ATL: SANDY - Recon Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1769
Age: 25
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:04 pm
Location: Casa Grande, Arizona

#201 Postby galaxy401 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:57 pm

Yet I noticed the NOLA plane found 954 there minutes earlier. Did they miss the center or what?
0 likes   
I don't get hurricanes here but I do get their remnants.

HenkL
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 2401
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:33 pm
Location: Groningen, The Netherlands
Contact:

#202 Postby HenkL » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:24 pm

Don't rely on extrapolated values. These are only an indication. Dropsondes give the best estimate you can get.
0 likes   

Chris_in_Tampa
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 4757
Age: 37
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:06 pm
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA
Contact:

#203 Postby Chris_in_Tampa » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:51 pm

The most recent AF vortex was preliminary too with 952 extrap and they have yet to release a final one. The dropsonde for the pass measured 950mb with 10 knots of wind though.
0 likes   

User avatar
artist
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 9641
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:26 pm
Location: West Palm

#204 Postby artist » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:46 pm

anyone able to take over recon for me?
0 likes   

Hey Its Me
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:49 pm

Re:

#205 Postby Hey Its Me » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:45 am

artist wrote:anyone able to take over recon for me?


I can for a while. What's the best URL to pull the raw text from? I just use Google Earth mainly.
0 likes   

User avatar
cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 4146
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: ATL: SANDY - Recon Discussion

#206 Postby cheezyWXguy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:48 am

Can someone explain those sfmr readings in the 70 to 80kt range? None of them are flagged and theres several of them, but the FL winds are significantly less. Are they plausible?
0 likes   

User avatar
artist
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 9641
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:26 pm
Location: West Palm

Re: Re:

#207 Postby artist » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:52 am

Hey Its Me wrote:
artist wrote:anyone able to take over recon for me?


I can for a while. What's the best URL to pull the raw text from? I just use Google Earth mainly.

thank you! I have done 51, and there is now another flight headed out, it appears. So there is now an 01 obs there. Will double check google earth to make certain for you. Also been waiting on the latest vortex, and it still hasn't come through. Here is the link for it -
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/MIAREPNT2.shtml
main page for all the data -
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/recon.php
yep AF302 is on its way. This current flight is AF308
Hope it's not too confusing. AF308 should be done here pretty quickly.
0 likes   

User avatar
artist
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 9641
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:26 pm
Location: West Palm

Re: ATL: SANDY - Recon Discussion

#208 Postby artist » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:53 am

cheezyWXguy wrote:Can someone explain those sfmr readings in the 70 to 80kt range? None of them are flagged and theres several of them, but the FL winds are significantly less. Are they plausible?

yes, they are, they may be a tad lower due to rain contamination. I am not sure what the level is to make it significant, but I believe 10 is not that much. This area of the storm has always been the highest readings today.
0 likes   

Hey Its Me
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:49 pm

Re: Re:

#209 Postby Hey Its Me » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:54 am

artist wrote:
Hey Its Me wrote:
artist wrote:anyone able to take over recon for me?


I can for a while. What's the best URL to pull the raw text from? I just use Google Earth mainly.

thank you! I have done 51, and there is now another flight headed out, it appears. So there is now an 01 obs there. Will double check google earth to make certain for you. Also been waiting on the latest vortex, and it still hasn't come through. Here is the link for it -
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/MIAREPNT2.shtml
main page for all the data -
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/recon.php
yep AF302 is on its way. This current flight is AF308
Hope it's not too confusing. AF308 should be done here pretty quickly.


OK, all is good. I'm used to reading the NOAA and AF*** at the same time so no big deal.
0 likes   

User avatar
artist
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 9641
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:26 pm
Location: West Palm

#210 Postby artist » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:58 am

Perfect! Thank you. Just remember they are both posting under the AF HDOB since they are both AF flights. The 308 should be going home soon though, I would think.
0 likes   

Hey Its Me
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:49 pm

Re:

#211 Postby Hey Its Me » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:01 am

artist wrote:Perfect! Thank you. Just remember they are both posting under the AF HDOB since they are both AF flights. The 308 should be going home soon though, I would think.


Agree, 308 looks to be heading back. Got it from here!
0 likes   

Hey Its Me
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:49 pm

#212 Postby Hey Its Me » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:10 am

AF302 Wheels up and inbound...
0 likes   

Hey Its Me
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:49 pm

#213 Postby Hey Its Me » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:26 am

Ah, S2K back from error 500 fun...
0 likes   

Hey Its Me
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:49 pm

#214 Postby Hey Its Me » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:32 am

I will also start posting Google Earth images once AF302 gets down to flight level in Sandy.
0 likes   

User avatar
Evil Jeremy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 5431
Age: 27
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:10 pm
Location: Plantation/Sunrise, FL

Re:

#215 Postby Evil Jeremy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:49 am

Hey Its Me wrote:Ah, S2K back from error 500 fun...


Yea, happens daily. I think it's a server archive thing.
0 likes   
Frances 04 / Jeanne 04 / Katrina 05 / Wilma 05 / Fay 08 / Debby 12 / Andrea 13 / Colin 16 / Hermine 16 / Matthew 16 / Irma 17

Hey Its Me
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:49 pm

Re: Re:

#216 Postby Hey Its Me » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:57 am

Evil Jeremy wrote:
Hey Its Me wrote:Ah, S2K back from error 500 fun...


Yea, happens daily. I think it's a server archive thing.



Figured as much...just was a little freaked after a page refresh...having just taken over Recon duty for my first time. lol


:D
0 likes   

Hey Its Me
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:49 pm

#217 Postby Hey Its Me » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:01 am

Not the right thread, Sorry!
Last edited by Hey Its Me on Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Hey Its Me
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:49 pm

#218 Postby Hey Its Me » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:22 am

BIG lag for AF302 2318A SANDY HDOB 34 20121029 report...guess the masses are waking up!
0 likes   

Hey Its Me
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:49 pm

#219 Postby Hey Its Me » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:47 am

Crap! Was waiting for the ~6:38AM EST reports, but fell asleep waiting for the subsequent reports after that.

Sorry! :(
Last edited by Hey Its Me on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

User avatar
Dave
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
Posts: 13442
Age: 70
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Milan Indiana
Contact:

Re:

#220 Postby Dave » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:49 am

Hey Its Me wrote:Crap! Was waiting for the ~6:38AM EST reports, but feel asleep waiting for the subsequent reports after that.

Sorry! :(


It's ok, we all have to sleep at times. I'm up and on for awhile now too....but would rather be back to sleep...it's Monday. ;)
0 likes   


Return to “2012”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest