ATL: KAREN - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

TropicalAnalystwx13
Category 5
Category 5

#241 Postby TropicalAnalystwx13 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:55 pm

0z GFS takes Karen into the Florida Panhandle as a 985mb hurricane.
0 likes   

AtlanticWind
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: KAREN - Models

#242 Postby AtlanticWind » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:58 pm

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis ... ics_31.png

GFS takes Karen back into atlantic on this run
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#243 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:02 pm

:uarrow: I saw that myself just a short time ago TA13. Also, I do believe that the slowdown is in progress with Karen and going into Friday this system will be literally crawling for about 18 -24 hours until the trough catches the cyclone on Saturday and pulls it sharply northeastward.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

N2FSU
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#244 Postby N2FSU » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:24 am

GFS just will NOT give up on the idea of approaching Louisiana, slowing to a crawl, then turning almost due east.

Here is the 06z; 12hr:

0 likes   

N2FSU
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#245 Postby N2FSU » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:25 am

06z GFS; 48hr

0 likes   

N2FSU
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#246 Postby N2FSU » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:26 am

06z GFS; 75hr

0 likes   

N2FSU
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#247 Postby N2FSU » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:30 am

00z Euro: 24hr

0 likes   

N2FSU
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#248 Postby N2FSU » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:32 am

00z Euro; 48hr; on the central Louisiana coast

0 likes   

N2FSU
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#249 Postby N2FSU » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:33 am

00z Euro; 72hr; western FL Panhandle

0 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#250 Postby ronjon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:42 am

The GFS is one of the best models in the 48-72 hour time frame. Let's see if the next round of global models continue the trend of an extreme right turn before reaching the coast. I think we'll see a significant forecast track shift east later today with possible TS warnings through the big bend of FL. The NHC discussion also indicated significant strengthening forecast by ECM, GFS, GFDL, and HWRF. From the NHC 5 am disc:

THE INTENSITY FORECAST IS RATHER PROBLEMATIC. FIRST...KAREN IS
LIKELY TO INTERACT WITH A SMALL UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH DURING THE NEXT
24 HOURS...WHICH MIGHT PROVIDE SOME SUPPORT FOR RENEWED CONVECTION.
SECOND...THE SHEAR MAY DIMINISH IN THE WAKE OF THE TROUGH...WHICH
COULD ALLOW FOR INTENSIFICATION...ESPECIALLY IF KAREN TURNS
NORTHEASTWARD WHILE STILL OVER WATER. THE ECMWF SHOWS ABOUT 10 MB
OF DEEPENING AFTER RECURVATURE...AND THE GFS...HWRF...AND GFDL
MODELS SHOW MORE.
0 likes   

BobHarlem
Category 5
Category 5

#251 Postby BobHarlem » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:57 am

These GFS runs remind me more and more of what happeneed with Debby last year, where it basically split and reformed under convection and went east, counter to the official forecast.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#252 Postby tolakram » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:37 am

BobHarlem wrote:These GFS runs remind me more and more of what happeneed with Debby last year, where it basically split and reformed under convection and went east, counter to the official forecast.

I think that's a pretty good analysis, and supported by the euro as well with the loss of the low, and then rapid reformation or east movement. Hard to tell what happens between frames. :) Regardless I feel the need to remind people that the Euro is heading toward the original GFS landfall location, and the GFS is running away to the east still.

72 hours from latest runs

and then there's the Canadian.

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#253 Postby ROCK » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:15 am

the EURO has not wavered from its solution for many runs now..only in intensity...neither has the CMC,NAVGEM or NAM.....the GFS still is out there on a island with hooking this due east in FL Big bend.....I dont think I ever saw the GFS into central LA in the past 4 days....regardless the NHC track looks good now... the question is will she intensify as soon as she makes that right turn.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#254 Postby tolakram » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:35 am

ROCK wrote:the EURO has not wavered from its solution for many runs now..only in intensity...neither has the CMC,NAVGEM or NAM.....the GFS still is out there on a island with hooking this due east in FL Big bend.....I dont think I ever saw the GFS into central LA in the past 4 days....regardless the NHC track looks good now... the question is will she intensify as soon as she makes that right turn.

Not correct, and I'm not sure why you would say such a thing.

Here is the latest Euro track. See the bend? The euro started out with the bend after landfall and has been progressively moving it offshore over the last few days. The problem is the Euro refused to develop the system until it was already a storm, which is typical for the Euro. Now that it is developed I think it has the details better, but not the landfall location. If it misses LA then the landfall location will be near where the GFS said it would be a few days ago. This does not make the GFS correct, it simply shows the importance of using BOTH models when trying to forecast storms. IMO :)

Vorticity from the last few runs.

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#255 Postby gatorcane » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:00 am

Why do I get the feeling the sharp ENE hook shown by the GFS days before other models picked up on that will verify... :wink:

The key thing is to use a blend of the models though especially a blend of the Euro and GFS and not just pick one model and use that for a forecast, as tolakram points out.

Now that the Euro is showing the hook, the GFS scenario is much more believable.
0 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#256 Postby ROCK » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:17 am

No I am pretty sure I am correct since i have see every model run for every model the last 5 days... :D ... the EURO always had this bending to the ENE but not after landfall in LA...thats my point and I believe WXMN57 concurs with the EURO also.. :lol: ...the GFS never showed anything close to LA landfall until last night. It was always FL panhandle then up and out.

doesnt really matter anymore though since she is still moving NW and LA landfall looks likely now...before the turn...
0 likes   

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#257 Postby ronjon » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:26 am

gatorcane wrote:Why do I get the feeling the sharp ENE hook shown by the GFS days before other models picked up on that will verify... :wink:

The key thing is to use a blend of the models though especially a blend of the Euro and GFS and not just pick one model and use that for a forecast, as tolakram points out.

Now that the Euro is showing the hook, the GFS scenario is much more believable.

Yeah GC, if the next round of globals at 12Z follow GFS, then significant track (and perhaps intensity) adjustments to the NHC forecast. Did you see that both GFDL and HWRF dropped pressures down to 970 mb in their 00z runs? While overdone, the ECM and GFS also deepened the storm after 24 hrs.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#258 Postby tolakram » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:27 am

ROCK wrote:No I am pretty sure I am correct since i have see every model run for every model the last 5 days... :D ... the EURO always had this bending to the ENE but not after landfall in LA...thats my point and I believe WXMN57 concurs with the EURO also.. :lol: ...the GFS never showed anything close to LA landfall until last night. It was always FL panhandle then up and out.

doesnt really matter anymore though since she is still moving NW and LA landfall looks likely now...before the turn...

Rock,

That is a false statement (unless it's a typo, missing until?), as I have already shown with the graphics AND links above. Where are you getting this information?

Anyway yes, if you are a forecaster in LA the GFS has had you in the clear all along while the Euro would have warned you a few days out. The same can be said for the GFS and Florida. So it depends on where you are. The Euro had Florida in the clear until a couple of days ago. Why is one more important than the other?
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#259 Postby tolakram » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:34 am

... and Rock does make a good point, the GFS is continuing to show LA in the clear.

from http://ruc.noaa.gov/hfip/tcgen/
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#260 Postby stormlover2013 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:44 am

listen I don't like to try and bring up models and etc, one model is good and the other one is great!!! they both have flaws but also Barry Bonds was great!!!! and Jeff Bagwell was good big difference there!!!! EURO is great and GFS is good. Out of of my meteorologist buddies they all use the EURO over the GFS.
0 likes   

Return to “2013”