Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#101 Postby tolakram » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:26 pm

Saved RGB loop

2 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#102 Postby Hurricaneman » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:29 pm

Looks like I see some inflow around 12n 36w which means this is organizing as far as track I think something in between the GFS and Euro
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#103 Postby chaser1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:31 pm

Emmett_Brown wrote:I'm loving the fact that the models can't get a handle on the genesis of this system; it means there is nothing for us to do except sit back and watch it develop on satellite. Feels like old times. I'm going to get out a paper tracking chart and my weather radio to celebrate!

Gotta love a "throw-back" kinda year!
3 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Michele B
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#104 Postby Michele B » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:31 pm

"Satellite pictures and upper-air data indicate that Hurricane Andrew formed from a tropical wave that crossed from the west coast of Africa to the tropical North Atlantic Ocean on 14 August 1992. The wave moved westward at about 20 kt, steered by a swift and deep easterly current on the south side of an area of high pressure. The wave passed to the south of the Cape Verde Islands on the following day. At that point, meteorologists at the National Hurricane Center (NHC) Tropical Satellite Analysis and Forecast (TSAF) unit and the Synoptic Analysis Branch (SAB) of the National Environmental Satellite Data and Information Service (NESDIS) found the wave sufficiently well-organized to begin classifying the intensity of the system using the Dvorak (1984) analysis technique." From: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/1992andrew.html

Interesting dates, huh?

This one reminds me of Andrew - A LOT!
1 likes   
Cleo - 1964, Betsy - 1965, David - 1979, Andrew - 1992, Charlie (Francis, Ivan, Jeanne) - 2004, Irma - 2017, Ian - 2022

Emmett_Brown
Category 5
Category 5

#105 Postby Emmett_Brown » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:39 pm

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/897142119361642498

I guess the same could be said for the Euro!
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#106 Postby Alyono » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:40 pm

Emmett_Brown wrote: https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/897142119361642498

except most every model is now showing the same...
1 likes   

SouthFLTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#107 Postby SouthFLTropics » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:52 pm

Alyono wrote:

Yeah, looks like he may have pulled the trigger a little too quick on that Tweet. With that said, I still think 91L has a good shot at development as it heads further west.
0 likes   
Fourth Generation Floridian...With lots of storm knowledge passed down from my elders...

Personal Storm History: David 79, Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05, Matthew 16, Irma 17

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#108 Postby Steve » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:11 pm

He said he was all in with development again yesterday or Saturday.
0 likes   

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#109 Postby otowntiger » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:13 pm

Alyono wrote:

LOL! There is no trusting the models this year it seems. Although I still think the rest of August will be less active than normal and that may continue thru the season. Just my gut and 2 cents.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#110 Postby Alyono » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:18 pm

Steve wrote:He said he was all in with development again yesterday or Saturday.

Ventrice emphasizes Kelvin Waves FAR FAR too much. It is understandable, though, as that was his dissertation topic. He wants to see his theory validated in the real world in a forecasting sense.

However, I am reminded of the old QBO relationship that said a westerly QBO means more intense Atlantic hurricanes. Turned out, Gray did not have a large enough sample size. Won't be able to make this conclusion on Ventrice's theory for maybe 20 more years when we get a larger sample size
0 likes   

nativefloridian
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#111 Postby nativefloridian » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:24 pm

:double:
Michele B wrote:"Satellite pictures and upper-air data indicate that Hurricane Andrew formed from a tropical wave that crossed from the west coast of Africa to the tropical North Atlantic Ocean on 14 August 1992. The wave moved westward at about 20 kt, steered by a swift and deep easterly current on the south side of an area of high pressure. The wave passed to the south of the Cape Verde Islands on the following day. At that point, meteorologists at the National Hurricane Center (NHC) Tropical Satellite Analysis and Forecast (TSAF) unit and the Synoptic Analysis Branch (SAB) of the National Environmental Satellite Data and Information Service (NESDIS) found the wave sufficiently well-organized to begin classifying the intensity of the system using the Dvorak (1984) analysis technique." From: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/1992andrew.html

Interesting dates, huh?

