Moderator: S2k Moderators

jeff
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Re:

#81 Postby jeff » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:24 pm

Alyono wrote:
Kalrany wrote:
Alyono wrote:Hermine is an inappropriate analog as it was a fast mover. This will be a slow mover

Does that increase the likelyhood of a more northbound track?

Not sure... but I'm thinking more of a Frances-like flood event

I could see a Hermine wound system only bigger and much slower. Impacts will be long lasting and far reaching across much of the W/NW Gulf. ET surge is pushing 2ft on the upper coast by Friday using GFS wind grids with assumption of a TD in the far southern Gulf. Long fetch is going to bring a lot of water toward the TX coast and slow movement is going to allow tidal piling over many high tide cycles along with long period swells producing wave run-up. Think the tides will end up higher on the upper coast than ET surge is showing probably closer to 3-4 ft over the weekend. 4.0 ft is when we start to get into problems on the barrier Islands and on the west sides of both GLS and Matagorda Bays. If the GFS or the FIM runs come close to verifying surge is going to be a problem on the upper coast...could easily see Frances levels.

Rainfall is another topic...18Z GFS is impressive with totals up to and over 10 inches across much of coastal, central into N TX. Regardless of the drought this magnitude rainfall will cause serious flooding

Then again it could end up well south into MX, but I am not biting just yet that this goes into MX like all the rest so far this season.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: INVEST 93L - Discussion - 20% - 70%

#82 Postby cycloneye » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:25 pm

No change in the % at 8 PM TWO:

A TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE OVER THE NORTHWESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA IS
PRODUCING A LARGE AREA OF DISORGANIZED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.
THE TROUGH IS EXPECTED TO MOVE SLOWLY WEST-NORTHWESTWARD AT 5 TO 10
MPH...AND BEGIN MOVING ACROSS THE YUCATAN PENINSULA TONIGHT...AND
ENTER THE BAY OF CAMPECHE ON THURSDAY. SIGNIFICANT DEVELOPMENT IS
NOT EXPECTED WHILE THE TROUGH MOVES OVER LAND...AND THIS SYSTEM HAS
A LOW CHANCE...20 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING
THE NEXT 48 HOURS. UPPER-LEVEL WINDS SHOULD BE CONDUCIVE FOR THE
FORMATION OF A TROPICAL DEPRESSION OVER THE SOUTHWESTERN GULF OF
MEXICO LATER IN THE WEEK...AND THIS SYSTEM HAS A HIGH CHANCE...70
PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 5 DAYS.
LOCALLY HEAVY RAINS AND GUSTY WINDS ARE POSSIBLE OVER BELIZE...
GUATEMALA...AND THE YUCATAN PENINSULA OF MEXICO DURING THE NEXT DAY
OR TWO.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

TropicalAnalystwx13
Category 5
Category 5

#83 Postby TropicalAnalystwx13 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:26 pm

Kalrany wrote:
Alyono wrote:Hermine is an inappropriate analog as it was a fast mover. This will be a slow mover

Does that increase the likelyhood of a more northbound track?

Yes. The longer this system meanders, the more the ridge positioned over the South will break down and allow for a weakness to develop to pull a storm north.
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#84 Postby ROCK » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:26 pm

Ptarmigan wrote:
Alyono wrote:

I am thinking this storm could be like Frances as well as forecast models show a large storm. Hermine of 2010 was more of an average sized tropical storm.

1998 Frances was huge extending all the way to LA....came in around CC....seems like a good track. I do think it has potential to make cane status...
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#85 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:30 pm

:uarrow: What about Hurricane Alex from 2010? Strength-wise no, but size-wise seems like a good analog, and track could be similar as well.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

jeff
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#86 Postby jeff » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:33 pm

ROCK wrote:
Ptarmigan wrote:
Alyono wrote:

I am thinking this storm could be like Frances as well as forecast models show a large storm. Hermine of 2010 was more of an average sized tropical storm.

1998 Frances was huge extending all the way to LA....came in around CC....seems like a good track. I do think it has potential to make cane status...

Frances (98) was moving WNW at landfall out of the central/NW Gulf...she did not come up from the Bay of Campeche. Current GFS track is closest to Hermine only slower and larger. FIM tracks would be a rare NW to NNW to N to NNE track kind of rounding the entire TX coast. That has happened before, but not in the recent past decades.
0 likes   

jeff
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#87 Postby jeff » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:35 pm

TheStormExpert wrote::uarrow: What about Hurricane Alex from 2010? Strength-wise no, but size-wise seems like a good analog, and track could be similar as well.

Not sure I see this getting as strong as Alex. Could easily see a minimal hurricane and a large area of TS/gale force winds. Could be a classic case of a large weak hurricane producing some decent storm surge.
0 likes   

KatDaddy
Category 5
Category 5

#88 Postby KatDaddy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:36 pm

Invest 93L looking better organized and a rather large system that will become TS Ingrid in the GOM this weekend. Models are showing shift further N will a possible landfall between Tampico, MX and Brownsville, TX. A few models are further N toward the Corpus Christi area. Still many days out and not even in the GOM yet however very well needed tropical rains may become reality for a large part of TX early next week. Interesting days ahead.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#89 Postby ronjon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:04 pm

Well katdaddy, rock, and other texas posters, I hope you guys get some decent rains outta future Ingrid. I know it's been a long hot summer with that heat ridge near you. Thinking cat 1 or 2 storm coming in near corpus now. But being 5-6 days out, it'll change no doubt.
0 likes   

Annie Oakley
Category 5
Category 5

#90 Postby Annie Oakley » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:30 pm

Jeff-what is "ET' surge? sorry if that is a stupid question ha ha

Evening Tide lol?

