MATTHEW: Local Observations,Local Statements ,Web Cams (Eastern Caribbean islands)

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
abajan
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 3217
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:10 am
Location: Rendezvous Hill, Christ Church, Barbados

Re: MATTHEW: Local Observations,Local Statements ,Web Cams (Eastern Caribbean islands)

#21 Postby abajan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:11 pm

msbee wrote:although we are well North of the center, it is getting quite windy and rainy here in St Maarten. Frequent squalls are coming in.
This is our web cam at the airport. You have to disable adblock to view.
http://www.mahobeachcam.com/

at the airport they are reporting Wind 21 mph from the East/Northeast with higher gusts

Be safe, those of you south of us

Thanks Barbara! I checked that web cam just in time to see much stronger winds, artificially generated by a plane taking off. :lol:
There was a car driving on the road which stopped and then reversed a bit. Soon afterward, you could see a huge blast of mist sweeping across the road, due to thrust generated by the plane's engines. Interesting listening to the control tower communicating with the planes too. (I was a student pilot years ago, but never got my private pilot license.)

Thanks for sharing.
0 likes   

User avatar
abajan
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 3217
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:10 am
Location: Rendezvous Hill, Christ Church, Barbados

Re: MATTHEW: Local Observations,Local Statements ,Web Cams (Eastern Caribbean islands)

#22 Postby abajan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:17 pm

Wow, we're getting some really heavy showers. It's already flooding in my area, as I'm sure it is in other parts of the island. If it continues like this throughout the night, we could have a major flooding situation on our hands.
0 likes   

User avatar
msbee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 2794
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:11 am
Location: St. Maarten

Re: MATTHEW: Local Observations,Local Statements ,Web Cams (Eastern Caribbean islands)

#23 Postby msbee » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:09 pm

abajan wrote:
msbee wrote:although we are well North of the center, it is getting quite windy and rainy here in St Maarten. Frequent squalls are coming in.
This is our web cam at the airport. You have to disable adblock to view.
http://www.mahobeachcam.com/

at the airport they are reporting Wind 21 mph from the East/Northeast with higher gusts

Be safe, those of you south of us

Thanks Barbara! I checked that web cam just in time to see much stronger winds, artificially generated by a plane taking off. :lol:
There was a car driving on the road which stopped and then reversed a bit. Soon afterward, you could see a huge blast of mist sweeping across the road, due to thrust generated by the plane's engines. Interesting listening to the control tower communicating with the planes too. (I was a student pilot years ago, but never got my private pilot license.)

Thanks for sharing.


t's a fun cam even when we are not having bad weather. hope everything is OK in Barbados.
0 likes   

chrisjslucia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:27 pm
Location: St Lucia

Re: MATTHEW: Local Observations,Local Statements ,Web Cams (Eastern Caribbean islands)

#24 Postby chrisjslucia » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:21 pm

Hi all, 7.20 pm local time and the wind is now gusting very strongly. The rain is pouring and we have had 5 to 6 inches today. Martinique Radar shows the same conditions from St Vincent through to the south of Dominica. It looks as if we have hours of this to come. Can some one, one day, explain why we always get the worst of this cra^ at night?
0 likes   

User avatar
abajan
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 3217
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:10 am
Location: Rendezvous Hill, Christ Church, Barbados

Re: MATTHEW: Local Observations,Local Statements ,Web Cams (Eastern Caribbean islands)

#25 Postby abajan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:31 pm

msbee wrote:
abajan wrote:
msbee wrote:although we are well North of the center, it is getting quite windy and rainy here in St Maarten. Frequent squalls are coming in.
This is our web cam at the airport. You have to disable adblock to view.
http://www.mahobeachcam.com/

at the airport they are reporting Wind 21 mph from the East/Northeast with higher gusts

Be safe, those of you south of us

Thanks Barbara! I checked that web cam just in time to see much stronger winds, artificially generated by a plane taking off. :lol:
There was a car driving on the road which stopped and then reversed a bit. Soon afterward, you could see a huge blast of mist sweeping across the road, due to thrust generated by the plane's engines. Interesting listening to the control tower communicating with the planes too. (I was a student pilot years ago, but never got my private pilot license.)

Thanks for sharing.


t's a fun cam even when we are not having bad weather. hope everything is OK in Barbados.

The weather has calmed for the time being (although, there's now some distant lightning and thunder which is getting closer as I type), but officials announced several minutes ago that all schools will remain closed tomorrow, due to anticipated cleanup operations from flooding. Recon is reporting increased flight level winds. Have the winds strengthened in St Martin since your last post?
0 likes   

User avatar
msbee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 2794
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:11 am
Location: St. Maarten

Re: MATTHEW: Local Observations,Local Statements ,Web Cams (Eastern Caribbean islands)

#26 Postby msbee » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:06 pm

Abajan, things have calmed down in st maarten..
latest report from the airport at 23:00 UTC was Wind 17 mph from the East, varying between Northeast and East/Southeast
chrisjslucia, hang in there
0 likes   

User avatar
abajan
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 3217
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:10 am
Location: Rendezvous Hill, Christ Church, Barbados

Re: MATTHEW: Local Observations,Local Statements ,Web Cams (Eastern Caribbean islands)

#27 Postby abajan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:29 pm

Seems like this is finally over for Barbados. It's quiet: no lighting, thunder or rain and there's not much wind. Hopefully, it'll soon be over for all of you in the other islands too. I'm off to bed.