This one reminds me of Andrew - A LOT!
0 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#112 Postby RL3AO » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:25 pm

Alyono wrote:

Ventrice emphasizes Kelvin Waves FAR FAR too much. It is understandable, though, as that was his dissertation topic. He wants to see his theory validated in the real world in a forecasting sense.

I think there's something there. After a CCKW passage, you see low-level westerly anomalies and upper-level easterly anomalies. But, if those anomalies are only a couple m/s, it probably won't be enough to turn an unfavorable environment favorable. Over a large sample size, I suspect we will see a slightly higher likelihood of genesis following a Kelvin wave, but it's not the golden answer. The same with the MJO. There is some signal of increased genesis when MJO filtered negative VP anomalies are over the Atlantic. Maybe it nudges net favorability slightly to more likely, but if there are other large scale negatives...well you can't polish a turd.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#113 Postby gatorcane » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:29 pm

It appears the "center" (13N, 35W) is gaining some latitude while the entire trough moves west:

Last edited by gatorcane on Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#114 Postby Alyono » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:30 pm

RL3AO wrote:
Alyono wrote:

I think there's something there. After a CCKW passage, you see low-level westerly anomalies and upper-level easterly anomalies. But, if those anomalies are only a couple m/s, it probably won't be enough to turn an unfavorable environment favorable. Over a large sample size, I suspect we will see a slightly higher likelihood of genesis following a Kelvin wave, but it's not the golden answer. The same with the MJO. There is some signal of increased genesis when MJO filtered negative VP anomalies are over the Atlantic. Maybe it nudges net favorability slightly to more likely, but if there are other large scale negatives...well you can't polish a turd.

Heard today that there still may be too much SAL and dry air to allow for anything in the Tropical Atlantic.

I will make note that the three eastern MDR systems we have had so far all had extremely favorable localized dynamics. Bret and Don formed from an unusually strong monsoon trough adding vorticity, while TD Four formed from an Indian-Ocean type westerly wind burst. We nearly saw a twin cyclone off of Brazil south of the equator with that burst. Given that with those ridiculously favorable localized dynamics, these systems lasted for such a short period of time should have been raising red flags about the tropical Atlantic, instead of saying that means an active season is coming. I myself missed that
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#115 Postby wxman57 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:32 pm

This disturbance, like Franklin before it, will be struggling against dry air until it moves west of 70W. That means low development chances east of the Caribbean. If it can reach the NW Caribbean or pass north of the Caribbean and head toward the Bahamas, then it may have a good chance of developing.

Here's a NASA forecast valid 18Z today. Look near 13N/35W.

2 likes   

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#116 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:40 pm

wxman57 wrote:This disturbance, like Franklin before it, will be struggling against dry air until it moves west of 70W. That means low development chances east of the Caribbean. If it can reach the NW Caribbean or pass north of the Caribbean and head toward the Bahamas, then it may have a good chance of developing.

http://weather.graphics/nasa/2017081312 ... ntic_6.png

Is that amount of dry air normal for this time of the year?
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#117 Postby SoupBone » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:40 pm

wxman57 wrote:This disturbance, like Franklin before it, will be struggling against dry air until it moves west of 70W. That means low development chances east of the Caribbean. If it can reach the NW Caribbean or pass north of the Caribbean and head toward the Bahamas, then it may have a good chance of developing.

[img]/img]

Bahamas? So I guess you're not on board the Franklin path train yet? BTW, when's the first Texas cold front? :lol:
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#118 Postby wxman57 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:42 pm

SoupBone wrote:

[img]/img]

Bahamas? So I guess you're not on board the Franklin path train yet? BTW, when's the first Texas cold front? :lol:

No, it's not normal, though there was a stronger SAL outbreak 3-4 years ago in August.
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#119 Postby wxman57 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:43 pm

SoupBone wrote:

[img]/img]

I wouldn't rule out a track toward the Bahamas, but I'd forecast a Caribbean track today.
1 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#120 Postby Alyono » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:03 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:

http://weather.graphics/nasa/2017081312 ... ntic_6.png

Is that amount of dry air normal for this time of the year?

That is 2013 territory there for the tropical Atlantic

HOWEVER, the western part of the basin, including the subtropical western Atlantic, appears to be significantly more favorable than 2013
1 likes   

Return to “2017”