ATL: MARIA - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Vdogg
Category 2
Category 2

Re: ATL: MARIA - Models

#1561 Postby Vdogg » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:19 am

Amazingly enough, both the Euro and GFS seem to have come back full circle to their 10 day solution that they gave on September 16th. Impressive if this verifies.

Check out @DaDaBuh's Tweet: https://twitter.com/DaDaBuh/status/9115 ... 34657?s=09
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1562 Postby Alyono » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:45 pm

HMON is back to 74W
1 likes   

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#1563 Postby stormreader » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:01 pm

Vdogg wrote:Amazingly enough, both the Euro and GFS seem to have come back full circle to their 10 day solution that they gave on September 16th. Impressive if this verifies.

Check out @DaDaBuh's Tweet: https://twitter.com/DaDaBuh/status/9115 ... 34657?s=09

Not all that unusual, though. One trend I look for is what models say at the 10 day or so timeframe. Often they will totally readjust and eventual landfall is nowhere near that point. Case closed. Upper pattern totally different than previously assumed. However, if after drifting away from that early run, you see the models begin to come back toward that point, then I take that as a strong possibility that the extreme long range solution was on to something, and that there's a decent chance that models will find their way back to that point.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#1564 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:02 pm

Significant west shift through 48hrs. on today’s 12z Euro verses yesterday’s 12z run.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1565 Postby Alyono » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:02 pm

EC a bit east of the 0Z run so far
1 likes   

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#1566 Postby stormreader » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:03 pm

stormreader wrote:
Vdogg wrote:Amazingly enough, both the Euro and GFS seem to have come back full circle to their 10 day solution that they gave on September 16th. Impressive if this verifies.

Not all that unusual, though. One trend I look for is what models say at the 10 day or so timeframe. Often they will totally readjust and eventual landfall is nowhere near that point. Case closed. Upper pattern totally different than previously assumed. However, if after drifting away from that early run, you see the models begin to come back toward that point, then I take that as a strong possibility that the extreme long range solution was on to something, and that there's a decent chance that models will find their way back to that point.

That said, I don't think we're quite at the consensus stage just yet, for a close miss. Watch runs next 24-36 hours, do think there is a reasonable chance for that west component and a landfall in the Pamlico Sound area. Will see.
0 likes   

invest man
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1567 Postby invest man » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:04 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:Significant west shift through 48hrs. on today’s 12z Euro verses yesterday’s 12z run.

Looks to fast at 48hrs
0 likes   

invest man
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#1568 Postby invest man » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:09 pm

I think Euro will trend n then OTS after 72 hrs let's see!
0 likes   

Vdogg
Category 2
Category 2

#1569 Postby Vdogg » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:13 pm

invest man wrote:I think Euro will trend n then OTS after 72 hrs let's see!

If it's faster I'd think it would come further north first before being kicked OTS.
0 likes   

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#1570 Postby stormreader » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:13 pm

invest man wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:Significant west shift through 48hrs. on today’s 12z Euro verses yesterday’s 12z run.

Looks to fast at 48hrs

Quicker approach to coast, I think is bad. Will get there early, nudge up against high, feel some of the influences over the Northern Gom, lower pressure there, too, and tend to nudge west. Would spend a little extra time along the coast of NC (guessing Pamlico Sound area), before being swept offshore. A slower approach gives more chances for just offshore. Quicker, in my opinion, increases chances for the west nudge and landfall.
1 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1571 Postby Alyono » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:24 pm

recurve. Significant east shift by about 100 miles
0 likes   

SENClander
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1572 Postby SENClander » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:52 pm

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Wilmington NC
1032 AM EDT Sat Sep 23 2017

.SYNOPSIS...
.SHORT TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT/...
As of 300 AM Saturday...Closed 500 mb high pressure centered
over Pennsylvania on Sunday will bridge across to the Bermuda
High on Monday. This "bridging" process is occurring earlier
and more strongly than models were thinking several days ago,
and this has led to a westward trend in the predicted path of
Hurricane Maria as it moves northward. Where over the past
several days the storm was expected to follow 70 or 71 degrees
longitude as it passed by the Carolina coast, we`re now thinking
73 or perhaps even 74 degrees longitude is more likely.

