WPAC: HAIYAN - Post-Tropical

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 3283
Age: 16
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:07 am
Location: Cebu City
Contact:

Re:

#1701 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:37 am

Alyono wrote:Glad you made it out alive!

Which part of Tacloban are you in. I am asking as it appears the center of the city had the equivalent of cat 3 winds. However, the extreme southern parts may have had cat 4 winds. The insane winds did stay south of the city in Palo and Tanauan

If there were cat 3 winds, why did he say that it was like a jet plane? Winds were too intense for the storm chasers there and almost everything was FLYING!

You are thinking of 195 km/h 10-min most likely, which is 260 km/h in 1-min. Why on earth would you say that with a storm of probably 330 km/h winds? This statement is ridiculous. Central Tacloban had winds of probably 245 km/h.

You are saying that because YOU PROBABLY FORGOT that Haiyan wasn't a low-end cat 5 storm. IF it were, your statement would be correct but because it was a high-end cat 5 - it had at least super typhoon winds.
TOLOSA WAS ONLY 29 km away - that's where the eye passed - and that is not too far for STY winds. Basey had high-end cat 3 winds.

https://twitter.com/MichaelRLowry/statu ... 60/photo/1
THE PIC ^ showed its strongest winds north of Tanauan - Palo. Tacloban did not have the strongest winds, and still super typhoon (240 kph) winds aren't the strongest and that's what they had. Don't tell me Haiyan was not a HIGH END cat 5. Cat 3 [you said] and cat 5 are a big difference.

I NEVER SAID TACLOBAN HAD THE STRONGEST WINDS, GUSTS IN TOLOSA WERE ABOUT 380 KPH!
Cat 3 winds are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIRodRRFu4s
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

User avatar
angelwing
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 4461
Age: 56
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:06 pm
Location: Kulpsville, PA

Re: WPAC: HAIYAN - Post-Tropical

#1702 Postby angelwing » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:38 am

tolakram wrote:
stormstrike wrote:First of all, I'M ALIVE!! Thank God. :eek:



So happy to see you posting and that no one in your family died!!!!!
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Posts: 6639
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:52 pm
Location: Texas Coast

Re: Re:

#1703 Postby Alyono » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:42 am

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:
Alyono wrote:Glad you made it out alive!

Which part of Tacloban are you in. I am asking as it appears the center of the city had the equivalent of cat 3 winds. However, the extreme southern parts may have had cat 4 winds. The insane winds did stay south of the city in Palo and Tanauan

If there were cat 3 winds, why did he say that it was like a jet plane? Winds were too intense for the storm chasers there and almost everything was FLYING!

You are thinking of 195 km/h 10-min most likely, which is 260 km/h in 1-min. Why on earth would you say that with a storm of probably 330 km/h winds? This statement is ridiculous. Central Tacloban had winds of probably 245 km/h.

You are saying that because YOU PROBABLY FORGOT that Haiyan wasn't a low-end cat 5 storm. IF it were, your statement would be correct but because it was a high-end cat 5 - it had at least super typhoon winds.
TOLOSA WAS ONLY 29 km away - that's where the eye passed - and that is not too far for STY winds. Basey had high-end cat 3 winds.

https://twitter.com/MichaelRLowry/statu ... 60/photo/1
THE PIC ^ showed its strongest winds north of Tanauan - Palo. Tacloban did not have the strongest winds, and still super typhoon (240 kph) winds aren't the strongest and that's what they had. Don't tell me Haiyan was not a HIGH END cat 5. Cat 3 [you said] and cat 5 are a big difference.

I NEVER SAID TACLOBAN HAD THE STRONGEST WINDS, GUSTS IN TOLOSA WERE ABOUT 380 KPH!
Cat 3 winds are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIRodRRFu4s


Cat 3 winds are the same as an EF3 tornado in terms of gusts (can be approaching EF4). That sounds like a jet engine! You are unaware as to how destructive cat 3 winds really are, as are most people. The reason is so few people actually experience them. However, damage surveys have indicated winds in Tacloban were cat 3

Furthermore, your conversion is wrong. You multiply 1.13 to get 1 min winds from 10 min winds
0 likes   

User avatar
mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1456
Age: 26
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:18 am
Location: 14.13N 120.98E
Contact:

Re: WPAC: HAIYAN - Post-Tropical

#1704 Postby mrbagyo » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:17 am

stormstrike wrote:First of all, I'M ALIVE!! Thank God. :eek:

God is great! it's nice to see you posting again..