Thanks
0 likes   

Houstonia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Sharpstown, Houston, Harris County, Southeast Texas.

#91 Postby Houstonia » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:40 pm

Any idea what the tides will be like in Galveston this weekend? I've got family visiting - they are driving back north on Monday. We plan to go to Galveston on Sunday - it would be nice to take them on the ferry and have it be a bit of a thrill ride for them. :)
0 likes   

Javlin
Category 5
Category 5

#92 Postby Javlin » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:42 pm

Hey I hope we all get some rain but not buying serious development with three (big)ULL's floating around in the Atlantic/Carib ATTM.These are spawning like cat litters!

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/tatl/flash-wv.html
0 likes   

Nikki
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Santa Fe, TX (yes I typed that right TEXAS not New Mexico, I am about 20 miles from Galveston, TX)

#93 Postby Nikki » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:43 pm

Houstonia,

I read somewhere between 7 and 9 feet by Sun night...don't know how accurate that is.
0 likes   
My name is Nicole and this is what I go by in Storm2k chat! Come chat with us! We have fun in there too!!

A teacher's purpose is not to create students in her own image, but to develop students who can create their own image. ~Author Unknown

Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#94 Postby ROCK » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:50 pm

Javlin wrote:Hey I hope we all get some rain but not buying serious development with three (big)ULL's floating around in the Atlantic/Carib ATTM.These are spawning like cat litters!

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/tatl/flash-wv.html

ULL's can also help vent and create outflow channels.....

here is another analog storm "Audrey"....if 93L is going to make a run at a hurricane in 2013 conditions why not try to be all it can be!!! :lol:
0 likes   

HurriGuy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#95 Postby HurriGuy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:23 pm

Looks like it developing before reaching the Yucatan is quickly diminishing. Anyone know when this is scheduled to emerge back over open water once done with land?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#96 Postby cycloneye » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:24 pm

00z Best Track.

AL, 93, 2013091100, , BEST, 0, 180N, 868W, 20, 1008, DB
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Annie Oakley
Category 5
Category 5

#97 Postby Annie Oakley » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:26 pm

cyclone comin' thru! As usual.........nice
0 likes   

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

ATL: INVEST 93L - Models

#98 Postby stormlover2013 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:29 pm

@TropicalTidbits: @JimCantore Watch the western US/Canada ridge flip to trough. Texas ridge dies and shifts eastward. 6-10 z500 anomaly http://t.co/f36AJKzhsH

@TropicalTidbits: @JimCantore If there is a TC in position to come north, yes. 93L may do just that if it doesn't form too quickly.

@TropicalTidbits: @JimCantore -PDO w/ warm NPAC forces trough into the continent as wavelengths get longer in the Fall. This is forcing the TX ridge out.
0 likes   

Nikki
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Santa Fe, TX (yes I typed that right TEXAS not New Mexico, I am about 20 miles from Galveston, TX)

Re: ATL: INVEST 93L - Models

#99 Postby Nikki » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:30 pm

stormlover2013 wrote:@TropicalTidbits: @JimCantore Watch the western US/Canada ridge flip to trough. Texas ridge dies and shifts eastward. 6-10 z500 anomaly http://t.co/f36AJKzhsH

@TropicalTidbits: @JimCantore If there is a TC in position to come north, yes. 93L may do just that if it doesn't form too quickly.

@TropicalTidbits: @JimCantore -PDO w/ warm NPAC forces trough into the continent as wavelengths get longer in the Fall. This is forcing the TX ridge out.

Thank you! I appreciate it!
0 likes   
My name is Nicole and this is what I go by in Storm2k chat! Come chat with us! We have fun in there too!!

A teacher's purpose is not to create students in her own image, but to develop students who can create their own image. ~Author Unknown

Alicia, Allison, Rita, Ike

jeff
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#100 Postby jeff » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Annie Oakley wrote:Jeff-what is "ET' surge? sorry if that is a stupid question ha ha

Evening Tide lol?

Thanks

Et surge = extra-tropical storm surge modeling which is run off the GFS forecast model. It is mainly used for large extra-tropical systems in the winter time such as Nor'easter and did very well with Sand last year and Ike in 2008. For large wind field tropical systems like Ike and Sandy the effect from storm surge can behave very much like a large mid latitude system and ET surge can pick up on this if what the GFS is feeding it is correct. Wont have any SLOSH runs until we are within about 48 hours of landfall.

Tidal piling and wave run-up is already in place on the TX coast due to the long ESE to E fetch over the central/N Gulf for the past few days. This will gradually build swell action which piles more water on the beaches. Backing surface winds (NE or ENE) on the N side of any southern Gulf tropical system results in the transport of sea water toward the coast (Ekman Transport) and helps trap the high tides on the coast. Even if the system stays well south both of these processes are going to increase the tides on the TX coast...upper coast would be most favored for increased tides with ENE winds while longer period swells are aimed at the lower TX coast. With tides high those high energy swells will deliver their energy into the base of the dunes and likely result in some erosion at high tide.
0 likes   

Return to “2013”