WPAC: HAIYAN - Post-Tropical

Moderator: S2k Moderators

RainbowAppleJackDash

#1681 Postby RainbowAppleJackDash » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:53 pm

Haiyan was one truly devastating storm. I couldn't actually BELIEVE this was true!
I gave money to charity, and our school did a sponsored bike ride for the typhoon relief.
Anyway, were any one of you in the storm? How did it feel? Let's pray everyone there is still going strong after more than one month since the storm.
0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

Re: WPAC: HAIYAN - Post-Tropical

#1682 Postby euro6208 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:04 am

:lol: i thought i saw something... :lol:
Last edited by euro6208 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#1683 Postby euro6208 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:05 am

:double: Look how big haiyan is if it was placed right over the U.S Mainland! I never knew it was that big! It wasn't at it's peak though... :eek:

Monster Typhoon....
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#1684 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:37 am

euro6208 wrote:Image

:double: Look how big haiyan is if it was placed right over the U.S Mainland! I never knew it was that big! It wasn't at it's peak though... :eek:

Monster Typhoon....

Representation is totally wrong. Haiyan's core at the time would by twice the size of Florida probably, no bigger than that.

Haiyan had its peak size when it was over the Camotes Sea - between Cebu and Leyte and had the size of north Florida up to New Jersey in distance most likely.
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#1685 Postby euro6208 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:43 am

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:Haiyan had its peak size when it was over the Camotes Sea - between Cebu and Leyte and had the size of north Florida up to New Jersey in distance most likely.

Haiyan is indeed smaller...
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1686 Postby cycloneye » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:52 pm

JMA released the post analysis report on Haiyan. Peak intensity was 125kts and lowest pressure was 895mbs.

http://www.wis-jma.go.jp/cms/warning/20 ... 8t000000z/
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1687 Postby Alyono » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:56 pm

there are questions as to the validity of the JMA estimates as they used ISLAND OBS to derive their Dvorak Table numbers.

Koba's study may be flawed
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#1688 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:44 am

euro6208 wrote:
xtyphooncyclonex wrote:Haiyan had its peak size when it was over the Camotes Sea - between Cebu and Leyte and had the size of north Florida up to New Jersey in distance most likely.

Haiyan is indeed smaller...

But, I could still call Haiyan large. It had a wind diameter of at least 830 km.
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#1689 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:48 am

I disagree with JMA's pressure. Probably, because Haiyan was not that small - pressure would be slightly lower at 885 mb. I totally agree with their wind estimate.
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#1690 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:52 am

Had Haiyan moved southwest after Leyte landfall - it would slow down and make landfall nearer to my location! It is worse because it can have more time to strengthen and more significant damage because Metropolitan Cebu is the 2nd busiest metro area in the country and it has more economic significance to my country and it would possibly cause in P100 billion damages alone. It would have killed thousands of people still as population here is 2x of Leyte and the province of Cebu is 4x of Leyte - or the entire East Visayas!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
BACK TO THE REST OF VISAYAS: I have heard that they have started to rebuild and renew their place after the storm. There have been several improvements already, but still, many people homeless and restless. Despite these, they are not hopeless. They have the Filipino spirit and no matter if something worse happens, they will stay resilient. I am happy that the neighboring islands of Panay, Negros and Cebu too have improvements! Even if Cebu [City] was hit by both an earthquake and a typhoon, it looks like nothing happened as I drove in the streets - they fixed the place so fast that you don't see it anymore!
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#1691 Postby Cyclenall » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:03 am

euro6208 wrote:*Image*

Monster Typhoon....

That doesn't look right to me. I know it was larger than normal, but that is Tip-level. Haiyan's CDO would be double the largest Atlantic CDO in history eyeing that.

cycloneye wrote:JMA released the post analysis report on Haiyan. Peak intensity was 125kts and lowest pressure was 895mbs.

895 mb? :lol: Uh no JMA.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1692 Postby cycloneye » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Dr Jeff Masters made a good discussion about the storm surge that Haiyan created.

