ATL: FRED- Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

dexterlabio
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: FRED- Tropical Storm - Discussion

#161 Postby dexterlabio » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:52 am

That's what I thought that Vince holds that record, and even managed to go all the way to Portugal if I'm not mistaken...
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: FRED- Tropical Storm - Discussion

#162 Postby Hammy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:14 am

06L FRED 150831 0600 15.3N 22.5W ATL 70 989
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheEuropean
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re:

#163 Postby TheEuropean » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:23 am

HurricaneHunter914 wrote:History being made here. First time a TC of hurricane intensity is approaching the Cape Verde islands.

Sorry, but I think it's only the first time we know that a TC of hurricane intensity is approaching the Cape Verde islands. There is a little difference.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#164 Postby LarryWx » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:30 am

Folks,
Fred makes history as it becomes a hurricane the furthest east of any known (on record) within the MDR at 22.5W! This beats the old record of 23.0 set in 1900 with storm #3:

http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atl ... /track.gif

Congrats to Fred! This is the second quite interesting Fred in a row.

However, Fred didn't break the record for furthest east known tropical storm within the MDR. Whereas Fred became a TS at 18.9W, #3 of 1900 as well as TS #6 of 1988 both became a TS at 18.5W:

0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#165 Postby Hammy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:36 am

LarryWx wrote:FHowever, Fred didn't break the record for furthest east known tropical storm within the MDR. Whereas Fred became a TS at 18.9W, #3 of 1900 as well as TS #6 of 1988 both became a TS at 18.5W

I would say quite the feat nonetheless considering how dead many (myself included) assumed the MDR would be this year.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Re:

#166 Postby LarryWx » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:44 am

Hammy wrote:
LarryWx wrote:FHowever, Fred didn't break the record for furthest east known tropical storm within the MDR. Whereas Fred became a TS at 18.9W, #3 of 1900 as well as TS #6 of 1988 both became a TS at 18.5W

I would say quite the feat nonetheless considering how dead many (myself included) assumed the MDR would be this year.

Indeed! Huge feat! Also, major kudos to the GFS and Euro, which both had many runs predicting Fred to form so close to African if I'm not mistaken.
Last edited by LarryWx on Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SouthernBreeze
Category 1
Category 1

#167 Postby SouthernBreeze » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:08 am

With forecasts predicting considerable weakening a few days out, would this not make it more favorable for Fred or remnants of him to drift westward?
0 likes   

Chris_in_Tampa
Category 5
Category 5

Re:

#168 Postby Chris_in_Tampa » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:27 am

LarryWx wrote:Folks,
Fred makes history as it becomes a hurricane the furthest east of any known (on record) within the MDR at 22.5W! This beats the old record of 23.0 set in 1900 with storm #3:

However, Fred didn't break the record for furthest east known tropical storm within the MDR. Whereas Fred became a TS at 18.9W, #3 of 1900 as well as TS #6 of 1988 both became a TS at 18.5W:

The best track database, which eventually will be official, has been updated to reflect Fred having tropical storm force winds at 18.4W. (ftp://ftp.nhc.noaa.gov/atcf/btk/bal062015.dat)

Edit: Here is the link about that:
"SPECIAL NOTES: Best track data is verified post season, so expect revisions after the season."
ftp://ftp.nhc.noaa.gov/atcf/README
Last edited by Chris_in_Tampa on Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Chris_in_Tampa
Category 5
Category 5

#169 Postby Chris_in_Tampa » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:29 am

All tracks from the best track database where cyclones with hurricane force winds existed, though not necessarily when they were actually called hurricanes. It includes whatever information comes from the best track database, including post tropical points in the North Atlantic. (Any 65 knot or higher wind in the best track database is included here.) It does not include anywhere along a path where something was a tropical storm or less. All images include Fred through 06Z on August 31st.

Wide view:
http://imgur.com/q1IeG8f

Eastern Atlantic, with latitude and longitude:
http://imgur.com/A13HRXx

Closeup on near Cape Verde:
http://imgur.com/twxP33V

Edit: Better layering of wind category colors.
Last edited by Chris_in_Tampa on Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

leanne_uk
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#170 Postby leanne_uk » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:51 am

Just had news from my friend who is in Santa Maria.... There is currently around 4 inches on the ground in her hotel and the winds are intensifying as expected.

