ATL: MATTHEW - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

WilmingtonSandbar
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: MATTHEW - Models

#7501 Postby WilmingtonSandbar » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:16 am

SouthernBreeze wrote::uarrow: interesting way to put it, do you have any insight as to strength when Matt gets to Carolinas?

I try not to guess, and base my posts on information culled from the models and various reports. Right now, there just isn't enough info to make that call. It is going to depend on land interaction with Florida tonight and tomorrow.
0 likes   
Diana X2 (look it up), Bertha, Fran, Bonnie, Floyd, Dennis, Charley, Ophelia, Ernesto, Irene, Matthew, And Florence

SouthernBreeze
Category 1
Category 1

#7502 Postby SouthernBreeze » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:18 am

Thanks, pretty much my thoughts too. Will see what Euro says, but probably just have to resign to wait & see mode
0 likes   
My posts are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. It's just my opinion and not backed by sound meteorological data, and NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

grazed by many - most wind damage: Hugo (pre-cellphone days!) & most water: Floyd

SouthernBreeze
Category 1
Category 1

#7503 Postby SouthernBreeze » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:21 am

The most accurate model there is - the wait & see model :wink:
3 likes   
My posts are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. It's just my opinion and not backed by sound meteorological data, and NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

grazed by many - most wind damage: Hugo (pre-cellphone days!) & most water: Floyd

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#7504 Postby Hammy » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:05 am

Matthew doesn't retain tropical characteristics on latest GFS run.

0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

seahawkjd
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7505 Postby seahawkjd » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:16 am

Hammy wrote:Matthew doesn't retain tropical characteristics on latest GFS run.

It also diverges some again from the NHC forcast with the turn south taking place quite a bit further out. At least I think thats what I'm seeing, I really stayed up too late last night.
0 likes   
Gloria, Hugo, Emily, Bertha, Bonnie, Dennis (twice), Fran, Floyd, Isabel, Irene, Arthur, Matthew, Florence, Dorian (and many tropical storms and nor'easters).

one wolf
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#7506 Postby one wolf » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:54 am

Okay so we see all this banter of strengthening trough, memories of Floyd, and even some newbie "guaranteeing" OBX impact. And yet NHC sticks with their guns in the 5am forecast. In Carteret County, we wring our hands but don't know what to do... should we prepare for a full hurricane and floodwaters or not?

0 likes   

Ken711
Category 5
Category 5

#7507 Postby Ken711 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:04 am

one wolf wrote:Okay so we see all this banter of strengthening trough, memories of Floyd, and even some newbie "guaranteeing" OBX impact. And yet NHC sticks with their guns in the 5am forecast. In Carteret County, we wring our hands but don't know what to do... should we prepare for a full hurricane and floodwaters or not?

NHC always knows best.
1 likes   

Vdogg
Category 2
Category 2

#7508 Postby Vdogg » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:04 am

one wolf wrote:Okay so we see all this banter of strengthening trough, memories of Floyd, and even some newbie "guaranteeing" OBX impact. And yet NHC sticks with their guns in the 5am forecast. In Carteret County, we wring our hands but don't know what to do... should we prepare for a full hurricane and floodwaters or not?

You're likely to see TS conditions and heavy rain even with the NHC's current track. You're simply closer to the storm and that's what mets are calling for "now" with no track changes. The 6z gfs shows at least this much. If you're prone to tidal flooding you don't have to be on top of the storm for that to have an impact. You know your area better than we do so act accordingly.
0 likes   

Vdogg
Category 2
Category 2

#7509 Postby Vdogg » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:11 am

Wow, that cold front out west is really starting to dig now.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GSSLOOPS/ecwv.html
0 likes   

Vdogg
Category 2
Category 2

#7510 Postby Vdogg » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:15 am

https://www.facebook.com/JeffLawsonWvec ... 37610589:0

0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#7511 Postby tolakram » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:27 am

0Z ECMWF on WB full res this just misses the coast near Charleston.

2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#7512 Postby tolakram » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:28 am

6z GFS
0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

invest man
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#7513 Postby invest man » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:07 am

From Carteret County area. Forecast for at least TS force winds as far north as OBX. I font understand why at least TS watch not extened to Hatteras! Anyone have an idea?
1 likes   

Vdogg
Category 2
Category 2

#7514 Postby Vdogg » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:49 am

invest man wrote:From Carteret County area. Forecast for at least TS force winds as far north as OBX. I font understand why at least TS watch not extened to Hatteras! Anyone have an idea?
We should probably take this to the discussion thread. My guess is with the multiple shifts in the track even over the past day, NHC wants to sure of the path before pulling the trigger on anymore warnings.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#7515 Postby tolakram » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:12 am

HRRR now keeps Matthew offshore after numerous runs last night showing landfall.

2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

Vdogg
Category 2
Category 2

#7516 Postby Vdogg » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:53 am

http://wavy.com/blog/2016/10/07/blog-ma ... s-weekend/
"This was the track from this morning, but the models have been trending more northward. They take it a little closer to Hatteras by Sunday. So I think the track will shift a little northward later today. This does have some impacts on our forecast. The wind shouldn’t be bad here on Saturday. However, the wind will probably be pretty strong across the region by Sunday morning. I think we could see some gusts above 60mph down towards Hatteras. Here is the wind forecast for that time."

I will be reposting this in the discussion thread.
0 likes   

Vdogg
Category 2
Category 2

#7517 Postby Vdogg » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:14 am

NHC official track has shifted north. TS watches or warnings now issued for the entire North Carolina coast.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic ... l#contents
0 likes   

GlennOBX
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#7518 Postby GlennOBX » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:28 am

Vdogg wrote:NHC official track has shifted north. TS watches or warnings now issued for the entire North Carolina coast.

The NC coast is under a TS warning from Dare County to the SC border. Not a watch. Also, Currituck County, the northeasternmost county in NC, is not yet included in the TS warning.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#7519 Postby Sanibel » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:36 am

Edit: Wrong thread.
0 likes   

Vdogg
Category 2
Category 2

#7520 Postby Vdogg » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:39 am

GlennOBX wrote:
Vdogg wrote:NHC official track has shifted north. TS watches or warnings now issued for the entire North Carolina coast.

The NC coast is under a TS warning from Dare County to the SC border. Not a watch. Also, Currituck County, the northeasternmost county in NC, is not yet included in the TS warning.

You're right, that's a warning for most of NC coast. Weird that they didn't extend a watch from Currituck up to Hampton Roads, perhaps they will later today. Actually, the southern NC coast is under a Hurricane Warning.

Last edited by Vdogg on Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 likes   

Return to “2016”