WPAC: HAIYAN - Post-Tropical

Moderator: S2k Moderators

madness
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

Re: WPAC: HAIYAN - Typhoon

#1281 Postby madness » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:34 am

There is going to be damage all along the Vietnam coastline from Da Nang right through to Hai Phong
Plus the impact it will have on Hainan Island and western Guangxi province, China

Major flooding is possible in Northern Vietnam, with torrential rain probably occurring late Monday.
0 likes   

stormkite
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#1282 Postby stormkite » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:39 am

Alyono wrote:next stop... densely populated and surge prone Hanoi

TYPHOON HAIYAN ANALYSED POSITION : 12.4N 116.6E

VERIFYING TIME POSITION STRENGTH TENDENCY

-------------- -------- -------- --------

00UTC 09.11.2013 12.4N 116.6E INTENSE

12UTC 09.11.2013 14.4N 113.4E INTENSE WEAKENING SLIGHTLY

00UTC 10.11.2013 16.4N 109.8E INTENSE INTENSIFYING SLIGHTLY

12UTC 10.11.2013 18.3N 107.4E INTENSE INTENSIFYING SLIGHTLY

00UTC 11.11.2013 19.6N 106.5E INTENSE INTENSIFYING SLIGHTLY

Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products
Last edited by stormkite on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1283 Postby cycloneye » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:39 am

Incredible footage here by James.See it below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke6ureLcpkk#t=30
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

Re: Re:

#1284 Postby somethingfunny » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:41 am

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:
somethingfunny wrote:
xtyphooncyclonex wrote:I know 2 of my relatives are already missing...

The Hotel Alejandro in southern Tacloban is where the storm chasers I quoted just above were staying. It was largely destroyed but many did survive there so there is hope. The military is in the area with relief supplies now. It will take a long time to get communications back however. How are you keeping your iPhone charged? Be cautious with how you use your battery life.

It was borrowed. Now, we charged it. I will tell them [the owners as they know me] about the damage.

Anyways, this was like... a NIGHTMARE! 100 kilometers away, still experienced typhoon-force winds of probably 150 kph. Terrible... Hope for us to recover too.

Josh Morgerman just updated us, everybody in that hotel is believed to have survived.

Now that we have Internet, James Reynolds was able to post some GoPro shots from our experience at the hotel (his main camera died during the storm and he's still staying to salvage the footage off of it). These graphic shots capture not just the violent winds but also the desperate chaos that occurred within the hotel when the storm surge swept in. We're happy to report no one in our hotel died.

Also, I'm very happy to report that Jim Edds (@ExtremeStorms) is alive.

@twc_hurricane: Just spoke with @ExtremeStorms(Jim Edds) in Tacloban. "They need to park a ship off the coast. Relief is needed here. Now."
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1285 Postby Ntxw » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:55 am

Per CNN: Philippines Red Cross says initial estimates indicate up to 1200 people killed
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1286 Postby Alyono » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:04 am

if we're getting 1200 already without reaching the hard hit areas... we are looking at something truly horrific
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1287 Postby Alyono » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:27 am

http://www.rappler.com/nation/43318-eas ... on-yolanda

200-300 dead in a city north of Guiuan. This city missed the eyewall
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#1288 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:44 am

ohno wrote:Just a curious question. Is it possible for a super typhoon like this hitting Manila?

Manila is on the opposite coast so it would have to come in on the recurve from the South China Sea. An intense typhoon is certainly possible there, but not sure about a super typhoon - at least not easily. A recurving storm is much more prone to surge there though.

If Haiyan was farther north and sent the eyewall into Manila, they would have likely had Cat 3 conditions. That is still extremely devastating, but not to this degree. These are Joplin-like...
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#1289 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:44 am

Alyono wrote:http://www.rappler.com/nation/43318-eastern-samar-casualty-typhoon-yolanda

200-300 dead in a city north of Guiuan. This city missed the eyewall

The final death toll may be over 10,000 at this rate. We haven't even had words from some of these towns that took the worst of it.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1290 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:46 am

stormkite wrote:
Alyono wrote:next stop... densely populated and surge prone Hanoi

TYPHOON HAIYAN ANALYSED POSITION : 12.4N 116.6E

VERIFYING TIME POSITION STRENGTH TENDENCY

-------------- -------- -------- --------

00UTC 09.11.2013 12.4N 116.6E INTENSE

12UTC 09.11.2013 14.4N 113.4E INTENSE WEAKENING SLIGHTLY

00UTC 10.11.2013 16.4N 109.8E INTENSE INTENSIFYING SLIGHTLY

12UTC 10.11.2013 18.3N 107.4E INTENSE INTENSIFYING SLIGHTLY

00UTC 11.11.2013 19.6N 106.5E INTENSE INTENSIFYING SLIGHTLY

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

Timing is everything. If it makes landfall before the recurve, the surge disaster might be minimized. But if it stays over water and makes landfall just south of Hanoi, we may see another epic disaster.
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#1291 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:56 am

How is stormstrike now? Is he fine? I guess power there isn't restored.
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

ohno
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1292 Postby ohno » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:02 am

CrazyC83 wrote:
ohno wrote:Just a curious question. Is it possible for a super typhoon like this hitting Manila?

