SPAC: PAM - Post-Tropical

Moderator: S2k Moderators

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#321 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:15 pm

Alyono wrote:where in the world did I say Pam was a mid grade TS? I said the obs in Port Vila were sustained TS. Check them for yourself before you put words in my mouth

Also, the codes CANNOT be designed to withstand cat 3 winds. You think we're dealing with Grand Cayman? Many buildings have tin roofs! It's an impoverished nation and the construction reflects that. Many homes could not survive a low end TS.

I'm interested if there are any obs in the more southern islands that got the eastern eyewall. That would provide a better estimate regarding the intensity

Actually, even though building codes are weaker than in other countries, the destruction defies that.

And finally an article. http://www.businessinsider.com/afp-vanuatu-conditions-more-difficult-than-philippines-typhoon-2015-3
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#322 Postby Alyono » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:27 pm

Those houses you showed cannot survive a TS. We're talking tin roofs (or even thatched roofs), with very poor walls. Those houses come down with sustained 50 mph winds
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#323 Postby 1900hurricane » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:45 am

Interesting fact, Pam is the first storm to receive a CI of 7.5 (135 kt from Nadi) outside of the Western Pacific since Rick in the Eastern Pacific from October 2009.
0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Return to “2015”