Category 5
Category 5

Re: WPAC: BOPHA - Remnants

#821 Postby mrbagyo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:57 am

for the complete assesment of damage from NDRRMC:
death toll is now > 1000
http://www.ndrrmc.gov.ph/attachments/article/835/29%20Update.pdf
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC, NHC and NWS products.

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#822 Postby dexterlabio » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:48 pm

it is set to exceed Washi death toll. really, it makes me think that a TC hit in Mindanao will give you a large number of casualties at hand. :roll: this only reflects how neglected and underdeveloped that part of the country is...in terms of government, infrastructure, and more...

OT: i saw the GFS rus and some consecutive runs showing something nasty again. join us with positive thoughts and hope that Bopha will be the last for the Philippines this year...
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#823 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:26 pm

There is another possible cyclone again.... Headed for the Visayas and Northern part of Mindanao.
(agreed by both GFS and NOGAPS)

GFS:
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/ ... RES=0&WMO=

NOGAPS:
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/ ... O=&PERIOD=

BAD NEWS: Quite Large, making landfall on Christmas Eve. Might bring floods. Forecast to hit Cebu which has a high population. (4,000,000+), nearly 900,000 in Cebu City alone.
GOOD NEWS: Significantly weaker than Bopha.
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5

#824 Postby mrbagyo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:56 pm

will that be a Christmas present of the wpac to the Philippines? it's still too early to tell what's gonna happen in the coming days
http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller?prevPage=Model&MainPage=index&image=&page=Param&cycle=12%2F16%2F2012+18UTC&rname=SFC-LAYER+PARMS&pname=850_temp_mslp_precip&pdesc=&model=GFS&area=ASIA&cat=MODEL+GUIDANCE&fcast=Loop+All&areaDesc=Asia&prevArea=ASIA&currKey=model&returnToModel=&imageSize=M

believe it or not, Bopha is the only tropical cyclone to make landfall in the Philippines at Typhoon strength and it is at cat 5 level..
the other systems at lower intensity being Kaitak and Son-Tinh..
Luzon: Kaitak
Visayas: Son- Tinh
Mindanao: Bopha.. death toll now at 1043, damage is PHP24,160,920,528.05
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC, NHC and NWS products.

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#825 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:53 pm

mrbagyo wrote:will that be a Christmas present of the wpac to the Philippines? it's still too early to tell what's gonna happen in the coming days
http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller?prevPage=Model&MainPage=index&image=&page=Param&cycle=12%2F16%2F2012+18UTC&rname=SFC-LAYER+PARMS&pname=850_temp_mslp_precip&pdesc=&model=GFS&area=ASIA&cat=MODEL+GUIDANCE&fcast=Loop+All&areaDesc=Asia&prevArea=ASIA&currKey=model&returnToModel=&imageSize=M

believe it or not, Bopha is the only tropical cyclone to make landfall in the Philippines at Typhoon strength and it is at cat 5 level..
the other systems at lower intensity being Kaitak and Son-Tinh..
Luzon: Kaitak
Visayas: Son- Tinh
Mindanao: Bopha.. death toll now at 1043, damage is PHP24,160,920,528.05

Super Typhoon Bopha (Pablo) is the 9th deadliest typhoon in the Philippines and the 2nd costliest typhoon in the country.

If the POSSIBLE system will be a depression in the PAR, it will be named 'Quinta', the next name on the list. If it becomes a storm, the JMA will name it 'Wukong'.

'Pablo' is officially retired, but there's no name selected yet to replace it. It should not end with an 'ng' suffix (ex. Bising, Atring, Ruping). It must be a nickname without the 'ng'. (ex. Gorio, Ruby, Quiel)

The last time a storm directly hit Cebu was tropical storm Lando (int'l name: Hagibis). It was a weak storm but peak gusts reached 50 km/h last Nov. 19, 2007.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/sta ... atename=NA

And probably the coming one.... QUINTA! (may reach severe tropical storm strength/category 1)
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5

#826 Postby mrbagyo » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:45 pm

Nogaps at christmas eve...
0 likes   

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5

#827 Postby HurricaneBill » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:18 pm

Damage from Bopha in the Philippines is now more than 34 billion pesos. This makes Bopha the Philippines' costliest typhoon.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#828 Postby cycloneye » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:01 pm

Sadly there will be no Christmas celebrations for many in the areas affected by Bopha. (Pablo)

MANILA, Philippines - Survivors of a typhoon that ravaged the southern Philippines will bypass Christmas this year as they hole up in evacuation centers and continue to bury their dead, officials said Sunday.

Instead of presents and carols, thousands of people on the island of Mindanao will be more concerned with food, water and shelter, civil defense chief Benito Ramos said.

Instead of a traditional Christmas dinner, the government will distribute special packs of spaghetti, corned beef and fruit salad.

"There will no celebrations. It is just too sad. It will just be a regular day. We do not call it Christmas," he told AFP as relief workers rushed supplies to towns flattened by Typhoon Pablo (international name: Bopha), which slammed into the island on December 4.

So far 1,067 people have been confirmed dead, with more than 800 missing, according to the government.

Ramos said that -- unlike in the rest of the majority-Catholic Philippines -- there would be no Christmas parties in the storm hit towns, just the burials of bodies.

Many of the dead are in an advanced state of decomposition after failing to be identified.

Ramos denied reports that bodies had been dumped in a mass grave on Sunday.

"There was a semblance of a decent burial after the 17 bodies were identified," he said.

The burial was helped by the donation of 500 coffins from a province north of Manila, he added.

Ramos's office said there were still 13,940 people living in evacuation centers almost three weeks after the storm. More than 959,000 others have returned to the ruins of their homes or are staying with relatives.

Dr. Martin Pareno, nutrition coordinator for Action Against Hunger International, said in a recent visit to the affected area he had seen people desperate for help.

"It's a heartrending thing. There is no sign of Christmas in the whole area," he told AFP.

"The number one problem is shelter, clearing debris, sanitation. There is no electricity or water service. They will have to provide for that before any social activities."

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/regio ... hoon-pablo
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#829 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:45 am

The name Ampil is the replacement name for this storm.
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#830 Postby 1900hurricane » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:39 am

Bopha has been sorted into the wrong year.
0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re:

#831 Postby cycloneye » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:56 am

1900hurricane wrote:Bopha has been sorted into the wrong year.

Thanks for advising us.It happens sometimes that we move wrong threads and this time as new folders were made it occurred but is now in the proper one at 2012.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Return to “2012”