ATL: DANNY - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#741 Postby gatorcane » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:12 pm

The NAVGEM just won't give up on this system. It has shifted more south and sends it just north of the Greater Antilles and into the SE Bahamas. Fortunately it is inferior to the GFS and ECMWF which don't show anything like this:

Last edited by gatorcane on Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

WPBWeather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: DANNY - Models

#742 Postby WPBWeather » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:43 pm

:uarrow: and then what happens??
0 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#743 Postby AutoPenalti » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:11 pm

WPBWeather wrote::uarrow: and then what happens??

RI? Maybe?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#744 Postby tolakram » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:38 pm

0Z GFS running

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#745 Postby tolakram » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:45 pm

Nearly identical to the previous run so far.

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#746 Postby blp » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:50 pm

Why is the GFS initialized at 1003mb. Am I missing something. I ran the 10m Surface Pressure map. Another garbage run why bother.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

bahamaswx
Category 5
Category 5

#747 Postby bahamaswx » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:02 pm

blp wrote:Why is the GFS initialized at 1003mb. Am I missing something. I ran the 10m Surface Pressure map. Another garbage run why bother.

A poor initialization is unfortunate, but certainly does not equal garbage.
0 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#748 Postby blp » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:07 pm

bahamaswx wrote:
blp wrote:Why is the GFS initialized at 1003mb. Am I missing something. I ran the 10m Surface Pressure map. Another garbage run why bother.

Your right just a little frustrated. Well well 96 hr has it further north with greater vorticity.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#749 Postby Hammy » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:07 pm

bahamaswx wrote:

I would say it is, considering it makes the run essentially worthless as that's a significant difference in intensity, which means a significant difference in future track/intensity forecast by the GFS.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#750 Postby chaser1 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:09 pm

SO, SO TRUE!!!!!! Why even run it?

As far as the GFS is concerned, it's already a shallow little blip, just riding the Easterly trades like a tall sail boat with no one at the wheel. Wow? That thought kinda puts me in the mood for a Bahama Mama & a little bit of Jimmy Buffet! ;)
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#751 Postby blp » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:11 pm

Hugging the coast now at 108hrs. Still has vorticity. One can only wonder if just hair further north and properly initialized.
0 likes   

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#752 Postby floridasun78 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:16 pm

blp wrote:Hugging the coast now at 108hrs. Still has vorticity. One can only wonder if just hair further north and properly initialized.

what Models show that?
0 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#753 Postby blp » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:27 pm

00z GFS holds onto vorticity longer and finally misses Hispaniola only to get driven into E. Cuba mountains. So continues to move North. Would have loved to have seen proper initialization. The system is so small I think it just cannot resolve it well.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#754 Postby tolakram » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:32 pm

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#755 Postby Alyono » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:03 am

the initialization is fine at 1003mb given how small this is. It's a global not a high resolution model.
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#756 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:08 am

The HWRF is too far south in its track as its north of 15N closer to 16N at 50W while the HWRF at that pt is at 14.8N at 50W or a 50nautical mile difference which means alot in path

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#757 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:13 am

The HWRF at 60hrs seems to be starting to slacken the shear looking at the simulated satellite and Danny sure expands just NE of the lesser antilles

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products
0 likes   

YoshiMike
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#758 Postby YoshiMike » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:40 am

Hurricaneman wrote:The HWRF at 60hrs seems to be starting to slacken the shear looking at the simulated satellite and Danny sure expands just NE of the lesser antilles

Does this mean you think it has a better chance of surviving than what is anticipated?
0 likes   
Okay guys, just because I want to BE a meteorologist, want to go to school for meteorology, DOES NOT MAKE ME A METEOROLOGIST. Anything I say about tropical weather is either me learning something new, or is just an opinion and nothing more than that. I can almost guarantee you that I will be wrong about pretty much everything.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Re:

#759 Postby chaser1 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:17 am

YoshiMike wrote:
Hurricaneman wrote:The HWRF at 60hrs seems to be starting to slacken the shear looking at the simulated satellite and Danny sure expands just NE of the lesser antilles

Does this mean you think it has a better chance of surviving than what is anticipated?

Perhaps an example of... "what doesn't kill you, might make you stronger" ("Andrew"? What about Andrew? I NEVER mentioned "him"... musta been someone that yelled out from the cheap seats, LOL)
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#760 Postby chaser1 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:23 am

By the way, EURO is coming out and up to 96 hr. forecast. It still pretty much kills Danny at landfall along the southern P.R. coast. Only subtle thing I noticed at 96 hr., is that the vorticity associated with the remnants of Danny, have migrated to the north coast of HIspanola. Also, there is a far larger broad system fast approaching the Antilles from the east at that point.
0 likes   

Return to “2015”