ATL: HUMBERTO - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#621 Postby CrazyC83 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:39 am

Looks like one heck of an extratropical transition in store...could be a very deep, intense storm by then.
0 likes   

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#622 Postby galaxy401 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:42 am

This is the third storm to redevelop this season. Adds to the weirdness of this season.
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

Iune
Category 1
Category 1

Re: ATL: HUMBERTO - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#623 Postby Iune » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:07 pm

Similar to this year, 2001 had four storms redevelop; Chantal, Dean, Erin, and Felix.
0 likes   
Floyd 1999 · Irene 2011 · Sandy 2012

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#624 Postby cycloneye » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:22 pm

18z Best Track up to 40kts.

AL, 09, 2013091618, , BEST, 0, 272N, 434W, 40, 1003, TS
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#625 Postby abajan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:45 pm

Are the Azores likely to be affected by this in any way?
0 likes   

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#626 Postby galaxy401 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:45 pm

Convection getting blown off again. Center seems to be moving south now.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/09L/imagery/vis_lalo-animated.gif
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#627 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:49 pm

galaxy401 wrote:Convection getting blown off again. Center seems to be moving south now.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/09L/imagery/vis_lalo-animated.gif

Looks more like it was ejected south...like it was shot out of a convective gun :wink:
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#628 Postby Hammy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:51 pm

Looks like another under-performer--just two days ago models had this eventually becoming a Cat 3, and now its being pummeled with shear that is again increasing contrary to what the models show. Very likely that Humberto part II will remain a sheared minimal to moderate tropical storm from what I'm seeing.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#629 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:53 pm

Hammy wrote:Looks like another under-performer--just two days ago models had this eventually becoming a Cat 3, and now its being pummeled with shear that is again increasing contrary to what the models show. Very likely that Humberto part II will remain a sheared minimal to moderate tropical storm from what I'm seeing.

Is it just me, or have the models been particularly bad this year?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#630 Postby Hammy » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:02 pm

ScottNAtlanta wrote:
Hammy wrote:Looks like another under-performer--just two days ago models had this eventually becoming a Cat 3, and now its being pummeled with shear that is again increasing contrary to what the models show. Very likely that Humberto part II will remain a sheared minimal to moderate tropical storm from what I'm seeing.

Is it just me, or have the models been particularly bad this year?

They've been terrible this year. I remember last year the GFS was spot-on in predicting Beryl as well as with Debby's track, and the Euro did quite well on several other storms. It seems that whatever upgrade the models were given this year have utterly destroyed whatever reliability that most of the models used to have, and now they seem to overreact and take weaker storms (or non-existent storms) to major hurricane or simply not develop things that end up developing.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#631 Postby tolakram » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:45 pm

Saved loop.

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Riptide
Category 2
Category 2

#632 Postby Riptide » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:57 pm

Damn, what happened to the circulation; looks like it's rotating around a broader vortex.
0 likes   

Epsilon_Fan
Category 1
Category 1

#633 Postby Epsilon_Fan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:05 pm

man, it looks like the center of low level circulation just got chucked south of the "smokestack" of convection
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#634 Postby RL3AO » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Thats one of the cooler sheared TC loops I've ever seen.
0 likes   

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#635 Postby hurricanes1234 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:31 pm

I now have a slight (just a slight) feeling this shear will increase, like Pewa earlier this year. The models were forecasting all sorts of strange intensities for Pewa, and one even went up to nearly Category 5 status. Time and time again, the official forecasts had to be lowered, because the TUTT hampering it refused to abate. Eventually, the storm perished in the face of strong shear. What was Pewa's peak strength? 75 mph.

In no way am I insulting or degrading the models, in fact, they are extremely useful and a necessity for the official forecasts, but I am once again outlining the pattern of the wind shear in this erratic season. Please do NOT mistake my post for wishcasting.

Remember, I still think Humberto could strengthen, and potentially past storm force, but as Hammy rightfully pointed out, we should not be too surprised if only modest deepening takes place, assuming wind shear does not abate.

Personal Forecast Disclaimer: The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

#636 Postby supercane4867 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:05 pm

Future intensification phase rely mostly on interaction with the trough
As long as Humberto can maintain some structure it will have the opportunity to become a non-tropical look hurricane
0 likes   

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#637 Postby hurricanes1234 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:11 pm

supercane4867 wrote:Future intensification phase rely mostly on interaction with the trough
As long as Humberto can maintain some structure it will have the opportunity to become a non-tropical look hurricane

Can there be non-tropical hurricanes? Will the NHC still issue advisories on it if it becomes non-tropical?
0 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

HenkL
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#638 Postby HenkL » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:48 pm

hurricanes1234 wrote:Can there be non-tropical hurricanes? Will the NHC still issue advisories on it if it becomes non-tropical?

Extratropical storms with hurricane force winds are not unusual on higher latitudes, but they will not be named as a hurricane and the NHC will not issue advisories.
0 likes   

TropicalAnalystwx13
Category 5
Category 5

#639 Postby TropicalAnalystwx13 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:36 pm

Riptide wrote:Damn, what happened to the circulation; looks like it's rotating around a broader vortex.

"SEVERAL SMALLER-SCALE VORTICES HAVE BEEN ROTATING AROUND THE MEAN
CIRCULATION CENTER OF HUMBERTO TODAY...MAKING AN ESTIMATE OF THE
INITIAL MOTION MORE DIFFICULT THAN NORMAL."

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2013/al09/al092013.discus.026.shtml?
0 likes   

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#640 Postby hurricanes1234 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:15 pm

What do you all think about Humberto? Do you all think it has much more time as a tropical cyclone?

0 likes   

Return to “2013”