The Philippines is a nation used to seeing devastating typhoons. Between 1984 and 2012, the Philippines saw seven tropical cyclones that killed at least 1,000 people. In all of these storms, it was destructive flooding due to heavy inland rains that was the main killer. This is in contrast to the Atlantic basin, where storm surge from the ocean has historically been the main killer. That's due, in part, to the fact that the Philippines gets hit more often by intense tropical cyclones than any place in the world, and this has influenced settlement patterns. The portion of the coast most prone to typhoon strikes--the east coast of Luzon Island--is not heavily populated, and does not have any major cities at low elevation that are prone to large storm surges. The islands of the Philippines farther to the south, like Leyte, Samar, and Mindanao, are hit far less often, since they are closer to the Equator, where typhoons have a tougher time getting spinning due to the lack of an extra boost from Earth's rotation. This relative lack of typhoon strikes has allowed more settlement on the east coast, and Tacloban (population 221,000) is the largest city on the Philippines' east coast. Tacloban also happens to be low-lying, with much of the city at less than ten feet elevation. It's position at the pointy end of a funnel-shaped bay makes its location particularly vulnerable to storm surge, since the topography acts to concentrate water at the apex of the funnel. The occurrence of a massive storm surge disaster in Tacloban was only a matter of time, and that time happened to be November 8, 2013, during Super Typhoon Haiyan.

How high was Haiyan's storm surge?

According to storm surge expert Dr. Hal Needham, the record highest storm surge in modern history in East Asia was 24 feet (7.3-meters) in 1897 on Samar Island, Philippines--the same location where Haiyan initially hit. He estimated that Haiyan's surge was very close to that at the Tacloban Airport: 21.3 feet (6.5 meters). Storm chaser Josh Morgerman of iCyclone.com rode out the storm in a hotel a mile northwest of the airport, where the surge may have been even higher, due to the shape of the coast. He stated in an email to me that "we determined our location to be at 26 ft (based on USGS data), and we flooded to a depth of about 4 ft, suggesting a whopping 30-ft surge. (Afterward, I had a geography expert research this, and he came up with the same value for our location—8 m or 26 ft.)" A storm surge of 21 - 30 feet hitting densely populated Tacloban, which did not fully evacuate low-lying areas, was bound to cause thousands of deaths.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMa ... #commentop
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Meow

#1693 Postby Meow » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:54 pm

Cyclenall wrote:
cycloneye wrote:JMA released the post analysis report on Haiyan. Peak intensity was 125kts and lowest pressure was 895mbs.

895 mb? :lol: Uh no JMA.

JTWC also gives 895 hPa.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1694 Postby Alyono » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:56 pm

straight Dvorak-Koba based. Was there any confirmation of the 889 at Guiuan?
0 likes   

stormstrike
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1695 Postby stormstrike » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:20 pm

First of all, I'M ALIVE!! Thank God. :eek:

There's so much to say about my experience on Haiyan even scary and terrible is not enough to describe it.

At about 4 am of November 8, I was about to post in this forum that the winds are picking up but the electricity
went down. (Until now it hasn't come back in our area. But in the downtown area there already is. I'm in Cebu right now
releasing stress. :lol: Has to come back tomorrow for Christmas that's why I thought maybe I could post here before I come back
in our place)

5 am of Nov 8 I think we were already feeling typhoon-strength gusts. Our banana trees were already down and I could really hear
some whistling. I was starting to get scared because I knew that landfall was still in a few hours yet we're already feeling those winds.

6 am Normal day for us. :) we cooked our breakfast. By that time, I thought this was it. This could maybe be the max winds we would feel.
And I felt relieved that our house could withstand the VERY STRONG winds.

At about 7 am. I DON'T KNOW HOW INTENSE THOSE WINDS ARE BUT REALLY IT WAS HELL OUTSIDE! Frankly, I was surprised that there would be stronger
winds than what we experienced an hour ago. Our roof started to fly one by one. I think it was one roof per minute. :eek: Really it was like
the wind is plucking our roof. All we could do was watch as our house gets dismantled. (Btw We had an extension of our house where it is
purely concrete, a box-type kind of building with two floors. If it wasn't for this, maybe I could not be here writing this one)

We could see nothing outside but ALL WHITE. It was like we're in the sky. And we were like in a jet. Frankly, I was amazed by that scenery.

Our house was shaking for almost 30 min. We are at the 2nd floor since we're anticipating high floodwater. By that time, all I could do was pray. It was REALLY scary. My mother and sister were already crying.
Our sliding windows were pushed back by the winds so we just opened the remaining windows to let the winds come in. And this is where I saw
what's happening outside. The usual, roofs dismantled, trees uprooted, electric posts down. I even saw WHOLE ROOF flew by about 6 feet before it went down. O.O
Also saw water tanks flying. After that I stepped away from the window. We stayed at our bathroom for about 2 hours. We thought it was the safest part
of our house. No windows, just concrete walls and a door. It served as our panic room. :D

At about 9 am. I went outside with helmet on. AND I WAS SURPRISED TO SEE THAT OUR OWNER-TYPE JEEP WAS ALREADY OUTSIDE OUR HOUSE. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET
ALREADY SUBMERGED BY THE FAST RISING WATER. To think that we locked our gate yet it still went outside. I was speechless for about 10 seconds before I reported
it to my father.

We were also surprised by the fact that the floodwater in our area smells like seawater. We thought that it was only due to the typhoon rain. I NEVER thought at that
time that there would be a storm surge. And we're about 2 km away from the coastline. Nearest would be the Cancabato Bay in San Jose, Tacloban or in Baras, Candahug, Palo. (It was
later confirmed that it was seawater due to witnesses in a neighboring never-been-flooded subdivision saying that waves of water rushed through their houses to a depth of about 3 feet and said
it immediately went down)

Winds weakened by about 11 am. And we could see the extensive damage in our area. We went outside to save things that could still be saved.

It was already after 3 days when we've learned about what happened in the coastal areas. We were worried sick of our friends and relatives.

Problems did not stop there. We had no food for the next days so we have to search for food and water. It was really hard to look for food since stores were already looted. Good thing a damaged warehouse
there gave their stocks to the survivors.

For almost a month, we had to rely on relief goods. Good thing now is that we could already eat non-canned foods. :D

There's so much to say about my experience on this violent typhoon. I was just really thankful that none of my loved ones has perished. And that we're
still lucky we had some things saved and we still have a house to sleep in. (My uncle's brother in Tanauan had to climb a coconut tree WAY ON TOP just to escape the surge)

Until next time guys, and thanks for the worries.

TINDOG TACLOBAN, BANGON PILIPINAS

---------------------------------------------
By the way, our area is located near the border of Tacloban-Palo.
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#1696 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:33 pm

stormstrike wrote:First of all, I'M ALIVE!! Thank God. :eek:

There's so much to say about my experience on Haiyan even scary and terrible is not enough to describe it.

At about 4 am of November 8, I was about to post in this forum that the winds are picking up but the electricity
went down. (Until now it hasn't come back in our area. But in the downtown area there already is. I'm in Cebu right now
releasing stress. :lol: Has to come back tomorrow for Christmas that's why I thought maybe I could post here before I come back
in our place)

5 am of Nov 8 I think we were already feeling typhoon-strength gusts. Our banana trees were already down and I could really hear
some whistling. I was starting to get scared because I knew that landfall was still in a few hours yet we're already feeling those winds.

6 am Normal day for us. :) we cooked our breakfast. By that time, I thought this was it. This could maybe be the max winds we would feel.

At about 7 am. I DON'T KNOW HOW INTENSE THOSE WINDS ARE BUT REALLY IT WAS HELL OUTSIDE! Frankly, I was surprised that there would be stronger
winds than what we experienced an hour ago. Our roof started to fly one by one. I think it was one roof per minute. :eek: Really it was like
the wind is plucking our roof. All we could do was watch as our house gets dismantled. (Btw We had an extension of our house where it is
purely concrete, a box-type kind of building with two floors. If it wasn't for this, maybe I could not be here writing this one)

We could see nothing outside but ALL WHITE. It was like we're in the sky. And we were like in a jet. Frankly, I was amazed by that scenery.

