ATL: SANDY - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

RVAHudson
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: ATL: SANDY - Models

#581 Postby RVAHudson » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:55 pm

MWatkins wrote:
RVAHudson wrote:Hey guys... I've been lurking here for a while, but a quick question... Am I seeing this correctly that this latest euro run has Sandy coming in farther south, along the Chesapeake Bay, 96-120 hours out, or am I looking at this completely wrong? :double:

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/ECMWF ... b&hour=120

You are seeing that correctly.

This isn't the usual steering deal. Usually we're used to see systems pushed west by building high pressure to the north.

This time, Sandy will be "pulled" westward by the flow around the negatively-tilted trough over the upper midwest, it's acting like a magnet.

Moreover, the Sandy will have a lot of energy injected into it from that weather system. That baroclinic forcing will make this much larger than a normal tropical system. Winds will be very strong well north of the center. Could be historic.

This isn't without precedent, this has happened a lot of times over the years. It just hasn't happened since the internet has been around, so this a new experience for a lot of weather people.

MW

I was hoping that I was simply misinterpreting it. I work in public safety here in Richmond Virginia, and am trying to decide how plausible this scenario is, and consequently how prepared I should have my people at the station get; I have no meteorological training, just a hobby interest. Looking at that wind field makes me nervous, since we're only 70-100 miles SW of where the euro has her coming on shore. Then again, the GFS has her going much farther north, and I don't want to unduly alarm my people and look like Chicken Little :roll:
0 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#582 Postby artist » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:55 pm

MWatkins wrote:In this case (noting the graphic just posted) there will be a strong high well to the north, the flow between that ridge and the inverted trough will create a super-highway in the steering layer, so to speak...and Sandy will be sling-shotted into the US coast.

Interesting the 0Z GFS from overnight missed the connection, but all of the other models since then have not.

MW

good to see you Mike, and as always, enjoy hearing & trust your opinions.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#583 Postby tolakram » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:01 pm

Saved images from 12z euro run

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

MWatkins
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#584 Postby MWatkins » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:08 pm

RVAHudson wrote:
MWatkins wrote:
RVAHudson wrote:Hey guys... I've been lurking here for a while, but a quick question... Am I seeing this correctly that this latest euro run has Sandy coming in farther south, along the Chesapeake Bay, 96-120 hours out, or am I looking at this completely wrong? :double:

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/ECMWF ... b&hour=120

You are seeing that correctly.

This isn't the usual steering deal. Usually we're used to see systems pushed west by building high pressure to the north.

This time, Sandy will be "pulled" westward by the flow around the negatively-tilted trough over the upper midwest, it's acting like a magnet.

Moreover, the Sandy will have a lot of energy injected into it from that weather system. That baroclinic forcing will make this much larger than a normal tropical system. Winds will be very strong well north of the center. Could be historic.

This isn't without precedent, this has happened a lot of times over the years. It just hasn't happened since the internet has been around, so this a new experience for a lot of weather people.

MW

I was hoping that I was simply misinterpreting it. I work in public safety here in Richmond Virginia, and am trying to decide how plausible this scenario is, and consequently how prepared I should have my people at the station get; I have no meteorological training, just a hobby interest. Looking at that wind field makes me nervous, since we're only 70-100 miles SW of where the euro has her coming on shore. Then again, the GFS has her going much farther north, and I don't want to unduly alarm my people and look like Chicken Little :roll:

Yeah, that is the tough line you have to walk, but why you get paid the big bucks, right :)

It's easy to get absorbed into the individual model runs, but at the end of the day, the NHC does a great job of dealing with the probabilities in their official forecast track. They have a tremendous process and make verifiable forecasts accounting for what we do and don't know. That is worked into the cone of uncertainty...because nobody knows for sure how this going to go down 4-5 days out.

From a probabilistic standpoint, their forecasts are the best possible blend of the disparate guidance, and they know how to adjust for the uncertainty.

I did not know until a recent visit to the NHC that the wind probability graphic is a Monte Carlo simulation of 1000 outcomes of the storm, starting with the official forecast track and working from there. That wind speed probability graphic is probably your best reference for the likelihood of dealing with Sandy, although their probabilities are understated because the product wasn't built for hybrid storms.

There is some time before decisions have to be made (I think) so stick to your plan and good luck.

MW
0 likes   
Updating on the twitter now: http://www.twitter.com/@watkinstrack

xironman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#585 Postby xironman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:11 pm

MWatkins wrote:

I did not know until a recent visit to the NHC that the wind probability graphic is a Monte Carlo simulation of 1000 outcomes of the storm, starting with the official forecast track and working from there. That wind speed probability graphic is probably your best reference for the likelihood of dealing with Sandy, although their probabilities are understated because the product wasn't built for hybrid storms.

There is some time before decisions have to be made (I think) so stick to your plan and good luck.

MW

Interesting tidbit from the 11am NHC discussion

Code: Select all

NOTE THAT THE TROPICAL CYCLONE WIND SPEED PROBABILITIES ARE NOT
DESIGNED TO HANDLE THE TYPE OF STRUCTURAL CHANGES ANTICIPATED WITH
SANDY DURING THE FORECAST PERIOD. AS A RESULT...THESE PROBABILITIES
WILL UNDERESTIMATE THE ACTUAL RISK OF STRONG WINDS AWAY FROM THE
CENTER OF SANDY.
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#586 Postby ROCK » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:24 pm

did I see a 930MB at landfall? wow!! that is unbelievable if verified...
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#587 Postby gatorcane » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:27 pm

Look at the bend NW in the Bahamas by the 12Z Global FIM model that just ran....look how close Sandy is to Florida. Models are latching onto the building mid-atlantic ridge that is for sure:

0 likes   

chris_fit
Category 5
Category 5

#588 Postby chris_fit » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:29 pm

I think it's going to do a loop in the N. Bahamas - More an more model support for this. Scare the pants off some people on the EC of FL...
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#589 Postby ROCK » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:30 pm

0 likes   

Blown Away
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#590 Postby Blown Away » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:57 pm

gatorcane wrote:Look at the bend NW in the Bahamas by the 12Z Global FIM model that just ran....look how close Sandy is to Florida. Models are latching onto the building mid-atlantic ridge that is for sure:

Can you provide a link?
0 likes   
Hurricane Eye Experience: David 79, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05...
Hurricane Brush Experience: Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Matthew 16, Irma 17, Ian 22, Nicole 22…

storm4u
Category 2
Category 2

#591 Postby storm4u » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:00 pm

did all the nws offices collect data for the 18z models or do we have to wait until 0z?
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#592 Postby Ptarmigan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:11 pm

ROCK wrote:did I see a 930MB at landfall? wow!! that is unbelievable if verified...

If that is the case, that would be one of the most intense storm to hit the East Coast.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#593 Postby gatorcane » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:12 pm

Link to FIM model:

http://fim.noaa.gov/
0 likes   

WxGuy1
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#594 Postby WxGuy1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:14 pm

storm4u wrote:did all the nws offices collect data for the 18z models or do we have to wait until 0z?

See http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/soundings/ and notice all the blue dots on the 1800 UTC image. I don't think I've ever seen nearly every NWS office in the CONUS launch special "off-hour" (e.g., 18 UTC, 6 UTC, etc.) like this before...
0 likes   

Miami Storm Tracker
Category 3
Category 3

Re:

#595 Postby Miami Storm Tracker » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:32 pm

gatorcane wrote:Look at the bend NW in the Bahamas by the 12Z Global FIM model that just ran....look how close Sandy is to Florida. Models are latching onto the building mid-atlantic ridge that is for sure:

I know the NAM is the NAM but it has had two runs in a row that show some strange spreading out and doing a loop to the west as well.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#596 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:42 pm

18z NAM givien the satellite appearance and structure with all that mess well to its west some version of the 18z NAm may actually happen..

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appc ... mageSize=M
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#597 Postby ROCK » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:58 pm

WxGuy1 wrote:
storm4u wrote:did all the nws offices collect data for the 18z models or do we have to wait until 0z?

See http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/soundings/ and notice all the blue dots on the 1800 UTC image. I don't think I've ever seen nearly every NWS office in the CONUS launch special "off-hour" (e.g., 18 UTC, 6 UTC, etc.) like this before...

well they are sure concerned about it...Did they fly any G-IV missions? or they just relying on balloons?
0 likes   

Evil Jeremy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#598 Postby Evil Jeremy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:16 pm

ROCK wrote:
WxGuy1 wrote:

well they are sure concerned about it...Did they fly any G-IV missions? or they just relying on balloons?

GIV this Saturday.
0 likes   
Frances 04 / Jeanne 04 / Katrina 05 / Wilma 05 / Fay 08 / Debby 12 / Andrea 13 / Colin 16 / Hermine 16 / Matthew 16 / Irma 17

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#599 Postby ROCK » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:34 pm

ok that makes sense....they have plenty of obs right now along the EC
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#600 Postby ROCK » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:40 pm

12Z CMC...didnt see it posted on here....same as 0Z....brutal...

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/cmctc2.c ... =Animation
0 likes   

Return to “2012”