Moderator: S2k Moderators

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: COLIN - Tropical Storm - Discussion

#981 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:16 pm

Looks like rain from Colin is about to move into Coastal portions of SE FL! :D

0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

caneman
Category 5
Category 5

#982 Postby caneman » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:21 pm

psyclone wrote:Just looking at the visible satellite loop...you can see the back edge of the dense cloud cover quickly pivoting eastward. I would not be shocked if we're able to see the sunset this evening. there's at least a decent possibility barring another convective blow up.
not sure about your sunset hopes, it keeps back filling :D
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#983 Postby jlauderdal » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:21 pm

StormTracker wrote:If we're lucky, we'll get a sprinkle or two down here! I was hoping for some good rain for my lawn & landscaping. Oh well, time to break out the sprinklers(AGAIN)!

be patient, the setup is looking good for later this week
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#984 Postby jlauderdal » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:24 pm

ObsessedMiami wrote:
AdamFirst wrote:
jlauderdal wrote:Sunny, breezy dp 75 in FLL, no rain in sight

Our rain is coming. It's pushing inland right now. It'll probably be in the Dade and Broward Metro by rush hour. Have fun on the roads in South Florida this evening

at least this line looks like it might just graze the metro area. Seems like a dry spell after this line.

Southeast Floridians,

There is a decent chance of higher totals later this week than anyone saw with Colin, this has been modeled now for several days and its on track...i know its been dry but that appears to be changing.
0 likes   

Spoomsister
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#985 Postby Spoomsister » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:37 pm

Are the higher rain chances later in the week due to the TD in Mexico at the moment?
0 likes   

johngaltfla
Category 5
Category 5

#986 Postby johngaltfla » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:44 pm

HurricaneBelle wrote:Seeing that too:

That's the one that got us. Lost power for 30 minutes, some small sheds knocked down, small roofs flying around, and wow do I have a lot of large branches to clean up. Sigh.
0 likes   

sammy126
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#987 Postby sammy126 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:48 pm

HI, I have a question. I live in Sarasota county Florida. Why is colin less intense then Debby 2012. With debby we got a lot more wind. Is it the track or the speed of movement.
0 likes   

johngaltfla
Category 5
Category 5

#988 Postby johngaltfla » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:52 pm

sammy126 wrote:HI, I have a question. I live in Sarasota county Florida. Why is colin less intense then Debby 2012. With debby we got a lot more wind. Is it the track or the speed of movement.

Debby was a lot more organized. Colin was a broad low with little intensification and not as concentrated and moving NNE as opposed to Debby moving E to ENE.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#989 Postby Sanibel » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:55 pm

Rain break. More bands in Gulf.
0 likes   

BobHarlem
Category 5
Category 5

#990 Postby BobHarlem » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:56 pm

The rain is all the way from the Gulf to North Carolina now, and SC/NC may get a lot more than they were expecting. Colin's causing everyone headaches.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#991 Postby Steve » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:35 pm

For historical purposes, a line will be drawn on a map stating there was a TS that hit N FL in 2016. Center looks pretty close to the coast and depending on angle of entry, somewhere between Wakulla and Dixie Counties will be where that line is drawn. Joe B was talking about it making a run for strength on the other side and showed gfdl with some gusts to hurricane force. I guess depending on how close it is to the coast will determine how bad it is for coastal GA/SC/NC tomorrow. I think the winds in this type of system would continue to be east of the CoC, but sometimes you can have the atmosphere wrung out of rainfall (or snowfall in those months) along the edge of those fronts on the western side of the circulation.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#992 Postby tolakram » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:00 pm

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

pgoss11
Category 2
Category 2

#993 Postby pgoss11 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:08 pm

Also a little flair up of convection around the COC
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#994 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:21 pm

Steve wrote:For historical purposes, a line will be drawn on a map stating there was a TS that hit N FL in 2016. Center looks pretty close to the coast and depending on angle of entry, somewhere between Wakulla and Dixie Counties will be where that line is drawn. Joe B was talking about it making a run for strength on the other side and showed gfdl with some gusts to hurricane force. I guess depending on how close it is to the coast will determine how bad it is for coastal GA/SC/NC tomorrow. I think the winds in this type of system would continue to be east of the CoC, but sometimes you can have the atmosphere wrung out of rainfall (or snowfall in those months) along the edge of those fronts on the western side of the circulation.

Very good observations. Visible satelitte imagery is showing that the naked COC is just about to make landfall on Dixie County in the heart of the Florida Big Bend region. There is a significant band setting up on radar and rotating up inland from the Gulf coast region north of Tampa to up to the mouth of the Suwannee River. This is the band I am watching this evening as this may impact Northeast Florida later tonight as Colin moves overvthe area.

The SE ATL coast will see some tropical storm winds and decent surf tomorrow as Colin moves on to the northeast So much will depend on just where Colin' s proximity to the coast will be early on Tuesday. If the system emerges off the GA/SC coast and stays off shore , there is a chance he could take advantage very briefly of the warm Gulf Stream ssts and develop into a stronger cyclone before transitioning extratropical in about 36-48 hours.

Colin bought a mess of weather to us across the Florida peninsula. Yeah shear wreaked havoc over Colin, but the large gyre still bought a lot of heavy rain, tornadoes and power outages to many across the peninsula. Colin may not have been your textbook looking cyclone, but he still caused enough problems. Colin isno dud I can assure you.
Last edited by northjaxpro on Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

SeGaBob

#995 Postby SeGaBob » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:23 pm

Rain seems to be weakening. It may not rain much more here. 2.5 inches so far, which is less than the 4-8 NWS called for.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#996 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:30 pm

We have one more significant rainband which will rotate through Jax area in a couple of more hours SEGA Bob. We measured al.ost exactly the same in rainfall to tjis point. More rain tonight will likely push me over 3 inches for this event with Colin. Thankfully Colin is moving out quickly because we definitely would have been looking at much more substantial rainfall totals if he had been a slow mover, like Debby was in down here in June 2012.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

CYCLONE MIKE
Category 5
Category 5

#997 Postby CYCLONE MIKE » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:37 pm

Just got home from work and haven't watched any news today. Was wondering if the media outlets, especially twc, brought their Oscar like performances to hype this benign storm up to make it like a cat 2 hurricane making landfall.
Last edited by CYCLONE MIKE on Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

sponger
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#998 Postby sponger » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:41 pm

Good call today picking up the kids early and heading home. Beat the first rain and traffic by an hour. N FL is a mess! Storm2k pays another dividend!
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#999 Postby Steve » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:42 pm

Damn. The Ghost of Mickey Rat appearing at the end of that visible loop.
------------
Thanks jax. Y'all be safe over there. That last band might yet blow down some limbs.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1000 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:46 pm

They bought down three reporters, one in Clearwater Beach, one in Daytona Beach, and even one here at Jacksonville Beach. I seldom watch TWC, but I have been glacing off and on after getting home just to see what they were reporting on around the peninsula.

I have to say there is nothing much out there for them to see, other than talking to surfers out there, like the dude in Daytona Beach was just doing a few minutes ago. I agree with you Cyclone Mike in this instance. That is just plain non productive, non quality reporting.

The only value I have got watching the TWC this evening was from Dr. Greg Forbes and Bryan Norcross with their excellent analysis.
Last edited by northjaxpro on Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   

Return to “2016”