Our house was shaking for almost 30 min. We are at the 2nd floor since we're anticipating high floodwater. By that time, all I could do was pray. It was REALLY scary. My mother and sister were already crying.
Our sliding windows were pushed back by the winds so we just opened the remaining windows to let the winds come in. And this is where I saw
what's happening outside. The usual, roofs dismantled, trees uprooted, electric posts down. I even saw WHOLE ROOF flew by about 6 feet before it went down. O.O
Also saw water tanks flying. After that I stepped away from the window. We stayed at our bathroom for about 2 hours. We thought it was the safest part
of our house. No windows, just concrete walls and a door. It served as our panic room. :D

At about 9 am. I went outside with helmet on. AND I WAS SURPRISED TO SEE THAT OUR OWNER-TYPE JEEP WAS ALREADY OUTSIDE OUR HOUSE. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET
ALREADY SUBMERGED BY THE FAST RISING WATER. To think that we locked our gate yet it still went outside. I was speechless for about 10 seconds before I reported
it to my father.

We were also surprised by the fact that the floodwater in our area smells like seawater. We thought that it was only due to the typhoon rain. I NEVER thought at that
time that there would be a storm surge. And we're about 2 km away from the coastline. Nearest would be the Cancabato Bay in San Jose, Tacloban or in Baras, Candahug, Palo. (It was
later confirmed that it was seawater due to witnesses in a neighboring never-been-flooded subdivision saying that waves of water rushed through their houses to a depth of about 3 feet and said

Winds weakened by about 11 am. And we could see the extensive damage in our area. We went outside to save things that could still be saved.

It was already after 3 days when we've learned about what happened in the coastal areas. We were worried sick of our friends and relatives.

Problems did not stop there. We had no food for the next days so we have to search for food and water. It was really hard to look for food since stores were already looted. Good thing a damaged warehouse

For almost a month, we had to rely on relief goods. Good thing now is that we could already eat non-canned foods. :D

There's so much to say about my experience on this violent typhoon. I was just really thankful that none of my loved ones has perished. And that we're
still lucky we had some things saved and we still have a house to sleep in. (My uncle's brother in Tanauan had to climb a coconut tree WAY ON TOP just to escape the surge)

This story is amazing! At least, you're alive and you're able to post. I hope you could enjoy your stay here!
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#1697 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:40 pm

Megi and Haiyan are yet the only OFFICIAL sub-900 mb storms in the west Pacific basin in the 21st century.
0 likes   

hurricanes1234
Category 5
Category 5

#1698 Postby hurricanes1234 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:53 pm

in our place)

it to my father.

That's right, thank God!!! :D I am happy to hear that you're alive. What a frightening event-of-the-century it must have been like to experience possibly the most powerful tropical cyclone in terms of 1-min sustained winds FIRST HAND! I can't imagine something like that because where I live is sheltered by its proximity to the equator and it's in the Atlantic basin. Anyway, I hope everything is in order now, and I am also really happy that none of your relatives died! That, in my opinion, besides the person's survival, is the best thing. :)
0 likes   
PLEASE NOTE: With the exception of information from weather agencies that I may copy and paste here, my posts will NEVER be official, since I am NOT a meteorologist. They are solely my amateur opinion, and may or may not be accurate. Therefore, please DO NOT use them as official details, particularly when making important decisions. Thank you.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1699 Postby Alyono » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:19 pm

Glad you made it out alive!

Which part of Tacloban are you in. I am asking as it appears the center of the city had the equivalent of cat 3 winds. However, the extreme southern parts may have had cat 4 winds. The insane winds did stay south of the city in Palo and Tanauan
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1700 Postby tolakram » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:08 am

Indeed, great to see you posting!
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Return to “2013”