ATL: BERTHA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: BERTHA - Hurricane - Discussion

#1281 Postby NDG » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:08 pm

wxman57 wrote:I just can't believe this is a hurricane. I can't even identify a well-defined LLC on visible loops.

http://home.comcast.net/~cgh57/Bertha5.JPG

Here, I marked it for you, she is one ugly hurricane, doubt that recon will find that she is still a hurricane, IMO. Outflows going everywhere, there is even one from the storms by the Bahamas going into Bertha's circulation.

0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1282 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:10 pm

This looks like scrambled eggs....

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1283 Postby wxman57 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:12 pm

somethingfunny wrote:
wxman57 wrote:I just can't believe this is a hurricane. I can't even identify a well-defined LLC on visible loops.

http://home.comcast.net/~cgh57/Bertha5.JPG

If I didn't know any better I'd say it might be time to make this an Invest.

Perhaps recon was measuring winds from collapsing squalls NE of the weak center earlier today? Recon just passed NE of the center and found a peak FL wind of 54 knots with a surface pressure 1003.7mb. No way this is a hurricane.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#1284 Postby Sanibel » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:40 pm

No doubt it's broken down badly.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1285 Postby tolakram » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:44 pm

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1286 Postby wxman57 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:47 pm

NHC didn't downgrade it, but they have to question whether it is really a hurricane. They're just waiting for the complete recon report before downgrading, I suppose.

From the discussion:

Flight-level wind data from that earlier mission
also showed that the circulation had a very small extent over the
northwestern quadrant, and high-resolution visible imagery shows low
clouds moving northwestward, away from the center, not far from the
center over that quadrant. This suggests that, if the environmental
low-level flow increases, Bertha may have a difficult time
maintaining a closed circulation.
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

Did someone make an error or is ADT failing?

#1287 Postby Cyclenall » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:49 pm

I can't believe it either, when I heard on TV it became one I thought how? This is more mind-blowing than annular category 4 hurricane Iselle in the Epac. On satellite it looks like a sheared TD (I agree with it might be time to make it an invest but I've seen better looking waves :lol: ). You might be right about this being a very rare mistake (recon measuring winds from collapsing squalls) but if its found not to be one, just point to this as an example why satellite estimates can't be trusted.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1288 Postby gatorcane » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:11 pm

Could a post-analysis be done that could possibly revert Bertha back to only attaining T.S. status?
0 likes   

TropicalAnalystwx13
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#1289 Postby TropicalAnalystwx13 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:14 pm

gatorcane wrote:Could a post-analysis be done that could possibly revert Bertha back to only attaining T.S. status?

Will a post-season analysis be performed? Yes. Will they downgrade it to a tropical storm? No. Why would they? Recon found plenty of evidence to support a 80 mph cyclone this morning.

People need to understand that the only difference between tropical depressions, tropical storms, and hurricanes is wind.
0 likes   

TropicalAnalystwx13
Category 5
Category 5

#1290 Postby TropicalAnalystwx13 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:29 pm

It's still a hurricane via recon.
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1291 Postby RL3AO » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:40 pm

What a fantastic couple days in the tropics. Typhoon bombed out to cat 5 intensity, we have an annular cat 4 in the Pacific, a tropical cyclone is about to become a double basin crosser, we have another storm in the EPac that could become another major, and the strangest hurricane in the Atlantic you'll see for along time.

Just waiting for someone to say "this year has been boring" in the next week or two.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1292 Postby Hammy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:45 pm

A few things to note as to why I don't think the hurricane upgrade was mistaken. The pressure dropped significantly yesterday, from 1012 to 998 in about 12 hours, the wind was likely catching up to this, in addition to the fact that because of the small size and higher than normal pressure around it, this caused a sharp pressure gradient, and small storms like this can spin up very quickly (and spin down just as quickly.)
Bonnie in 2004 in the Gulf, also a very small system, spun up and back down fairly quickly on two separate occasions, but didn't make it to hurricane due to higher shear and less of a pressure gradient.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

weathernerdguy
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#1293 Postby weathernerdguy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:46 pm

RL3AO wrote:What a fantastic couple days in the tropics. Typhoon bombed out to cat 5 intensity, we have an annular cat 4 in the Pacific, a tropical cyclone is about to become a double basin crosser, we have another storm in the EPac that could become another major, and the strangest hurricane in the Atlantic you'll see for along time.

Just waiting for someone to say "this year has been boring" in the next week or two.

This season has been boring. Lol.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#1294 Postby galaxy401 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:48 pm

weathernerdguy wrote:
RL3AO wrote:What a fantastic couple days in the tropics. Typhoon bombed out to cat 5 intensity, we have an annular cat 4 in the Pacific, a tropical cyclone is about to become a double basin crosser, we have another storm in the EPac that could become another major, and the strangest hurricane in the Atlantic you'll see for along time.

Only in the Atlantic will you see the strangest hurricanes. :P
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

Hurricane_Luis
Category 2
Category 2

#1295 Postby Hurricane_Luis » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:39 pm

I am very surprised to see this a 75 mph hurricane. Looks more like an Invest to me.
0 likes   

weathernerdguy
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Re:

#1296 Postby weathernerdguy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:17 pm

galaxy401 wrote:
weathernerdguy wrote:

Only in the Atlantic will you see the strangest hurricanes. :P

I know right, the Atlantic is coming back to the low activity era (no?) but, it is still bringing in surprises!
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#1297 Postby wxman57 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:21 pm

Hurricane_Luis wrote:I am very surprised to see this a 75 mph hurricane. Looks more like an Invest to me.

Forecasters at the NHC were waiting for the recon data before downgrading. Data seem to suggest a 40-45 kt TS.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1298 Postby Hammy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:23 pm

Very likely downgraded next time the BT update comes out.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1299 Postby NDG » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:24 pm

Bertha's LLC is now almost 100% exposed, no way she's still a hurricane.

0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1300 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:41 pm

She was a fighter from the start, definitely feeling effects of the trof I'd say this is about her last hurrah. She goes with Ingrid last year of being one of the most unattractive looking gals for a hurricane during that stage. 2/2/0 for the Atlantic! I believe the last time we started with 2 Hurricanes was 1983 via Alicia and Barry.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Return to “2014”