They still have power at the minute but she doesn't know how much longer it will hold out. I am hoping that she is able to get pics over to me once things settle down and I shall post them accordingly.

The worrying thing is that no one at all seems to have been prepared for this.... I know that getting a hurricane is pretty much unheard of but even yesterday when my friend tried to speak to the staff about what was happening, she was told not to worry it will probably just rain for a bit and be a bit windy.
I'm just glad I was at least able to give her a proper heads up and she knew what she needed to do.
Last edited by leanne_uk on Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

Freddy Doing the Monday Rounds

#171 Postby Cyclenall » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:54 am

FireRat wrote:something that popped in my mind just now, not saying this will happen at all but imagine if this became FRED and went on to hit land, especially Florida. The last was WILMA, that would be some Flintstones irony :lol:

Seriously though, I think this one is worth watching as we near the Peak of Hurricane season.

The Fred and Wilma thing is funny, that would have truly been something else. It was close to happening if you think just another named storm before Erika formed and then Erika (would be Fred) following the NHC forecast.

wxmann_91 wrote:There's an exactly 0% chance of this making it to the US, so we'll have to wait till 2021 for that. :P

Its not 0%.

Brent wrote:Last Fred was mightly similar :P

*Images Cut*

That's creepy, these aren't even common tracks or scenarios either. In fact they're very rare. Jimena was similar to the last one in the Epac too strength wise.

CrazyC83 wrote:Could this actually rapidly intensify into a strong, even major, hurricane?

For some reason that idea popped into my mind when I woke up yesterday.

Doesn't seem like there is any news coming from the Cape Verdes. This hurricane is hitting during daylight.
0 likes   

StormTracker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#172 Postby StormTracker » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:55 am

euro6208 wrote:
HurricaneHunter914 wrote:
Latest pass showing a rare sight this far east in the Atlantic. History being made here. First time a TC of hurricane intensity is approaching the Cape Verde islands.

Kinda sad only 9 pages for a historic system whereas Erika got up to 160 pages...I know location is important but i would be excited for both not just one...

How long were we tracking Erika? Fred blew up as soon as he jumped in the water! I don't think it's the case of "excited" or not in this situation...ST
0 likes   
Something's wrong when you regret, things that haven't happened yet!

leanne_uk
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#173 Postby leanne_uk » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:58 am

Well it ain't just outside the hotel that is struggling with surface water.... my friend now has around 2 inches in her room and it's rising :cry:
0 likes   

leanne_uk
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#174 Postby leanne_uk » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:18 am

In the last message she sent she told me that the hotel was moving everyone upto the 2nd floor.... not had anything from her since but she did say that the power was struggling.

spiral wrote:
leanne_uk wrote:Well it ain't just outside the hotel that is struggling with surface water.... my friend now has around 2 inches in her room and it's rising :cry:

Tell your friend if they can go upstairs from inside the hotel asap.
0 likes   

leanne_uk
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re:

#175 Postby leanne_uk » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:28 am

She is in the Riu Garopa

spiral wrote:Any idea of the hotel name.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: FRED- Hurricane - Discussion

#176 Postby tolakram » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:31 am

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#177 Postby 1900hurricane » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:47 am

Any idea if it is surge flooding or freshwater runoff?
0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#178 Postby LarryWx » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:50 am

Chris_in_Tampa wrote:
LarryWx wrote:Folks,

The best track database, which eventually will be official, has been updated to reflect Fred having tropical storm force winds at 18.4W. (ftp://ftp.nhc.noaa.gov/atcf/btk/bal062015.dat)

Edit: Here is the link about that:
"SPECIAL NOTES: Best track data is verified post season, so expect revisions after the season."
ftp://ftp.nhc.noaa.gov/atcf/README

Thanks for this info. So, it looks like Fred will officially become also furthest east known TS in MDR by 0.1 degree if this best track will become official!
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#179 Postby 1900hurricane » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:50 am

A few hour old SSMIS pass showed a pretty decent eyewall.

0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#180 Postby AutoPenalti » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:04 am

It looks to have peaked for now.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

Return to “2015”