Moderator: S2k Moderators

HurricaneDREW92
Category 1
Category 1

Re: ATL: INVEST 97L - Discussion

#61 Postby HurricaneDREW92 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:41 pm

Id give it 30/50% at the 8pm TWO.
0 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

-THE ABOVE IS THE OPINION OF DREW ONLY

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#62 Postby USTropics » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:49 pm

Unlike the past few disturbances we've been tracking where there's been a vigorous mid level circulation, but nothing able to really get going at the surface, 97L is the opposite. We have good low level vorticity, but mid-level vorticity is lacking to say the least. This is mostly likely the cause of shear associated with the ULL currently. There is A LOT of air being piled up in the western Caribbean, so if 97L makes it's way to that area with the current structure, things will get interesting.

low-level vorticity:

mid-level vorticity:
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#63 Postby wxman57 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:49 pm

Quite a strong circulation evident on the MIMIC-TPW loop. Climatologically, such a strong wave might have a 30-40% chance of development in the Caribbean in 3-4 days. But I think development chances are higher than that. Probably after it passes west of the DR and is in the vicinity of PR. Could be a storm threatening the Gulf in 5 days.
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#64 Postby ConvergenceZone » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:54 pm

wxman57 wrote:Quite a strong circulation evident on the MIMIC-TPW loop. Climatologically, such a strong wave might have a 30-40% chance of development in the Caribbean in 3-4 days. But I think development chances are higher than that. Probably after it passes west of the DR and is in the vicinity of PR. Could be a storm threatening the Gulf in 5 days.

Good to get your input on this Wxman. Perhaps this is finally the signal that the tropics are coming alive, but until it happens, I'm still in a believe it when I see it mode :), but then that's why you are the meteorologist and not me :wink:
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#65 Postby psyclone » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:02 pm

This has the look of something that wants to give it a go. And it's the time of the year that everything needs to be watched. How anyone, blue tag or otherwise, can confidently declare something isn't going to develop is frankly a bit baffling to me. Stuff changes quick, especially at this time of the year. This is why model runs devoid of canes over a two week timeframe at this time of year are laughable IMO. maybe but maybe not. would they have picked up on the '35 labor day cane or the myriad of other rapid developers in the history books around this time? I doubt it. No matter what happens, at least we have SOMETHING to look at that is slightly interesting. I'll take it.
0 likes   

HurricaneDREW92
Category 1
Category 1

#66 Postby HurricaneDREW92 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:02 pm

wxman57 wrote:Quite a strong circulation evident on the MIMIC-TPW loop. Climatologically, such a strong wave might have a 30-40% chance of development in the Caribbean in 3-4 days. But I think development chances are higher than that. Probably after it passes west of the DR and is in the vicinity of PR. Could be a storm threatening the Gulf in 5 days.

Obviously its very early, any indications this makes landfall in the Carolinas, wxman57?
0 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

-THE ABOVE IS THE OPINION OF DREW ONLY

perk
Category 3
Category 3

#67 Postby perk » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:05 pm

wxman57 as a GOM resident,your last sentence peaked my interest.Would you care to elaborate on why you think this system will enter the GOM.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#68 Postby Alyono » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:15 pm

most certainly has become better organized. While the upper winds remain hostile, I did not properly take into account the LOW LEVEL winds.

Increased convergence has lead to an increased chance of development
0 likes   

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#69 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:19 pm

Metro-France Radar from the Lesser Antilles, if anyone wants to watch this thing as it gets into coverage range:

http://www.meteo.fr/temps/domtom/antilles/pack-public/animation/animMOSAIC2.html
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#70 Postby Gustywind » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:40 pm

Hybridstorm_November2001 wrote:Metro-France Radar from the Lesser Antilles, if anyone wants to watch this thing as it gets into coverage range:

http://www.meteo.fr/temps/domtom/antilles/pack-public/animation/animMOSAIC2.html

By the way, Guadeloupe is since 5PM under an yellow alert for a risk of strong showers and tstorms. Given our Pro Mets and the latest weather forecast: " The evening and the night of Saturday to Sunday should see numerous stormy passages of showers and tstorms who will affect Guadeloupe. They shoud bring rainfall locally strong. This deterioration is the start of an important rainy and stormy episode expected to stall several days".

