ATL: INVEST 92L - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 92L - Models

#81 Postby LarryWx » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:54 pm

gatorcane wrote:
SouthFLTropics wrote:99L Part Deux...Euro is not impressed...
http://i68.tinypic.com/25zl4xi.png

I think it is pretty clear the 9KM resolution or whatever they did to the EURO this year has caused serious issues with the reliability of this model as far as tropical forecasting is concerned, not to mention we are in the long-range.

Take TD9 as an example, how does it suddenly blow it up to a hurricane this run in the Gulf when it had something so much weaker in the 00Z run? The EURO is not the same as it once was.

I think part of the problem is that the Euro, since about Fiona of 2010 when its resolution was increased, has had a bullish bias at the surface for TC's. This has especially been the case north of 25N. This means a lot of Gulf storms are way overstrengthened on the stronger runs. Then the mode get back to reality and has much weaker runs. Sometimes it will go back and forth.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SouthFLTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#82 Postby SouthFLTropics » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:54 pm

BigB0882 wrote:Not that I am trusting the Euro at the moment but it does not appear to be feeling any weakness left behind by TD9. Is that because the Euro keeps this very weak?

I would guess that it is because it keeps it weak. Anything with any strength would of headed north into the weakness left by 99L/TD9. The way the models are performing I'm not apt to trust them past 48 hours, much less 9 to 10 days.
1 likes   
Fourth Generation Floridian...With lots of storm knowledge passed down from my elders...

Personal Storm History: David 79, Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05, Matthew 16, Irma 17

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#83 Postby LarryWx » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:56 pm

Models such as the Euro can be trusted even less than normal for 92L because they have TD 9 becoming a H in the GOM and we know that could easily be wrong with TD 9 continuing to struggle. Therefore, what the Euro and others do with TD 9 could easily be way off as far as its influence on the steering flow and atmospheric conditions for 92L in the 6-10 day period is concerned.
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#84 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:56 pm

BigB0882 wrote:Not that I am trusting the Euro at the moment but it does not appear to be feeling any weakness left behind by TD9. Is that because the Euro keeps this very weak?

Yeah that's why, I don't trust the Euro either but the 500mb pattern on this and GFS seems to be hinting at a weakness in 8-10 days.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#85 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:44 pm

See the models are back to a New England landfall or close call. Like I said in the pre-92l thread, a few days ago, the models are all over the place with this one. :lol:
0 likes   

bg1
Category 1
Category 1

#86 Postby bg1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:07 pm

LarryWx wrote:Models such as the Euro can be trusted even less than normal for 92L because they have TD 9 becoming a H in the GOM and we know that could easily be wrong with TD 9 continuing to struggle.

You know conditions are awful in the Gulf when you can easily interpret this just as "becoming Hermine". :P
2 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#87 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:26 pm

18z GFS trending with the 12z Euro solution of no development.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#88 Postby chaser1 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:27 pm

LarryWx wrote:
gatorcane wrote:
SouthFLTropics wrote:99L Part Deux...Euro is not impressed...
http://i68.tinypic.com/25zl4xi.png

I think it is pretty clear the 9KM resolution or whatever they did to the EURO this year has caused serious issues with the reliability of this model as far as tropical forecasting is concerned, not to mention we are in the long-range.

Take TD9 as an example, how does it suddenly blow it up to a hurricane this run in the Gulf when it had something so much weaker in the 00Z run? The EURO is not the same as it once was.

I think part of the problem is that the Euro, since about Fiona of 2010 when its resolution was increased, has had a bullish bias at the surface for TC's. This has especially been the case north of 25N. This means a lot of Gulf storms are way overstrengthened on the stronger runs. Then the mode get back to reality and has much weaker runs. Sometimes it will go back and forth.

:uarrow: So unbelievably irritating though! One would think that the changes and tweaks to the model would have been identified to the extent that some minor tweaking might be made to resolve some of these issues. Then again, I"m not sure how that could be done unless a "shadow" model were simultaneously run so both "Euro1" and "Euro2" models could be reviewed and/or used.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#89 Postby SoupBone » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:33 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:18z GFS trending with the 12z Euro solution of no development.

Seriously? Is that why the floater was dropped? No more invest?
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#90 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:51 pm

SoupBone wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:18z GFS trending with the 12z Euro solution of no development.

Seriously? Is that why the floater was dropped? No more invest?

Yep, at most this may be a 99L redux in my opinion and we know how fun that was to track. :lol: :roll:
1 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

ATL: Ex INVEST 92L - Discussion

#91 Postby toad strangler » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:30 pm

Very distinct trend of weakening what was a vigorously modeled wave by the big two.

The 18z GFS sends a weak storm into the big islands which nearly do it in before an even weaker version gets scooted off fish style into the mid Atlantic abyss.

The 12z Euro with a similar track and just on the N side of the big islands and then ejects a nearly dead wave into the FL straits area.

Last edited by toad strangler on Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: Ex INVEST 92L - Models

#92 Postby blp » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:00 pm

The UKMET is back on board today. As well as the Navgem and CMC. Interesting how we saw the waxing and waning in the models with 99l and I think we will see the same here. I expect GFS and Euro to bring this back again in the Bahamas.
2 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#93 Postby toad strangler » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:23 pm

0z GFS with more weak sauce through 144 hours. Looking to skirt just N of the big islands on a WNW track. Just strange to see at near peak season.

0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#94 Postby toad strangler » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:28 pm

And ..... POOF

0 likes   

SouthFLTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#95 Postby SouthFLTropics » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:39 pm

toad strangler wrote:And ..... POOF

No love at all for 92L from the models...after their performance on the cyclogenesis of 99L though I'm not putting much faith in model runs that far out in time.
0 likes   
Fourth Generation Floridian...With lots of storm knowledge passed down from my elders...

Personal Storm History: David 79, Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05, Matthew 16, Irma 17

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#96 Postby toad strangler » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:40 pm

Still a moist signature there at 222 way out there hours but WOW look at that wall of DRY to the NW

0 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#97 Postby WeatherEmperor » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:06 am

Looks like the models did a flip flop. A few days ago...it was only the GFS and Euro showing development. Maybe the Ukmet showed it a couple times or so. The Canadian and Nogaps showed nothing. Fast forward to this morning. The Gfs and Euro show basically nothing...but the Canadian and Nogaps show development. I think the Ukmet shows a very weak low near PR in 144hrs? Can't post images right now. Sorry :(
1 likes   

CYCLONE MIKE
Category 5
Category 5

#98 Postby CYCLONE MIKE » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:39 am

My how times have changed. Watching a depression struggle to organize in one of the prime locations for over a week and now a wave that all the models had deemed the "big one" traverses the entire atlantic without developing, all at peak season.
1 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

PTrackerLA
Category 5
Category 5

#99 Postby PTrackerLA » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:50 am

There's quite a few Euro ensembles on the 00z run that blow this up to a significant storm in the GOM or off the SE coast past day 10. Definitely can't write the system off but we'll see what the models show again in a few days.
1 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#100 Postby LarryWx » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:23 am

The 12Z GFS is another very weak run with just a wave that gives Luis and company some rain in PR on 9/5 followed by a move WNW to the far SE Bahamas at hour 162.
1 likes   

Return to “2016”