ATL: DANNY - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#81 Postby gatorcane » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:09 am

Looking at the RAMMB floater to me it appears to be maintaining, not getting less organized. There is big area of convection building on the SE side and let's see if it can wrap some of that into the LLC. Also looks like there is a hint it could be trying to move slightly more N of due west so could be a sign it may start gaining a little latitude as some of the models have suggested it would:

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis ... display=12

As an aside, looking at that floater there is another spin further east and yet another cluster of thunderstorms moving off Africa. Activity certainly on the increase in the MDR.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#82 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:13 am

One thing for sure is most of the deep convection has been limited to the south of it where the ITCZ is due to dry air/SAL to the north.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re:

#83 Postby SFLcane » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:14 am

Alyono wrote:looking less organized than before. I'd say 20% chance of development. For a US threat, need to look toward Hawaii once again

Agree if it wants to do something it better be soon. Might see naked swirl this evening with all that dry air and strong windshear nearby . This basin is pathetic :roll:
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#84 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:15 am

gatorcane wrote:Looking at the RAMMB floater to me it appears to be maintaining, not getting less organized. There is big area of convection building on the SE side and let's see if it can wrap some of that into the LLC. Also looks like there is a hint it could be trying to move slightly more N of due west so could be a sign it may start gaining a little latitude as some of the models have suggested it would:

As an aside, looking at that floater there is another spin further east and yet another cluster of thunderstorms moving off Africa. Activity certainly on the increase in the MDR.

Your always interesting to listen to.

By the way do you happen to know if any Kelvin Waves are helping this increase in moisture across the Atlantic and MDR?
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#85 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:18 am

SFLcane wrote:
Alyono wrote:looking less organized than before. I'd say 20% chance of development. For a US threat, need to look toward Hawaii once again

Agree if it wants to do something it better be soon. Might see naked swirl this evening with all that dry air and strong windshear nearby . This basin is pathetic :roll:

What wind shear? Where it is there is only 0-10kts of wind shear.
0 likes   

Riptide
Category 2
Category 2

Re: ATL: INVEST 96L - Discussion

#86 Postby Riptide » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:21 am

Even in above-average seasons. You don't see most waves blow up right off the coast. The average longitude of formation is about 50W.

I can only surmise the unwarranted pessimism is from past seasons.
0 likes   

andyis
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#87 Postby andyis » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:24 am

I would not rule anything out with invest 96L, it may hold it's own for now, but has some potential to increase it's strength. No one can really predict what may happen down the road~! I can see it strengthening into something more potent, we can only watch and wait!
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#88 Postby gatorcane » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:25 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
gatorcane wrote:Looking at the RAMMB floater to me it appears to be maintaining, not getting less organized. There is big area of convection building on the SE side and let's see if it can wrap some of that into the LLC. Also looks like there is a hint it could be trying to move slightly more N of due west so could be a sign it may start gaining a little latitude as some of the models have suggested it would:

By the way do you happen to know if any Kelvin Waves are helping this increase in moisture across the Atlantic and MDR?

Glad somebody finds my comments interesting! :)

Well looking at this graphic, it appears there is more rising air in the MDR now than we have seen all hurricane season. It might be helping with the increased convection:

Last edited by gatorcane on Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

drezee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#89 Postby drezee » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:25 am

The problem with this system is the same as simple as climo. If this system heads through the Eastern Caribbean, then the "Columbian heat low" will open it up as the pressure down there are below 1005. It happens time and time again. It has happened to two nice waves this year as well. It would have to be a healthy TS to survive. Also, it would likely have to accelerate during the trek as well (increasing shear). I think the only survivable path is over or north of the Greater Antilles.

Insert Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
0 likes   

Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#90 Postby Dean4Storms » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:35 am

Looks like the dry air is taking its toll and the SST's cool slightly near 40W. It might struggle to develop unless moisture and convection can overcome the dry air on the northern periphery and the loss of oceanic heat content doesn't kill the instability.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#91 Postby Ntxw » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:37 am

TheStormExpert,

There is an active CCKW phase that is helping with convection across the Atlantic and Africa. This is likely why models have been trying to spin up systems variably. It will remain so throughout this week before suppressed phase may hit. What this does is helps prevent too much sinking air for thunderstorms and systems can pulse convection if shear is not in the way.
0 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

WPBWeather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#92 Postby WPBWeather » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:42 am

gatorcane wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:

Glad somebody finds my comments interesting! :)

Well looking at this graphic, it appears there is more rising air in the MDR now than we have seen all hurricane season. It might be helping with the increased convection:

I second that! Gatorcane has consistently posted reasoned and appropriate comments for some years now.
0 likes   

curtadams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#93 Postby curtadams » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:10 am

It looks very unlikely to develop to me. When storms develop they tend to pull north, which will move it right into the huge and strong SAL outbreak on it, above it, and in front of it. If it ever gets going it will be immediately asphyxiated. Maybe it could technically qualify as a cyclone for a bit but the NHC doesn't like to name ephemeral midocean storms.
0 likes   

ninel conde
Category 5
Category 5

#94 Postby ninel conde » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:15 am

satellite looks awfully dry to me. might be a few clouds left by the time it gets to the carib. 0% chance of anything developing of interest.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#95 Postby gatorcane » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:19 am

:uarrow: I wouldn't be so sure about dry air killing this one this time at least not before it gets designated a TD or a TS. 12Z GFS now going with development
0 likes   

tatertawt24
Category 1
Category 1

#96 Postby tatertawt24 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:39 am

What would be the best direction for this thing to go in right now if it wants to stay alive?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#97 Postby ronjon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:42 am

gatorcane wrote::uarrow: I wouldn't be so sure about dry air killing this one this time at least not before it gets designated a TD or a TS. 12Z GFS now going with development

Just check out the water vapor loop - there is a large envelope of moisture surrounding this feature - real dry air over near 50-60W now.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#98 Postby gatorcane » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:56 pm

Stays at 50/70:

ABNT20 KNHC 171755
TWOAT

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
200 PM EDT MON AUG 17 2015

For the North Atlantic...Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico:

Shower and thunderstorm activity associated with an area of low
pressure located several hundred miles southwest of the Cape Verde
Islands continues to show signs of organization. Environmental
conditions appear conducive for development over the next several
days, and a tropical depression will likely form by the middle of
the week while the system moves westward or west-northwestward near
15 mph.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...50 percent
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...70 percent

$$
Forecaster Stewart
Last edited by gatorcane on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#99 Postby galaxy401 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:02 pm

^ That was pretty much a copy and paste...
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#100 Postby SFLcane » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:08 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
SFLcane wrote:

What wind shear? Where it is there is only 0-10kts of wind shear.

Ah record Caribbean windshear awaits along with a wall of dry sinking air. I just don't buy those intensity models at all. Already looks to be choking all to familiar seen in this basin now a days.
0 likes   

Return to “2015”