Yellow alert for Guadeloupe : http://www.meteo.gp/donnees/bulletin/vi ... ilance.php
0 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#71 Postby Ptarmigan » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:50 pm

I think 97L could be our first hurricane of the season, especially when it goes over Caribbean.

Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#72 Postby USTropics » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:58 pm

perk wrote:

wxman57 as a GOM resident,your last sentence peaked my interest.Would you care to elaborate on why you think this system will enter the GOM.

The general wave axis will continue west. For instance, the 12z ECWMF, which doesn't show development, continues the wave axis through the Yucatan peninsula and into the BOC. Some energy behind 97L appears to be the vorticity that lifts north of PR. Even the most aggressive model with 97L, the CMC, shows this moving pretty far south in the Caribbean before lifting it north (and also develops some energy behind this system).

CMC 12z 850mb vort out to 66 hrs:
0 likes   

CYCLONE MIKE
Category 5
Category 5

#73 Postby CYCLONE MIKE » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:15 pm

What is the cmc seeing to cause this to turn north then ne? Let me guess, another monster east coast trough.
Last edited by CYCLONE MIKE on Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

UpTheCreek
Category 1
Category 1

#74 Postby UpTheCreek » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:15 pm

USTropics wrote:Unlike the past few disturbances we've been tracking where there's been a vigorous mid level circulation, but nothing able to really get going at the surface, 97L is the opposite.

When you say "we", what does that mean? Are you a pro-met? I see no disclaimers in your posts, just wondering....thanks!
0 likes   

Riptide
Category 2
Category 2

#75 Postby Riptide » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:17 pm

Deep convection now showing up, mabye the beginning of a big red Central Dense Overcast; center is still displaced west.
0 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#76 Postby USTropics » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:22 pm

UpTheCreek wrote:
USTropics wrote:Unlike the past few disturbances we've been tracking where there's been a vigorous mid level circulation, but nothing able to really get going at the surface, 97L is the opposite.

When you say "we", what does that mean? Are you a pro-met? I see no disclaimers in your posts, just wondering....thanks!

We as in everyone that frequents the storm2k board that has been following the disturbances this year.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#77 Postby NDG » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:22 pm

Increasing convection near the possible LLC seen on visible satellite before sun set.

0 likes   

CYCLONE MIKE
Category 5
Category 5

#78 Postby CYCLONE MIKE » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:23 pm

UpTheCreek wrote:

What he said is not opinion it is a fact. The last view invests had nothing going on at the surface no matter how many people argued against it. That is why they looked good on satellite but nothing was at surface. And not speaking for UStropic but I'm sure he meant "we" as in everyone who frequents this forum.

Sorry US didn't see your response :wink:
0 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#79 Postby USTropics » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:29 pm

This is one of my favorite enhanced loops, and really gives you a good idea of the overall picture. You can see the ULL turning north of PR/DR which is creating that hostile UL environment right now.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/loops/wxloop.cgi?wv_east_enhanced+12
0 likes   

USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#80 Postby USTropics » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:35 pm

CYCLONE MIKE wrote:
UpTheCreek wrote:

What he said is not opinion it is a fact. The last view invests had nothing going on at the surface no matter how many people argued against it. That is why they looked good on satellite but nothing was at surface. And not speaking for UStropic but I'm sure he meant "we" as in everyone who frequents this forum.

Sorry US didn't see your response :wink:

NP and to clarify my meteorology background, I have an AA degree in Meteorology from Daytona State and am currently pursuing my BA at FSU.
0 likes   

Return to “2013”