Chance for Tropical Formation over the NE Atlantic

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

Chance for Tropical Formation over the NE Atlantic

#1 Postby 1900hurricane » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:04 pm

The NE Atlantic low is interesting. It's located beneath a cold core cutoff low, giving it the benefit of having abnormally cold temps aloft to work with, somewhat like Alex in January. I doubt it'll develop before the cutoff rejoins the main flow in 36 hours or so, exposing it to blasting mid-latitude westerlies, but it's not impossible that we could see a shallow subtropical storm, especially with the system already showing signs of shallow surface-based convection.

0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Chance for Tropical Formation over the NE Atlantic

#2 Postby chaser1 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:09 am

Honestly, this is the first time looking at these satellite pic's and photos. Crazy fascinating because one just doesnt see W. Europe in any way shape or form as a point for tropical genesis. Quite the contrary, much less substantiating a truly tropical system from the Central N. Atlantic to even maintain its tropical characteristics. That all said, these pics seem to bear out what did appear to be at least a sub-tropical development that would at minimum support a tropical storm. I wonder if post season review might later designate this system as such? Very interesting.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

johngaltfla
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Chance for Tropical Formation over the NE Atlantic

#3 Postby johngaltfla » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:00 pm

Guys, thanks for this thread. Those storm satellite photos are fascinating and I do wonder if the NHC classifies this or is this a European function. Since it does not impact North America, I would presume the latter.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”