ATL: GONZALO - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

#81 Postby TARHEELPROGRAMMER » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:08 pm

It is moving WSW some it looks like to my eyes.
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#82 Postby Gustywind » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:17 pm

:darrow:

Mention as a special feature ...

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
805 PM EDT SAT OCT 11 2014

A TROPICAL WAVE WITH AN EMBEDDED 1009 MB LOW IS AT AROUND 350 NM
E OF THE LESSER ANTILLES WITH AXIS EXTENDING FROM 20N55W TO
13N54W...MOVING W AT 10-15 KT.
ABUNDANT MOISTURE IS IN THE
ENVIRONMENT OF THESE WAVE/LOW AS DEPICTED ON SSMI TOTAL
PRECIPITABLE WATER IMAGERY. DESPITE THIS...ONLY SCATTERED
MODERATE CONVECTION PREVAILS BEHIND THE WAVE AXIS FROM 13N-16N
BETWEEN 54W-55W. THE LOW IS EXPECTED TO MOVE W AFFECTING THE
LEEWARD ISLAND...PUERTO RICO...HISPANIOLA AND THE SOUTHEASTERN
BAHAMAS. THE CHANCE FOR FORMATION THROUGH THE NEXT 48 HOURS OF
THIS SYSTEM IS MEDIUM.
0 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#83 Postby ozonepete » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:18 pm

Hammy wrote:I'll give it <10% chance at this point, the Euro tracks it over the main islands, and the only models that develop this now are the ones that develop every thunderstorm into a hurricane. And there is a good amount of dry air just to the northeast that is moving faster SW than the system itself.

Hi Hammy! Are you still sticking to that prediction? Here's a look at the UCAR listing of a number of latest model intensity forecasts from 18Z today. I'd hardly say the majority don't develop it or that those models always develop every thunderstorm into a cat 5, lol.

Also, the dry air to its north is not outrunning it or moving southward at all. It is the dry air in front of the track of a TC that matters if the TC is not moving slowly. In this case there may be some dry air problems in the short term but it will soon be in a much more moist environment on all sides. You should also note that there are no arc clouds coming out of the thunderstorms on the north side. IF those thunderstorms were ingesting dry air at mid-levels they'd be collapsing and shooting out those classic arc clouds. So far that's not happening, but if we see them overnight or tomorrow then I would say the dry air was getting ingested. Until then I wouldn't.

If I lived in those northern islands I'd be watching this really carefully.

0 likes   

TARHEELPROGRAMMER

Re:

#84 Postby TARHEELPROGRAMMER » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:22 pm

Gustywind wrote::darrow:

Mention as a special feature ...

TROPICAL WEATHER DISCUSSION
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
805 PM EDT SAT OCT 11 2014

A TROPICAL WAVE WITH AN EMBEDDED 1009 MB LOW IS AT AROUND 350 NM
E OF THE LESSER ANTILLES WITH AXIS EXTENDING FROM 20N55W TO
13N54W...MOVING W AT 10-15 KT.
ABUNDANT MOISTURE IS IN THE
ENVIRONMENT OF THESE WAVE/LOW AS DEPICTED ON SSMI TOTAL
PRECIPITABLE WATER IMAGERY. DESPITE THIS...ONLY SCATTERED
MODERATE CONVECTION PREVAILS BEHIND THE WAVE AXIS FROM 13N-16N
BETWEEN 54W-55W. THE LOW IS EXPECTED TO MOVE W AFFECTING THE
LEEWARD ISLAND...PUERTO RICO...HISPANIOLA AND THE SOUTHEASTERN
BAHAMAS. THE CHANCE FOR FORMATION THROUGH THE NEXT 48 HOURS OF
THIS SYSTEM IS MEDIUM.

Still looks like in the last few frames it is drifting to the WSW some.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 90L - Discussion

#85 Postby MGC » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:44 pm

Yep, 90L continues to become better organized this evening. Recon might find something tomorrow....time to batten down the hatches in the northern islands.......MGC
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#86 Postby cycloneye » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:50 pm

00z Best Track.

AL, 90, 2014101200, , BEST, 0, 170N, 570W, 30, 1010, LO
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

ouragans
Category 1
Category 1

#87 Postby ouragans » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:59 pm

Yellow Severe weather warning was up in Guadeloupe since last Monday due to strong daily thunderstorms, it has been extended up to Sunday 5 pm, for heavy rains. Most of the rain is on the southern side of this systen, as per latest WV sat pics. We might be pretty well impacted tomorrow morning, and up to Monday, at least
0 likes   
Personal forecast disclaimer
This post is a personal point of view, not an information. Please refer to official statements for life-threatening decisions.