Maximum winds must be concentrated in a relatively small area, right?
Palo should have received borderline high end cat 4 to low cat 5 winds...
the maximum wind however ... we don't know where that concentrated winds struck.

Based on the account of Stormstrike, looks like they received sustained winds similar to Hurricane Charley's gust
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC, NHC and NWS products.

Dave C
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 826
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:36 pm
Location: Middleboro, Mass.(midway between Cape Cod and Boston)

#1705 Postby Dave C » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:24 pm

Thanks for sharing your story Stormstrike!. That 30 minutes of shaking was clearly your penetration into the eyewall. Center landfall seemed about 7 :15 am from a storm chasers lowest pressure reported in Taclabon City. That means you probably went about halfway deep into the north eyewall. Glad your OK!!!! :double: :double: :double:
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Posts: 6639
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:52 pm
Location: Texas Coast

#1706 Postby Alyono » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:35 pm

with stormstrike being on the border of Tacloban and Palo, he probably did get cat 4 winds then. Probably very similar to Kauai in Iniki. Probably sustained in the 140 mph range with gusts over 170 mph (or the gusts were the same intensity as an EF4 tornado)
0 likes   

User avatar
galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1213
Age: 23
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:04 pm
Location: Casa Grande, Arizona

#1707 Postby galaxy401 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:33 pm

Wow what a very scary story Stormstrike! I don't know how I would feel if I was in that...Hope you don't have to go through that again.
0 likes   
I don't get hurricanes here but I do get their remnants.

User avatar
beoumont
Category 1
Category 1
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:13 pm
Location: East Central Florida
Contact:

New max wind video from Haiyan - 6.5 miles from edge of eye

#1708 Postby beoumont » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:21 pm

I came across this video that says it was shot at Abuyog Community College, Philippines, which, on Google Earth, measures 6.6 miles south of where the southern edge of the eye of Haiyan crossed the coast.

Because of the low visibility and lack of trees, I can only guestimate the winds are somewhere between 125 and 170 mph. Quite a range, I know. The power looks extreme; but the fact that the one super palm tree does not snap and the buildings are holding up, makes me not be "sure" the winds are in the upper lever noted above.

Highest winds I've seen so far of this storm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxw9_UmmVxM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Image
0 likes   
List of 78 tropical cyclones intercepted :
http://www.canebeard.com/page/page/572246.htm

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Posts: 6639
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:52 pm
Location: Texas Coast

Re: WPAC: HAIYAN - Post-Tropical

#1709 Postby Alyono » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Looking at the video, my rough estimate would be borderline cat 3/4 winds given the location
0 likes   

User avatar
euro6208
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 13722
Age: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:50 pm
Location: Guam U.S.A

Re: WPAC: HAIYAN - Post-Tropical

#1710 Postby euro6208 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:42 am

stormstrike wrote:First of all, I'M ALIVE!! Thank God. :eek:



I am very glad to hear that you are alright!

Unfortunately many perished...
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/guam/

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 3421
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: East Longmeadow, MA, USA

Re: WPAC: HAIYAN - Post-Tropical

#1711 Postby HurricaneBill » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:42 pm

Stormstrike, I'm so glad you're okay! We were all worried.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Posts: 26941
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Deep South, for the first time!

#1712 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:08 pm

Tacloban probably had at least Cat 4 sustained winds, perhaps Cat 5 in some spots. That is the kind of damage we have not seen in the US in any recent storms, at least not since Andrew (and it was much more widespread than during Andrew). Some islands certainly saw high-end Cat 5 winds (i.e. over 180 mph sustained).

Consider the trees. There was widespread debarking even as far inland as Ormoc (and beyond). I don't remember seeing any debarked trees after Katrina in the MS coast from wind, and not even after Charley in Punta Gorda. That is a sign that winds were clearly extreme, beyond anything the US has seen recently.
0 likes   

User avatar
Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 6453
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:01 pm
Location: Ontario Canada

Re:

#1713 Postby Cyclenall » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:57 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:Tacloban probably had at least Cat 4 sustained winds, perhaps Cat 5 in some spots. That is the kind of damage we have not seen in the US in any recent storms, at least not since Andrew (and it was much more widespread than during Andrew). Some islands certainly saw high-end Cat 5 winds (i.e. over 180 mph sustained).

Consider the trees. There was widespread debarking even as far inland as Ormoc (and beyond). I don't remember seeing any debarked trees after Katrina in the MS coast from wind, and not even after Charley in Punta Gorda. That is a sign that winds were clearly extreme, beyond anything the US has seen recently.

