ATL: GRACE - Renmants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: GRACE - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#141 Postby chaser1 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:52 pm

Emmett_Brown wrote:Another storm in an el nino year, destined to be kept in check by shear if current NHC forecasts are correct. If this was a neutral or nina year, this would have probably been something to watch out for. Always prepare though, you never know. My guess is this will be an open wave by the time it makes it to the Caribbean.

:eek: I have to respectfully disagree Emmett. I'm sure you've heard the football expression "a game of inches". Well, thus far a couple of hurricanes have approached the Caribbean. One resulted in at least 20 deaths (in Dominica). Could have easily been more, or could have very easily caused a broader impact through other neighboring islands. What about Hurricane Danny? What if the upper level wind shear that decoupled Danny were perhaps a couple hundred miles further west and a Cat. 3 just happened to plow into Puerto Rico. Sure, there might had been little left of Danny to eventually impact the Conus but at least for the Eastern Caribbean, i think everyone (Ninel included) would have to admit that Grace and other potential storms this year, are absolutely "something to watch for". As was pointed out by another poster earlier today "all storms eventually die". What's relevant here is beyond whether a hurricane might make it all the way to impact some point of our own particular interest.
Last edited by chaser1 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#142 Postby chaser1 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:54 pm

:uarrow: As a side-note to the above, Larry had just posted "So, the record high during the satellite era's 6 developing strong+ El Nino seasons was only 2 til this season's 4! So, 2015 is clearly on its own with regard to storms that formed E of 50W. Furthermore, there's no telling that we're done at 4 being that it is only 9/6."

I think it would be short sighted for any of us to so easily assume what this season will or will not bring.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ninel conde
Category 5
Category 5

#143 Postby ninel conde » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:00 pm

chaser1 wrote:
Emmett_Brown wrote:Another storm in an el nino year, destined to be kept in check by shear if current NHC forecasts are correct. If this was a neutral or nina year, this would have probably been something to watch out for. Always prepare though, you never know. My guess is this will be an open wave by the time it makes it to the Caribbean.

:eek: I have to respectfully disagree Emmett. I'm sure you've heard the football expression "a game of inches". Well, thus far a couple of hurricanes have approached the Caribbean. One resulted in at least 20 deaths (in Dominica). Could have easily been more, or could have very easily caused a broader impact through other neighboring islands. What about Hurricane Danny? What if the upper level wind shear that decoupled Danny were perhaps a couple hundred miles further west and a Cat. 3 just happened to plow into Puerto Rico. Sure, there might had been little left of Danny to eventually impact the Conus but at least for the Eastern Caribbean, i think everyone (Ninel included) would have to admit that Grace and other potential storms this year, are absolutely "something to watch for". As was pointed out by another poster earlier today "all storms eventually die". What's relevant here is beyond whether a hurricane might make it all the way to impact some point of our own particular interest.

duplicate
Last edited by ninel conde on Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

ninel conde
Category 5
Category 5

#144 Postby ninel conde » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:00 pm

chaser1 wrote:

Yes, they do indeed all die, but will be the 4th in a row that couldnt survive in the MDR. Always alot of "what if's". What if we had the same conditions that existed in 96/99? We dont, and thats why no hurricanes west of 60 and the non major streak amazingly continues for another season.
0 likes   

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#145 Postby floridasun78 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:04 pm

i hope this don't bring hype as Erika to Florida could be call cry wolf two
0 likes   

WPBWeather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#146 Postby WPBWeather » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:07 pm

floridasun78 wrote:i hope this don't bring hype as Erika to Florida could be call cry wolf two

All in all, I'd rather hype than hurricane force winds, if I have to choose between those two. :D
0 likes   

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#147 Postby floridasun78 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:14 pm

WPBWeather wrote:
floridasun78 wrote:i hope this don't bring hype as Erika to Florida could be call cry wolf two

All in all, I'd rather hype than hurricane force winds, if I have to choose between those two. :D

here in miami channel were doing hourly report too early when it likely hit shear wall and die out
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#148 Postby tolakram » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:41 pm

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#149 Postby cycloneye » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:53 pm

Impressive view of GRACE from the ISS.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

YoshiMike
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#150 Postby YoshiMike » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:54 pm

Wow that looks impressive. Beautiful picture too
0 likes   
Okay guys, just because I want to BE a meteorologist, want to go to school for meteorology, DOES NOT MAKE ME A METEOROLOGIST. Anything I say about tropical weather is either me learning something new, or is just an opinion and nothing more than that. I can almost guarantee you that I will be wrong about pretty much everything.

YoshiMike
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#151 Postby YoshiMike » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:55 pm

Well impressive on like how fast it formed off of the coast of Africa I guess. Idk just looks impressive to me
0 likes   
Okay guys, just because I want to BE a meteorologist, want to go to school for meteorology, DOES NOT MAKE ME A METEOROLOGIST. Anything I say about tropical weather is either me learning something new, or is just an opinion and nothing more than that. I can almost guarantee you that I will be wrong about pretty much everything.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#152 Postby chaser1 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:09 pm

cycloneye wrote:Impressive view of GRACE from the ISS.

Beautiful outflow depiction
0 likes   

Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5

#153 Postby Gustywind » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:09 pm

:uarrow:
Very impressive! Also nice banding well-defined curved bands over both the northern and southern portions of the circulation.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#154 Postby Hammy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:12 pm

ninel conde wrote:Yes, they do indeed all die, but will be the 4th in a row that couldnt survive in the MDR.

I'm not sure what definition of MDR you're using but Grace has not dissipated yet, nor would it be the fourth in a row not to survive it, considering the actual MDR stops at 20N and Fred remained a TS to 22N, and here it is at 26N with advisories still being written.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#155 Postby chaser1 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:13 pm

Really nice loop. Wow..., just look at the umbilical cord from Grace, feed into the next system's inflow. Might this be... "next up"?
0 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#156 Postby OuterBanker » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:26 pm

Lacks convection, but probably the best looking symmetry of any storm yet. Impressed. Gfs still killing it around DR/Haiti. Euro still puzzling, still doesn't see Grace as far as I can tell. Crazy cousin entertaining as usual, but not close to reality. Fun to watch.
0 likes   

terstorm1012
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#157 Postby terstorm1012 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:28 pm

Grace looks great from space. Very visually appealing storm. It will be interesting to see what happens to it over the next few days.
0 likes   
my posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just my opinion (to which I welcome challenges!) and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#158 Postby gatorcane » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:05 pm

Latest image as the sun goes down with High Tower firing:

0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#159 Postby ConvergenceZone » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:08 pm

Just curious, does anyone know if there have been storms in the past where the models never developed the storm, but it became a hurricane? I know there's probably nothing documented, but wondering if anyone has ever seen that before?
0 likes   

pgoss11
Category 2
Category 2

#160 Postby pgoss11 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:09 pm

Grace looks impressive today. It's fun to track these storms of recent, especially since I thought there wouldn't be any storms at all to track in the MDR with El Nino in place. Even though the odds are against any storm making it all the way across..it's a bonus this El Nino year just to be able to track something.
0 likes   

Return to “2015”