David '79, Frederic '79, Hugo '89, Iris, Luis & Marilyn '95, Georges '98, Lenny '99, Dean '07, Irma '17, Maria '17, Fiona '22, Philippe '23, Tammy '23
16°13'33.3,"6N -61°36'39.5"W

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#88 Postby Gustywind » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:12 pm

ouragans wrote:Yellow Severe weather warning was up in Guadeloupe since last Monday due to strong daily thunderstorms, it has been extended up to Sunday 5 pm, for heavy rains. Most of the rain is on the southern side of this systen, as per latest WV sat pics. We might be pretty well impacted tomorrow morning, and up to Monday, at least

Right ouragans :) , that should be that timing. Guadeloupe and Antigua even Barbuda are certainly at the moment the most concerned islands Juicy tstorms activity should spread on us. Note Ouragans that our local pro never speak about a perturbed area or even a possible TD, they call for an active twave and no more. Let's wait and see...
0 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#89 Postby ozonepete » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:12 pm

ouragans wrote:Yellow Severe weather warning was up in Guadeloupe since last Monday due to strong daily thunderstorms, it has been extended up to Sunday 5 pm, for heavy rains. Most of the rain is on the southern side of this systen, as per latest WV sat pics. We might be pretty well impacted tomorrow morning, and up to Monday, at least

Clearly you will be in the weaker wind area but yes you need to be ready for really heavy rains and possible flooding and mudslides, especially since this TC seems to be generating the heaviest thunderstorms on its south side so far. Keep us posted when and if you can but stay safe!

You too Gusty!
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#90 Postby Gustywind » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:17 pm

ozonepete wrote:

Clearly you will be in the weaker wind area but yes you need to be ready for really heavy rains and possible flooding and mudslides, especially since this TC seems to be generating the heaviest thunderstorms on its south side so far. Keep us posted when and if you can but stay safe!

You too Gusty!

Hi my friend Ozonepete :) Thanks for your advices, i go with your excellent analysis. Yeah, looks like the southern side is clearly heavy in convection! I will keep your informed if anything happens here.
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#91 Postby Gustywind » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:22 pm

Please can someone could put the latest pic related to 90L? Thanks :)
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re:

#92 Postby cycloneye » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:26 pm

Gustywind wrote:Please can someone could put the latest pic related to 90L? Thanks :)

Saved loop that stops at 045z or 8:45 PM AST.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#93 Postby Gustywind » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:29 pm

cycloneye wrote:
Gustywind wrote:Please can someone could put the latest pic related to 90L? Thanks :)

Saved loop that stops at 045z or 8:45 PM AST.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/2m4cd36.jpg

Good catch Luis :)
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#94 Postby cycloneye » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:45 pm

Radar from Martinique shows how the rain is approaching the islands. And it also shows what appears is the LLC.

http://www.meteo.fr/temps/domtom/antill ... C_ant.html
0 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#95 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:04 pm

This sure looks like its getting its act together in a hurry...looks like its right under an UL High
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#96 Postby cycloneye » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:04 pm

A possible TS watch may be issued for PR and VI depending on what the plane finds on Sunday.That is what the latest update of the San Juan NWS says.Read it at the Caribbean thread.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#97 Postby Hammy » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:24 pm

If this manages to strengthen sooner, would that tend to cause it to go a bit more north and miss the bulk of the islands?
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#98 Postby ozonepete » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:24 pm

cycloneye wrote:A possible TS watch may be issued for PR and VI depending on what the plane finds on Sunday.That is what the latest update of the San Juan NWS says.Read it at the Caribbean thread.

I don't know if they'll be able to wait that long, Luis. Look at that ball of convection popping right over (where I'm pretty sure) the center is. They may have to assess it as a TD or TS before the flight gets out there. Of course ADT from TAFB and CIMSS will help make the determination if they have to upgrade it earlier. (Sure looks like a TD to me.)

RGB satellite:

IR satellite:
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#99 Postby Gustywind » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:27 pm

ozonepete wrote:
cycloneye wrote:A possible TS watch may be issued for PR and VI depending on what the plane finds on Sunday.That is what the latest update of the San Juan NWS says.Read it at the Caribbean thread.

I don't know if they'll be able to wait that long, Luis. Look at that ball of convection popping right over (where I'm pretty sure) the center is. They may have to assess it as a TD or TS before the flight gets out there. Of course ADT from TAFB and CIMSS will help make the determination if they have to upgrade it earlier. (Sure looks like a TD to me.)

RGB satellite:

IR satellite:

Excellent analysis, but which coordinates do you see the possible "center" of 90L?
0 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#100 Postby ozonepete » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:28 pm

Hammy wrote:If this manages to strengthen sooner, would that tend to cause it to go a bit more north and miss the bulk of the islands?

Don't think so Hammy. I just checked the steering winds for different levels/strengths and they all call for due west movement regardless of strength until at least Monday night / Tuesday.
0 likes   

Return to “2014”