I think this is my favorite post made this this topic in a month (Stormstrike's story was intense and quite a read I must say too). OT: How did you fare through our ice storm Crazy? Post in the Canadian topic about it!
0 likes   

stormstrike
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:37 am

Re: WPAC: HAIYAN - Post-Tropical

#1714 Postby stormstrike » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:33 pm

Yeah I'm back! :)

Just using mobile net. :lol: Still no electricity and no wifi net.

Before everything, Taclobanons would like to thank the foreign aids especially to the Americans, Canadians, Koreans, Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, Singaporeans, Israelis, and other foreigners that I did not see yet helped us greatly. Hehe No thanks to the PH Gov't for their very slow response especially to M** R****.

----------------------
As for my location, it's just roughly 500 m from the border of Tacloban-Palo. So I assume I'm at the southernmost part of Tacloban City.

As for the debarking of trees, I remember clearly that ALL trees that I saw, except for some coconuts and bamboos, had no leaves left, some even had no branches. Trees were only like matchsticks at the mountains from afar.

As for the max winds, I don't know about that. I got scared. I tried observing from our balcony. The rains together with the howling wind was very painful. It was like piercing me. I immediately went inside our house. :lol:
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met
Posts: 26941
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Deep South, for the first time!

Re: Re:

#1715 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Cyclenall wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:Tacloban probably had at least Cat 4 sustained winds, perhaps Cat 5 in some spots. That is the kind of damage we have not seen in the US in any recent storms, at least not since Andrew (and it was much more widespread than during Andrew). Some islands certainly saw high-end Cat 5 winds (i.e. over 180 mph sustained).

Consider the trees. There was widespread debarking even as far inland as Ormoc (and beyond). I don't remember seeing any debarked trees after Katrina in the MS coast from wind, and not even after Charley in Punta Gorda. That is a sign that winds were clearly extreme, beyond anything the US has seen recently.

I think this is my favorite post made this this topic in a month (Stormstrike's story was intense and quite a read I must say too). OT: How did you fare through our ice storm Crazy? Post in the Canadian topic about it!


It stayed south of me!
0 likes   

User avatar
mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1456
Age: 26
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:18 am
Location: 14.13N 120.98E
Contact:

Re: WPAC: HAIYAN - Post-Tropical

#1716 Postby mrbagyo » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:25 am

Picture is from Earth Uncut TV Facebook page(James Reynold / Typhoonhunter) :
"Guiuan beachfront today on the Pacific side. It took the full force of super typhoon Haiyan near peak intensity. Looked like a nuke had gone off."
Image
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC, NHC and NWS products.

User avatar
euro6208
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 13722
Age: 30
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:50 pm
Location: Guam U.S.A

Re: WPAC: HAIYAN - Post-Tropical

#1717 Postby euro6208 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:43 am

6,241 confirmed, 1,785 missing

Officials say count is lower than expected.

We will never know.
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/guam/

Meow

Re: WPAC: HAIYAN - Post-Tropical

#1718 Postby Meow » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:34 pm

euro6208 wrote:6,241 confirmed, 1,785 missing

Officials say count is lower than expected.

We will never know.

They expected zero before Haiyan came.
0 likes   

HurricaneBill
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 3421
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: East Longmeadow, MA, USA

Re: WPAC: HAIYAN - Post-Tropical

#1719 Postby HurricaneBill » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:27 pm

One thing that surprises me is that Haiyan trails Bopha as the costliest typhoon to strike the Philippines.

Haiyan: PHP 36.7 billion (US $827 million)

Bopha: PHP 42.2 billion (US $1.04 billion)
0 likes   

User avatar
mrbagyo
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 1456
Age: 26
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:18 am
Location: 14.13N 120.98E
Contact:

Re: WPAC: HAIYAN - Post-Tropical

#1720 Postby mrbagyo » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:17 pm

HurricaneBill wrote:One thing that surprises me is that Haiyan trails Bopha as the costliest typhoon to strike the Philippines.

Haiyan: PHP 36.7 billion (US $827 million)

Bopha: PHP 42.2 billion (US $1.04 billion)


Don't believe the report of NDRRMC, I bet it's not reflective of the real number... plain common sense is enough to guage the impact of Haiyan vs Bopha.
NDRRMC always preach the "zero casualty campaign" since 2010, but look what happened in washi(2011), bopha(2012), haiyan(2013), it keeps getting worse.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC, NHC and NWS products.


Return to “2013”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests