of the people TWC has interviewed about the storm has me very concerned. Acting as if this is just another Nor'easter and that the media is just hyping it again. That may be the case for many storms, but not this one. This one has the potential to be historic, and one the Northeast and Mid Atlantic will possibly remember for decades. The amount and types of damage possible for so many locations is so unprecedented that even I can't almost believe it. I just hope people prepare and take all warnings seriously. This isn't your typical run-of-the-mill storm.
0 likes   

chris_fit
Category 5
Category 5

#1209 Postby chris_fit » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Per latest recon - we have a clear NNW heading for the first time
0 likes   

lhpfish
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1210 Postby lhpfish » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:57 pm

stephen23 wrote:
chaser1 wrote:

Seems to be right on Euro track as well.

Am I missing something? The way she's moving I can't see this nearing Bimini. The center seems to be north of Bimini already Or at least parallel

I do agree she seems to be crankIng again
0 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1211 Postby ozonepete » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:58 pm

chris_fit wrote:Per latest recon - we have a clear NNW heading for the first time

Right on the forecast track.
0 likes   

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#1212 Postby galaxy401 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:02 pm

chris_fit wrote:Per latest recon - we have a clear NNW heading for the first time

Advisory confirms it.

PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 345 DEGREES AT 17 MPH...27 KM/H
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

AdamFirst
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1213 Postby AdamFirst » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:08 pm

8PM advisory graphic has the center on the left edge of the current cone.
0 likes   
Dolphins Marlins Canes Golden Panthers HEAT
Andrew 1992 - Irene 1999 - Frances 2004 - Jeanne 2004 - Wilma 2005 - Fay 2008 - Isaac 2012 - Matthew 2016 - Irma 2017 - Dorian 2019 - Ian 2022 - Nicole 2022

jhpigott
Category 2
Category 2

#1214 Postby jhpigott » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:14 pm

Jim Cantore over at Singer Island, FL about 2 miles from my house. I forget - he used to act as a Hurricane shield. Does that still hold true or is he more of a Hurricane magnet now :D
0 likes   

WeatherGuesser
Category 5
Category 5

#1215 Postby WeatherGuesser » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:17 pm

NOTE THAT THE TROPICAL CYCLONE WIND SPEED PROBABILITIES ARE NOT
DESIGNED TO HANDLE THE TYPE OF STRUCTURAL CHANGES ANTICIPATED WITH
SANDY DURING THE FORECAST PERIOD. AS A RESULT...THESE PROBABILITIES
WILL UNDERESTIMATE THE ACTUAL RISK OF STRONG WINDS AWAY FROM THE
CENTER OF SANDY.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MI ... 2037.shtml

:eek:
0 likes   

WilmingtonSandbar
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1216 Postby WilmingtonSandbar » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:17 pm

jhpigott wrote:Jim Cantore over at Singer Island, FL about 2 miles from my house. I forget - he used to act as a Hurricane shield. Does that still hold true or is he more of a Hurricane magnet now :D

I know that in the 90s he was a magnet. At least on the NC coast he was. Maybe his polarity changed.
0 likes   
Diana X2 (look it up), Bertha, Fran, Bonnie, Floyd, Dennis, Charley, Ophelia, Ernesto, Irene, Matthew, And Florence

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#1217 Postby jlauderdal » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:20 pm

TheDreamTraveler wrote:I feel as though many people along the East Coast, and well inland for that matter, are going to be really caught off guard by this storm. For example, the mentality of some of the people TWC has interviewed about the storm has me very concerned. Acting as if this is just another Nor'easter and that the media is just hyping it again. That may be the case for many storms, but not this one. This one has the potential to be historic, and one the Northeast and Mid Atlantic will possibly remember for decades. The amount and types of damage possible for so many locations is so unprecedented that even I can't almost believe it. I just hope people prepare and take all warnings seriously. This isn't your typical run-of-the-mill storm.

this is 2012, nobody has an excuse to be caught off guard by anything these days unless you live in a cave with no access to the outside world...folks, its not like there is going to be a nuclear bomb set off...it could be a big deal and preparations will be made in hopes of minimizing the damage
0 likes   

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#1218 Postby dexterlabio » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:22 pm

Just the mere idea of a hybrid hurricane-nor'easter type of storm is already scary. :eek: I've seen the GFS agreeing with the rest of the models about a freakish weather system over NEUS. If this pans out, is it gonna be more like a "blizzard" event with heavy snow or a storm surge event because of high winds?

Keeping an eye on this. My relatives are having a vacation in New York and they'll only be coming back after Halloween...
0 likes   

Praxus
Category 1
Category 1

#1219 Postby Praxus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:23 pm

I'm seeing 'Frankenstorm', 'worst storm in 100 years', 'much worse than the Perfect Storm' etc headlines from the major news sites. So at least word is getting out. Hopefully it's over-hyped when all is said and done.
0 likes   

pricetag56
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1220 Postby pricetag56 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:28 pm

If a storm the size and strength the models are predicting hits NYC what kind of storm surge would we see 25ft or higher that have to be a category 5 surge at that size and strength? And another question I heard Brian Norcross on the weather channel saying it is possible for the storm to have a sub 940 pressure because the hurricane will get wrapped into the nor easter and then it will begin to regain tropical characteristics? So its basically like a hurricane on steroids? Can someone elaborate a little more on this because It is very interesting.
0 likes   

Return to “2012”