ATL: Ex NINE

Moderator: S2k Moderators

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#101 Postby ozonepete » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:52 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:Shear needs to seriously come down if anything ever wants to form from this. Currently in the GoM shear values are 30-60kts, and the W. Caribbean doesn't look much different.

The models, especially GFS, anticipate this to move into the NW Caribbean by Thursday/Friday and most forecast shear to be very light there at that time. Seems quite reasonable.
0 likes   

SouthFLTropics
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 93L - Discussion

#102 Postby SouthFLTropics » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:58 pm

There is definite clear rotation in the BOC and unless my eyes are playing tricks on me it appears to have begun making its move eastward.

SFT
0 likes   
Fourth Generation Floridian...With lots of storm knowledge passed down from my elders...

Personal Storm History: David 79, Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05, Matthew 16, Irma 17

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#103 Postby fci » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:08 pm

wxman57 wrote:So far, I'm not seeing anything to suggest a Hurricane, much less a major hurricane (as of yet). Just looked at the high-res Euro and it's solution doesn't look too unreasonable. The low is more of a hybrid by the time it's in the NE Caribbean. The Euro clearly depicts it as frontal, with plenty of cool/dry air flowing across the Gulf toward the Yucatan.

By next Tuesday, the Euro has the low crossing Cuba and moving into the SE Gulf, with a frontal system trailing off to the east across the southern FL Peninsula and still more cool/dry air flowing into the eastern Gulf. The low is depicted as frontal and non-tropical in nature, with a large area of light winds surrounded by winds of 15-25 kts.

Will the above happen? Maybe. I'm not so confident about anything after Thu/Fri of this week much less a week from then. But I'd believe the Euro over the other models.

You didn't intend to say NE Caribbean, did you?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts are just my opinion and are most likely not backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
Bottom line is that I am just expressing my opinion!!!

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#104 Postby gatorcane » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:13 pm

850MB vorticity is strong:

0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#105 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:24 pm

ozonepete wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:Shear needs to seriously come down if anything ever wants to form from this. Currently in the GoM shear values are 30-60kts, and the W. Caribbean doesn't look much different.

The models, especially GFS, anticipate this to move into the NW Caribbean by Thursday/Friday and most forecast shear to be very light there at that time. Seems quite reasonable.

The question is how long it stays in the NS Caribbean? That is key to how much it could strengthen.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#106 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:32 pm

Since 92L seems unlikely to develop this should become Hanna. So the curse of the "I" storm seems unlikely.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#107 Postby ozonepete » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:40 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:Since 92L seems unlikely to develop this should become Hanna. So the curse of the "I" storm seems unlikely.

That's good because the "I" storm name - Isaias - is pretty much unpronounceable for most Americans, lol.
0 likes   

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#108 Postby tropicwatch » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:41 pm

ozonepete wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:Since 92L seems unlikely to develop this should become Hanna. So the curse of the "I" storm seems unlikely.

That's good because the "I" storm name - Isaias - is pretty much unpronounceable for most Americans, lol.

Bad form :roll:
0 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#109 Postby cycloneye » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:48 pm

00z Best Track:

AL, 93, 2014102100, , BEST, 0, 195N, 952W, 25, 1006, LO
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#110 Postby Hammy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:05 pm

spiral wrote:"Highly- unlikely''

Shear appears to be dropping.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#111 Postby ronjon » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:09 pm

Well given we already have low pressure in the BOC, near unanimous support from global models, and NHC odds of 60%, I'd give likely pretty good odds, lol.
0 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#112 Postby ozonepete » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:14 pm

ronjon wrote:Well given we already have low pressure in the BOC, near unanimous support from global models, and NHC odds of 60%, I'd give likely pretty good odds, lol.

Well said. The models and the NHC are already well aware of the negatives; it's not like they're not including them in their calculations. It's not what the shear is now, but what it's forecast to be, that matters.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#113 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:14 pm

Hammy wrote:

Where? Only in the small vicinity of the Yucatsn Channel does it look to be dropping.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#114 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:17 pm

ozonepete wrote:
ronjon wrote:Well given we already have low pressure in the BOC, near unanimous support from global models, and NHC odds of 60%, I'd give likely pretty good odds, lol.

Well said. The models and the NHC are already well aware of the negatives; it's not like they're not including them in their calculations. It's not what the shear is now, but what it's forecast to be, that matters.

I know it is likely to develop one way or another at this point, but there have been many times this season where the NHC's TWO development percentages have greatly busted. (Mostly due to them buying into the GFS's many phantom storms this year. :lol: )
0 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#115 Postby ozonepete » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:24 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
Hammy wrote:

Where? Only in the small vicinity of the Yucatsn Channel does it look to be dropping.

Watch the satellite loops, especially rgb. You can see it happening. Btw, west-southwest to southwest shear that is currently occurring is actually good for this developing low - the fast upper level winds are evacuating air from the top of the low, allowing for surface convergence and thus for thunderstorms to redevelop and intensify. As long as the developing MLC and LLC do not move further north, this shear is more beneficial than harmful.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#116 Postby Hammy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:35 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
ozonepete wrote:

I know it is likely to develop one way or another at this point, but there have been many times this season where the NHC's TWO development percentages have greatly busted. (Mostly due to them buying into the GFS's many phantom storms this year. :lol: )

To be fair, the ones that busted were beyond 48 hours and for waves that hadn't yet emerged. I would say this has a decent chance of developing, I think the biggest question is will it be fully tropical or hybrid.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#117 Postby ozonepete » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:42 pm

Hammy wrote:
To be fair, the ones that busted were beyond 48 hours and for waves that hadn't yet emerged. I would say this has a decent chance of developing, I think the biggest question is will it be fully tropical or hybrid.

I agree. Using climatology and the forecast conditions as they are now, if it doesn't develop until Friday it should start out subtropical around southern Florida and Cuba but after that, if it does indeed hang out for days in that area it would most likely convert from subtropical to tropical during that time period.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#118 Postby gatorcane » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:17 pm

00Z position and movement:

At 0000 UTC, 21 October 2014, LOW INVEST (AL93) was located in the North Atlantic basin at 19.5°N and 95.2°W. The current intensity was 25 kt and the center was moving at 2 kt at a bearing of 75 degrees. The minimum central pressure was 1006 mb.

http://www.ral.ucar.edu/guidance/realti ... /al932014/
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#119 Postby chaser1 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:27 pm

Well, I walked away for a few hours, but certainly expected continued organization. Convection sure has waned.... diurnal? Water vapor shows the dry air on it west side. Center looks to be at 20 & 95W. I'm not sure if that indicates the eastward motion already, or simply a reorganized COC. Either way, the development curve it appeared to be on has at least temporarily halted. I'm not so sure that they'll send recon out if still looking like it's present self; Perhaps they'll fly on Wed. if model support continues. Then, I'd guess the Gulfstream would serve the greatest benefit.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#120 Postby ozonepete » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:28 pm

spiral wrote:
Wow right on cue.

Within 72 hours it will be captured in the present conditions i don't see 93L getting any better then it is now a TD at best.

And I promise I won't save this prediction of yours and bring it up on Thursday or Friday. :wink:
Last edited by ozonepete on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Return to “2014”