ATL: MATTHEW - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: ATL: INVEST 97L - Models

#21 Postby RL3AO » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:50 pm

If the environment is as favorable as many sources suggest, there is a chance the no cat 5 streak ends in 7 to 10 days.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#22 Postby Ntxw » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:50 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:I know this is crazy talk, but how do the conditions there compare to Patricia last year?

Shear overall in the Caribbean hasn't been bad at all. Waters are plenty warm, I wouldn't be so fast to compare it to a Patricia as it will require near perfect upper level conditions to go sub 900mb. We'll know if it goes big if it has very deep cold convection early on like Patricia and many other WPAC systems do before EI
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#23 Postby SFLcane » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:51 pm

Ok now Katrina 2 lol...you guys have fun.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:52 pm

RL3AO wrote:If the environment is as favorable as many sources suggest, there is a chance the no cat 5 streak ends in 7 to 10 days.

I know it's still far out but there could even be the potential of the 10+ U.S. Major Hurricane Drought coming to an end as well within the next 2 weeks.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:53 pm

right around Pensacola as a cat 4 hurricane

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.
0 likes   

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:55 pm

SFLcane wrote:Ok now Katrina 2 lol...you guys have fun.

Don't let other struggling storms throw your guard off. It only takes the perfect conditions for one storm in the right area to it turn into 2005 for a few days. Maybe not sub 900 but a major cannot be ruled out.
0 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:58 pm

We'll lets see what the Euro shows before going all in for a possible landfall point on maybe even Jamaica

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby LarryWx » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:58 pm

The 0Z GFS has it remain a hurricane quite far inland with it being so strong and moving fast. This run actually gives Atlanta something similar to Opal of 1995!
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#29 Postby Hurricaneman » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:00 am

The thing is if the GFS is right Atlanta would get more with this than they got with Opal

0 likes   

txwatcher91
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby txwatcher91 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:00 am

The GFS has done pretty good with TS development and strength this year. It's forecast many of the systems we've tracked to remain weak and heavily sheared while at times the Euro has been incredibly bullish. The fact that the GFS is now extremely bullish for this system and other models are in fairly good agreement also tells me we will probably have quite the system to deal with.
0 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#31 Postby Ivanhater » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:04 am

Another scary run for NW Florida
0 likes   
Michael

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#32 Postby Alyono » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:05 am

Ntxw wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:I know this is crazy talk, but how do the conditions there compare to Patricia last year?

Shear overall in the Caribbean hasn't been bad at all. Waters are plenty warm, I wouldn't be so fast to compare it to a Patricia as it will require near perfect upper level conditions to go sub 900mb. We'll know if it goes big if it has very deep cold convection early on like Patricia and many other WPAC systems do before EI

Patricia also had a massive trough aiding its extreme intensity
0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#33 Postby boca » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:06 am

I know it's way too early but I'm feeling good that S Fla will not have affects from this storm as per the models due to the ridging
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby LarryWx » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:08 am

Hurricaneman wrote:The thing is if the GFS is right Atlanta would get more with this than they got with Opal

On second look, I think you're right with the center going right over Atlanta as opposed to Opal's center being nearly 100 miles to the west. Opal was bad enough. Imagine if this track were to happen to verify (very unlikely, of course) how bad Atlanta and vicinity would get hit. Hammy (east of Atlanta) would get hit real hard being to the east of the center.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#35 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:08 am

boca wrote:I know it's way too early but I'm feeling good that S Fla will not have affects from this storm as per the models due to the ridging

As of now it looks like we have dodged another bullet. As of now..
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby LarryWx » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:11 am

boca wrote:I know it's way too early but I'm feeling good that S Fla will not have affects from this storm as per the models due to the ridging

Do NOT get complacent about this one. You/FL peninusla are far from being in the clear. We're talking probably at least 11 days out (still way out there) and sharp recurves in early Oct. are common.
0 likes   

Ivanhater
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#37 Postby Ivanhater » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:14 am

This is still so far out in the Atlantic...with the models this year..do we really think the next 8 days will show the same solution? I think not...
0 likes   
Michael

bamajammer4eva
Category 4
Category 4

#38 Postby bamajammer4eva » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:15 am

I KNOW this map is wrong but I'm curious as to why the GFS does this with tropical systems showing them not penetrating inland very much at all. By the time the storm is near Atlanta (12 hrs later), there are only 35kt winds associated with it.

0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#39 Postby wxmann_91 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:16 am

The friction from the land slows down the winds (compared to what they are over water). Then after the TC moves inland, the TC weakens and the pressure gradients relax, further decreasing wind speed.
0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#40 Postby boca » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:17 am

I was looking at the ridging and how the teleconnetics are in play from reading what Steve wrote and it does't seem a trough or low pressure will pull this north to South Florida, but around it to the panhandle.Thats my feeling.We are very lucky and I feel the streak will continue unless the ridge breaks down which I don't see happening.
0 likes   

Return to “2016”