ATL: HUMBERTO - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#61 Postby gatorcane » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:46 am

cycloneye wrote:I thought that considering this system has the best chance to be the first hurricane of the 2013 season,this 91L thread would be active with comments.

I did too considering we have code red and it could end up being our first hurricane and folks have been complaining about the lack of hurricanes to track (or perhaps it is lack of hurricanes that pose a threat to the U.S. to track?). Yet the thread is quite lackluster.

Anyway, it is not moving WNW as the NHC states in their latest outlook. It's moving at 275 (West) according to the latest RAL update and what I can tell looking at the latest vis loop. I don't see alot of latitude gain at all yet:

Last edited by gatorcane on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
0 likes   

HURAKAN
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#62 Postby HURAKAN » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:48 am

systems in the eastern Atlantic do not garner public interest
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion (70%/90%)

#63 Postby cycloneye » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:54 am

That is true but if anyone is a enthusiastic follower of tropical weather and like to track systems,you look at them in any area of the basin no matter if it doesn't threat the Caribbean nor CONUS.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

caneman

#64 Postby caneman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:09 am

I'm an enthusiastic follower but honestly - no threat to US - no interest to me.
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#65 Postby Hurricaneman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:19 am

This is the kind of system I enjoy watching, its a threat to no one except the Cape Verdes and it could become quite the picturesque hurricane in a few days which is the best kind. I absolutely don't like the ones near land because you know someone is going to suffer so I would like to see more systems like 91L over like an Andrew or Katrina like system
0 likes   

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#66 Postby hurricanes1234 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:27 am

Actually right now, I am viewing this forum every half an hour or so, to see if there are any new posts, and it's surprisingly quiet. This system has a better chance at becoming a hurricane than ALL of the previous waves/storms so far, and it doesn't seem to be changing (for example, constantly being lowered and dropped from the model runs). Even if it just turns out to be a minimal hurricane, it's still going to be 10 mph stronger than our strongest storm thus far, which in my opinion, is a huge jump from the moisture-deprived and torn apart systems we've been having so far in this Cape-Verde area.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#67 Postby Hammy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:37 am

hurricanes1234 wrote:Actually right now, I am viewing this forum every half an hour or so, to see if there are any new posts, and it's surprisingly quiet. This system has a better chance at becoming a hurricane than ALL of the previous waves/storms so far, and it doesn't seem to be changing (for example, constantly being lowered and dropped from the model runs). Even if it just turns out to be a minimal hurricane, it's still going to be 10 mph stronger than our strongest storm thus far, which in my opinion, is a huge jump from the moisture-deprived and torn apart systems we've been having so far in this Cape-Verde area.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Most likely the boards are so quiet because this is probably yet another in the line of weak, short-lived, grossly over-forecast in intensity waves that we've seen. And given that still none of the reliable models are snowing hurricane intensity within the realistic time span, I wouldn't get my hopes up either.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TJRE
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#68 Postby TJRE » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:53 am

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/salmain.php?&prod=wvmid&time=

latest CIMSS slide show

Birthing

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#69 Postby RL3AO » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:55 am

Looks like a developing tropical cyclone.
0 likes   

TropicalAnalystwx13
Category 5
Category 5

#70 Postby TropicalAnalystwx13 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:55 am

An increase in convection should result in the formation of a tropical depression.

0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#71 Postby RL3AO » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:57 am

I think we will see 80/90 or 90/90 at 2pm.
0 likes   

weathernerdguy
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#72 Postby weathernerdguy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:05 am

or maybe a 100/100
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

CYCLONE MIKE
Category 5
Category 5

#73 Postby CYCLONE MIKE » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:13 am

Hammy wrote:
hurricanes1234 wrote:Actually right now, I am viewing this forum every half an hour or so, to see if there are any new posts, and it's surprisingly quiet. This system has a better chance at becoming a hurricane than ALL of the previous waves/storms so far, and it doesn't seem to be changing (for example, constantly being lowered and dropped from the model runs). Even if it just turns out to be a minimal hurricane, it's still going to be 10 mph stronger than our strongest storm thus far, which in my opinion, is a huge jump from the moisture-deprived and torn apart systems we've been having so far in this Cape-Verde area.

Most likely the boards are so quiet because this is probably yet another in the line of weak, short-lived, grossly over-forecast in intensity waves that we've seen. And given that still none of the reliable models are snowing hurricane intensity within the realistic time span, I wouldn't get my hopes up either.

Bingo! Can't speak for everybody but I sure am in will believe it when I see mode. Thursday can't get here soon enough. I want to see some records fall :grrr:
0 likes   

Weatherguy173
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#74 Postby Weatherguy173 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:22 am

weathernerdguy wrote:or maybe a 100/100

they might as well just call it a TD then if it is a 100% & 100%
0 likes   
Nothing I say is intended to be a forecast; it's only food for thought and friendly advice!

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#75 Postby hurricanes1234 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:23 am

Maybe we'll see one of those lyrical TWOS at 2:00 PM that says,“Satellite images indicate that the ... has become better organised, and a tropical depression could be forming.” :)

0 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#76 Postby hurricanes1234 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:26 am

Weatherguy173 wrote:

No, advisories/upgrades come at 11:00 and 5:00 AM and PM, so a 2:00 PM TWO at near 100% would basically be saying that at 5:00 PM, they are most likely going to issue advisories. :)
0 likes   

Hurricane Alexis
Category 2
Category 2

#77 Postby Hurricane Alexis » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:31 am

Hammy wrote:

Can't say that's not gonna happen, but chantal, erin, and dorian were all forecast to stay weak as they traversed through the atlantic.
Last edited by Hurricane Alexis on Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:

Weatherguy173
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Re:

#78 Postby Weatherguy173 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:33 am

hurricanes1234 wrote:
Weatherguy173 wrote:

No, advisories/upgrades come at 11:00 and 5:00 AM and PM, so a 2:00 PM TWO at near 100% would basically be saying that at 5:00 PM, they are most likely going to issue advisories. :)

gotcha, and i know adv. are at 6 hr intervals at those hrs anyway.
0 likes   
Nothing I say is intended to be a forecast; it's only food for thought and friendly advice!

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#79 Postby cycloneye » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:37 am

Dr Jeff Masters has a discussion on his blog about 91L.

It's a rare tropical cyclone-free September 8th on Earth, without a tropical depression, tropical storm, hurricane, or typhoon in the Atlantic, Pacific, or Indian Oceans. Considering that the first two weeks of September are the peak of the tropical cyclone season in the Atlantic, Eastern Pacific, and Northwest Pacific, today's lack of activity is quite unusual. It looks like the Atlantic will be ocean basin to break the tropical cyclone-free spell, as a strong tropical wave (Invest 91L) emerged from the coast of Africa on Saturday, and is now moving west-northwest at 10 mph towards the Cape Verde Islands. Satellite loops show that 91L is well-organized with plenty of spin and a growing amount of heavy thunderstorms. All of the models develop this wave into a tropical depression just west of the Cape Verde Islands by Wednesday, and 91L has the potential to intensify into a hurricane by late in the week. The storm is expected to track to the northwest into a region of ocean where the Azores Islands would likely be the only land area at risk from a strike. In their 8 am EDT Sunday Tropical Weather Outlook, NHC put the 2-day odds of development at 70%, and the 5-day odds at 90%

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMa ... rynum=2516
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#80 Postby cycloneye » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:57 am

NNE winds in CV islands suggest a TD may be forming. We will know more at 2 PM TWO.

0 likes   

Return to “2013”