Cape Hatteras is a little more than 75 longitude.
1 likes   
Diana, Bertha, Fran, Bonnie, Floyd

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1573 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:03 pm

stormreader wrote:
Hybridstorm_November2001 wrote:I think the NE turn will be more gradual than that shown in earlier model runs, as the general trend seems to indicate. It may even occur after a stall.

I don't really think so, Hybrid. Check latest Euro ensemble. All show that the turn NE will be radical and abrupt. I think that is a dangerous sign for the NC coast. I think it increases the liklihood that the storm will carry with it a somewhat more westerly component (and a landfall in NC) before being picked up the the oncoming trough and suddenly pushed out to sea. In other words, the storm really won't feel much of any influence from the trough until late (after the predominant influence of stronger ridging has had its way with Maria) after she has likely been pushed very near to the coast. So I think that a landfall is actually going to continue to gain traction with the models, and we will see them begin to call for that landfall somewhere around Atlantic NC.

I remain skeptical of the sharp turn, but we shall see.
1 likes   

Vdogg
Category 2
Category 2

#1574 Postby Vdogg » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:19 pm

Hybridstorm_November2001 wrote:
stormreader wrote:
Hybridstorm_November2001 wrote:I think the NE turn will be more gradual than that shown in earlier model runs, as the general trend seems to indicate. It may even occur after a stall.

I don't really think so, Hybrid. Check latest Euro ensemble. All show that the turn NE will be radical and abrupt. I think that is a dangerous sign for the NC coast. I think it increases the liklihood that the storm will carry with it a somewhat more westerly component (and a landfall in NC) before being picked up the the oncoming trough and suddenly pushed out to sea. In other words, the storm really won't feel much of any influence from the trough until late (after the predominant influence of stronger ridging has had its way with Maria) after she has likely been pushed very near to the coast. So I think that a landfall is actually going to continue to gain traction with the models, and we will see them begin to call for that landfall somewhere around Atlantic NC.

I've seen a turn like that with storms that come up here before. It happens, not a lot, but it's not particularly uncommon either this time of year with the fronts that roll through.
1 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1575 Postby OuterBanker » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:21 pm

Alyono wrote:recurve. Significant east shift by about 100 miles

Yes, on the Euro. Let's see if GFS follows suit. Hope so.
3 likes   

capepoint
Category 1
Category 1

#1576 Postby capepoint » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:47 pm

Yeah, the last one that hit us here was supposed to turn at the last minute and go offshore. It finally turned after landfall.

stormreader wrote:

1 likes   
Ginger-(eye),Dennis,Diana,Kate,Gloria,Charley-(eye),Allison,Arthur,Bertha,Fran,Josephine,Bonnie,Earl,Dennis-(twice),Floyd, Isabel-(eye),Charley,Ophelia-(eyewall),Ernesto,Barry,Hanna,Irene-(eye),Arthur-(eye), Florence, Dorian, and countless depressions, storms, and nor'easters.

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1577 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:08 pm

Vdogg wrote:
stormreader wrote:

I've seen a turn like that with storms that come up here before. It happens, not a lot, but it's not particularly uncommon either this time of year with the fronts that roll through.

I still think there is a real danger of a more gradual turn and as a result, Maria sideswiping Cape Hatteras or at least getting very close to the area.
2 likes   

Vdogg
Category 2
Category 2

#1578 Postby Vdogg » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:43 pm

Vdogg wrote:

I still think there is a real danger of a more gradual turn and as a result, Maria sideswiping Cape Hatteras or at least getting very close to the area.

The danger is absolutely there, no doubt. I was just pointing out that these types of turns have happened up here before.
0 likes   

aperson
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1579 Postby aperson » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:46 pm

18z GFS west of 12z at tau=48

Looks like on this run Jose has marginally more effect on the ridge than 12z. dprog/dt on Jose weakening finally ending for GFS
0 likes   

Rail Dawg
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1580 Postby Rail Dawg » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:49 pm

Having just gone through Harvey here in Houston and then chasing Irma in Naples I would go into full prep mode for Maria.

Maria could easily be a Cat 3 landfall on the Outer Banks and then sit for a day before heading out to sea.

I took at least 150 people out of their homes here during the Harvey flood and most were only able to carry 1-2 bags out.

Be ready!
3 likes   
Although I have been a hurricane forecaster since 1980 that only means I've been wrong lots of times.

Return to “2017”