Manila is on the opposite coast so it would have to come in on the recurve from the South China Sea. An intense typhoon is certainly possible there, but not sure about a super typhoon - at least not easily. A recurving storm is much more prone to surge there though.

If Haiyan was farther north and sent the eyewall into Manila, they would have likely had Cat 3 conditions. That is still extremely devastating, but not to this degree. These are Joplin-like...

Let's say if Haiyan developed into a storm between 10-12 North and 150-155 East and moved W-NW, will is still develop as super typhoon?
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1293 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:05 am

ohno wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:

Let's say if Haiyan developed into a storm between 10-12 North and 150-155 East and moved W-NW, will is still develop as super typhoon?

That is very possible. Worst case would be a landfall near Mauban Island for wind and a Haiyan-like storm would still bring Cat 3-4 conditions (maybe Cat 5 locally) to Manila. A surge disaster in Manlia Bay would be most likely in a recurving storm though.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#1294 Postby Ntxw » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:11 am

^ Manila and Tampa are similar in that a recurving storm would likely be the reason. Of course both need perfect conditions at the right times in the right pattern for a STY which is more difficult to come by. Waters on either side of the Philippines are warm enough most of the year just need right atmospheric conditions for catastrophe.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

#1295 Postby dexterlabio » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:17 am

OT: there was a moderate storm surge in Manila Bay during Typhoon Nesat in2011.....Nesat made landfall in Aurora province....but the storm surge in Leyte during Haiyan was much more devastating and much more inland.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#1296 Postby euro6208 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:46 am

another catastrophe in the making ...

A major surge event could be on tap for Hanoi even with a Cat 1 storm winds. The geometry of that bay would amplify any effect and the Hanoi area is on a low-lying delta. What we're seeing might be only the tip of the iceberg...
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

ohno
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1297 Postby ohno » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:54 am

CrazyC83 wrote:
ohno wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:Manila is on the opposite coast so it would have to come in on the recurve from the South China Sea. An intense typhoon is certainly possible there, but not sure about a super typhoon - at least not easily. A recurving storm is much more prone to surge there though.

That is very possible. Worst case would be a landfall near Mauban Island for wind and a Haiyan-like storm would still bring Cat 3-4 conditions (maybe Cat 5 locally) to Manila. A surge disaster in Manlia Bay would be most likely in a recurving storm though.

Thanks. I was asking because I think we here in the PHL really depends on NCR (National Capital Region aka Metro Manila) in just about everything. Can't really imagine the disaster if a storm like Haiyan hits Manila. At least there will be no surge coming from the east, unless it is possible in lake like Laguna de Bay.

But there is a mountain range called Sierra Madre, averaging 1800 meter in height, located along the eastcoast of luzon. Will it help weaken a cat5 storm?
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Re:

#1298 Postby vbhoutex » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:00 am

PaulR wrote:I just stumbled across this, online - not sure of its veracity, but it seems to fit. Really bad...

James Reynolds @typhoonfury
I've not from Jim Edds @extremestorms I hope he's OK. Surge swamped ground floor of most buildings downtown, higher right on sea
7 minutes ago

Mark, Josh & I are safe, evacced to Cebu on air force C130. Tacloban devastated, death & destruction everywhere #YolandaPH #Haiyan
15 minutes ago

This backs that up. https://www.facebook.com/james.reynolds.92754397?fref=ts I am very concerned about Jim Edds since he was in the Eastern part of Tacloban City. Hopefully we will hear from him soon.
Edited at 9:45am CST-We now know that Jim is ok. He made a plea for supplies for the area in a brief satellite phone conversation with TWC.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#1299 Postby ronjon » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:05 am

I'm not sure if this video was posted earlier, but it's so heartbreaking. Horrible glimpse of storm surge impact near the coast that's total destruction. My heart goes out to the people whose lives have been turned upside down.

http://rt.com/news/typhoon-cyclone-dead-philippines-463/
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#1300 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:06 am

vbhoutex wrote:
PaulR wrote:I just stumbled across this, online - not sure of its veracity, but it seems to fit. Really bad...

I've not from Jim Edds @extremestorms I hope he's OK. Surge swamped ground floor of most buildings downtown, higher right on sea
7 minutes ago

Mark, Josh & I are safe, evacced to Cebu on air force C130. Tacloban devastated, death & destruction everywhere #YolandaPH #Haiyan
15 minutes ago

This backs that up. https://www.facebook.com/james.reynolds.92754397?fref=ts I am very concerned about Jim Edds since he was in the Eastern part of Tacloban City. Hopefully we will hear from him soon.

At least they're safe. In Cebu City [where I live], we had damage but only mild-moderate. Although, winds were strong enough to make roofs fly and trees fall and stumble unto the ground. I heard a scary sound -like a lady singing and the windows were shaking. No one was reported dead YET in our city.

According to the NDRRMC, most of those affected come from Cebu, with over 2.5 million people ALONE and over 1 million come from an urban area.

People affected ''in their report'' in Tacloban was 1,495 only. Maybe because it can't be reached properly!

ANYWAYS

Damage in our city - Cebu credits to Sun.Star:

Flooded. Mahiga Creek overflows.

Storm Surge over SRP - Near south Cebu:

Northern Cebu-which was directly hit, had severe damage and almost everything there was wiped out!

Daanbantayan

Bogo

Destructive and heart breaking!
Last edited by xtyphooncyclonex on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

Return to “2013”