SPAC: PAM - Post-Tropical

Moderator: S2k Moderators

talkon
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: Re:

#281 Postby talkon » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:04 am

@xtyphooncyclonex

That 942.1 mb is not from iCyclone members, it is official data from Australia BoM at http://www.bom.gov.au/cosppac/rtdd/q1c7o0hj48yu/
0 likes   
DISCLAIMER: I am not a meteorologist. Any posts I made, unless copied from some official agency, are only my opinion and is unofficial and often exaggerated. Please refer to your official RSMC for official products and warnings.

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#282 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:17 am

:uarrow: It is ALSO from the iCyclone members from Vanuatu. Probably they measured at the same spot....
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

Re: SPAC: PAM - Severe Tropical Cyclone

#283 Postby euro6208 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:21 am

Current location of Pam...Just east of Port Villa...which probrably escaped the eyewall...Not so much eastern Efate...
Last edited by euro6208 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

NWS for the Western Pacific

https://www.weather.gov/gum/

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#284 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:22 am

I don't get why the station says only 50 knot gusts. I experienced it and blew off some branches.

People in Vanuatu are reporting turbulent and violent conditions

No doubt, violent winds are still raking the island at this very moment. Anyhow... Sorry this post is so weather-nerdy-- we know a lot of y'all are worried about family and friends. Communications are spotty. If you're on Efate and still able to, please let us know how you're doing and what you're seeing and hearing!

11:25 pm Friday (Vanuatu): The eye of Cyclone PAM has veered a tad E and seems to be skimming along the E side of Efate. Reports from Port Vila are frightening, and we have several brave iCyclone members who are posting to this page as they huddle in bathrooms and safe rooms. A member in Port Vila reported 944.6 mb and turbulent, shifting winds at about 11:10 pm VUT-- I'm trying to find out more about this reading, as we have so little other data to work with. To folks on Efate who are still with us: HANG IN THERE. We're all with you in spirit. Warm Southern Californian hugs for all of you.

BTW, iCyclone member in Port Vila reported 937.9 mb around 11:55 pm, but we've been unable to find out much about that reading.
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#285 Postby Yellow Evan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:31 am

euro6208 wrote:Image

Current location of Pam...Just east of Port Villa...which probrably escaped the eyewall...Not so much eastern Efate...

Thus making the 938 mbar pressure more impressive.
0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#286 Postby euro6208 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:33 am

Interesting fact...Pam is the first category 5 to make landfall since Super Typhoon Haiyan in November 2013...

Although Typhoon Rammasun back in July 2014 argues against that which was rated as a strong category 4 135 knots before landfall over Hainan Island but had a reading of 892.3 mb by a personal station which is Wilma type...Muchy stronger...

Best track for 2014 isn't out yet...
0 likes   
Remember, all of my post aren't official. For official warnings and discussions, Please refer to your local NWS products...

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#287 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:37 am

From Weather Underground:

One satellite estimate from the University of Wisconsin suggested Pam's central pressure may be as low as 890 millibars. Another estimate Friday morning, U.S. time had a lower pressure (879 millibars). The lower the central pressure, the stronger the tropical cyclone, in general.
0 likes   

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#288 Postby euro6208 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:40 am

What?

Port Villa was so near the eyewall yet according to Masters, they only received 31 mph gusting to 59?

Are there some mountains protecting this capital?
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#289 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:42 am

euro6208 wrote:What?

Port Villa was so near the eyewall yet according to Masters, they only received 31 mph gusting to 59?

Aren't you reading the posts of iCyclone and my posts about their conditions? The winds by Masters have no specified time and that you should read MORE before you judge
0 likes   

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#290 Postby Yellow Evan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:48 am

What time? Hard to believe. I think the anometer is not working.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#291 Postby cycloneye » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:49 am

xtyphooncyclonex wrote:

Aren't you reading the posts of iCyclone and my posts about their conditions? The winds by Masters have no specified time and that you should read MORE before you judge

Maybe I had to repost my friendly warning.

This is a very serious situation going on in those islands so we don't need bickering going on between members.You can have differences of opinion but do it with respect to others that may not agree with your point of view. Thank you for your cooperation.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#292 Postby Alyono » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:52 am

I saw some gusts near hurricane force in Port Vila, with sustained between 50 and 60 mph at peak

Given that people very rarely experience those winds, winds of that level would accurately describe the conditions reported by the people
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#293 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:16 pm

If the Schloemer equation was used based on the 938mb pressure, about 30 nautical miles from the center (with an RMW of 35 nautical miles used and an outermost closed isobar of 1012mb):

(PR - Po) / (Pn - Po) = e^(-RMW/R)

(938 - Po) / (1012 - Po) = e^(-35/30) = e^(-0.8333) = 0.3114

That calculates out to a pressure around 904mb at that time. If a smaller RMW was used, the pressure would be lower.
Last edited by CrazyC83 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#294 Postby cycloneye » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:38 pm

First daylight image in Tarawa shows flooding but at least in this area the wind was not too strong.Hopefully no lose of life occurred.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#295 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:47 pm

At Tafea landfall, I would estimate the intensity at 150 kt, which I think is the peak intensity as well.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#296 Postby cycloneye » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:06 pm

44 dead so far.RIP their souls.

http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/live-updat ... tu-6254922

There are unconfirmed reports that 44 people had died in Penama province in the north-east of Vanuata, the UNOCHA said in a statement on Friday, according to Reuters.

There have been unconfirmed reports of deaths in Vanuatu after tropical cyclone Pam turned towards the capital, making landfall overnight.

The category five storm, with winds over 250 km/h, made a direct hit on several small islands and the eye passed over the eastern side of Efate island, home to capital city Port Vila.

It appears communications are down and there's fears for the 250,000 residents of Vanuatu, many of whom live in basic structures.

Sune Gudnitz from the United Nations office for the Co-ordination of Humanitarian Affairs warns it appears to be a "worst case scenario" for the island nation after the storm took a turn towards the southern islands.

He told the ABC that very few structures would be able to withstand the category five cyclone and they were expecting the total destruction of many buildings and homes.

The Vanuatu National Disaster office says red alerts are in place for Torba, Sanma, Penama, Malampa, Shefa and Tafea provinces.

Heavy to torrential rainfalls and flooding, including flash flooding are expected over low lying areas. Landslides are also expected.

All Vanuatu airports remain closed. ONE News understands there are plans to send aid flights in tomorrow.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#297 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:07 pm

SE eyewall crossing Tanna Island now. Doesn't look to have weakened much at all.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#298 Postby Alyono » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:21 pm

unconfirmed reports of deaths. Lets wait for more info
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#299 Postby 1900hurricane » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:21 pm

:uarrow: I believe that 135 kt is the highest winds ever assigned to a storm by Nadi. After a quick check on Wiki, Zoe was the previous highest with 130 kt.
0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

euro6208
Category 5
Category 5

#300 Postby euro6208 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:09 pm

So sad to see that deaths occured...Vanuatu is home to some of the friendliest people on earth!
0 likes   

Return to “2015”