Good Night.
0 likes   

User avatar
cycloneye
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator
Posts: 110094
Age: 61
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:54 am
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Re: MATTHEW: Local Observations,Local Statements ,Web Cams (Eastern Caribbean islands)

#28 Postby cycloneye » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:52 am

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

chrisjslucia
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:27 pm
Location: St Lucia

Re: MATTHEW: Local Observations,Local Statements ,Web Cams (Eastern Caribbean islands)

#29 Postby chrisjslucia » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:29 am

Finally able to see the Windward islands again on Martinique radar, that seemed to take forever. Still can't see my usual view of Martinique but hopefully some good weather is on its way. Adieu Mathew. Good luck to all our neighbours as the storm approaches.
0 likes   

User avatar
Gustywind
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 12102
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:29 am
Location: Baie-Mahault, GUADELOUPE

Re: MATTHEW: Local Observations,Local Statements ,Web Cams (Eastern Caribbean islands)

#30 Postby Gustywind » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:14 pm

From the newspaper "FranceAntilles" Martinica.


:rarrow: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... edit-text=

40,000 customers still without electricity

Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 24:12


At 11 am, 40,000 customers were without power, on almost all towns of the territory.



Following interventions teams, 15,000 customers have been restored since this morning.


EDF Martinique recalled that should in no way to approach a cable grave? down due to electric shock. Useful contacts EDF Customer Service: 0596 59 22 00 and troubleshooting Service: 0810 333 972.

You can find all the information in real time on Facebook EDFenMartinique page and our Twitter @EDFenMartinique

To report a power supply anomaly, the Tweeter Flora wire (@Flora_Edf) is also available to customers with a real-time response by our customer service and will not saturate and telephone lines.

0 likes   

User avatar
msbee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 2794
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:11 am
Location: St. Maarten

Re: MATTHEW: Local Observations,Local Statements ,Web Cams (Eastern Caribbean islands)

#31 Postby msbee » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:06 pm

flooding in Curacao posted on Facebook by Meteorological Office Curacao

Image

Image
0 likes   

User avatar
abajan
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 3217
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:10 am
Location: Rendezvous Hill, Christ Church, Barbados

Re: MATTHEW: Local Observations,Local Statements ,Web Cams (Eastern Caribbean islands)

#32 Postby abajan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:20 pm

msbee wrote:flooding in Curacao posted on Facebook by Meteorological Office Curacao

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 6353_o.jpg

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=587C4F9B

Thanks for sharing. As soon as I googled "Curacao Weather" several minutes ago and saw that they were getting scattered thunderstorms. I feared that would happen, because they (along with Aruba and Bonaire) don't normally get much rain at all and as such, their infrastructure wasn't built to handle large amounts of water.
0 likes   

User avatar
msbee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Posts: 2794
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 10:11 am
Location: St. Maarten

Re: MATTHEW: Local Observations,Local Statements ,Web Cams (Eastern Caribbean islands)

#33 Postby msbee » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:18 pm

abajan, you are right. They cannot take much rain at all
0 likes   

zeehag
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression
Posts: 79
Age: 69
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:49 pm
Location: mazatlan,sinaloa, mexico, fixing patricia's mess.
Contact:

Re: MATTHEW: Local Observations,Local Statements ,Web Cams (Eastern Caribbean islands)

#34 Postby zeehag » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:45 pm

this morning a friend who resides in margarita island, venezuela reported to me that there had been 4 deaths as of this morning in venezuelas state named vargas, on the coast, resulting from matthew. no details.
1 likes   
life is an adventure meant to be LIVED!!!

http://www.sksolitarybird.com

User avatar
cycloneye
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator
Posts: 110094
Age: 61
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:54 am
Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Re: MATTHEW: Local Observations,Local Statements ,Web Cams (Eastern Caribbean islands)

#35 Postby cycloneye » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:16 am

The tail of Matthew will affect Puerto Rico later on Sunday thru Monday bringing heavy rains.Between 2-4 inches can be expected with isolated areas with more.

Image
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Edconnect
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave
Posts: 1
Age: 58
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:47 pm

Re: MATTHEW: Local Observations,Local Statements ,Web Cams (Eastern Caribbean islands)

#36 Postby Edconnect » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:13 pm

I live in Central FL in Apopka and I made it through the Hurricane Matthew fine and happy all the other people made it through fine also in the surrounding areas. The Highest wind gust for me was 37mph but I did get a lot of rain .. I think it was like 5"
0 likes   

User avatar
abajan
Category 5
Category 5
Posts: 3217
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2003 5:10 am
Location: Rendezvous Hill, Christ Church, Barbados

Re: MATTHEW: Local Observations,Local Statements ,Web Cams (Eastern Caribbean islands)

#37 Postby abajan » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:14 pm

Edconnect wrote:I live in Central FL in Apopka and I made it through the Hurricane Matthew fine and happy all the other people made it through fine also in the surrounding areas. The Highest wind gust for me was 37mph but I did get a lot of rain .. I think it was like 5"

Glad to hear that. I have family who live in Apopka (Theo and Joyce Agard) but hadn't got a chance to check in on them.
0 likes   


Return to “2016”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests