ATL: IRMA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 93L - Discussion

#41 Postby gatorcane » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Doesn't seem like it is moving much now, maybe will start gaining some latitude like the models show as it consolidates:

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis ... display=12
1 likes   

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#42 Postby GeneratorPower » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:52 pm

What is with the stationary storms lately? I mean, this is unusual. A tropical wave that stalls by the Cape Verde islands? Never seen that in 15 years of watching this stuff. This makes me think that steering currents are erratic and weak basin-wide. This could be real trouble for any storm that does develop.
1 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby AutoPenalti » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:55 pm

gatorcane wrote:Doesn't seem like it is moving much now, maybe will start gaining some latitude like the models show as it consolidates:

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis ... display=12

Seems to be moving just fine, I'd say around 5-10kts.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby KWT » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:09 pm

Models have been showing slow motion over the next 24hrs as the system rotates around and forms a main vortex further north around 14N near the CV islands.

Indeed there are already hints of circulation in the northern convective batch at the eastern end of the convection.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#45 Postby sma10 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:20 pm

And if the Euro is to be believed, once this consolidates in the next day, it's really off to the races maybe at close to 20mph over the next several days
0 likes   

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby KWT » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:29 pm

Also whilst I never take this seriously...it seems increasingly likely that PTC-10 doesn't make it, and if it doesn't...then 93L will be the 'I' named system, which for a time between 2003-2008 delivered some monsters!
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#47 Postby gatorcane » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:29 pm

KWT wrote:Also whilst I never take this seriously...it seems increasingly likely that PTC-10 doesn't make it, and if it doesn't...then 93L will be the 'I' named system, which for a time between 2003-2008 delivered some monsters!

Not to mention that name "Irma" sounds formidable and creepy in some ways! That name would be better suited for this invest given the bullish model guidance :eek:
0 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#48 Postby CyclonicFury » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:33 pm

KWT wrote:Also whilst I never take this seriously...it seems increasingly likely that PTC-10 doesn't make it, and if it doesn't...then 93L will be the 'I' named system, which for a time between 2003-2008 delivered some monsters!

More like 2003-13. Igor, Irene, Isaac, Ingrid were all somewhat significant.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

forecasterjack
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#49 Postby forecasterjack » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:59 pm

VERY concerned about this system. All lined up. Looking at ECMWF stuff from weather.us

Crazy moist mid levels: https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/28 ... 0000z.html
Diverging shear vectors, "negative wind shear": https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/28 ... 0000z.html

As for steering, I think the key is all in this loop: https://weather.us/satellite/1551-e-130 ... .html#play

bear with me lol. Recurving Typhoon in the WPAC (loop above) will pump latent heat into the high latitudes, creating a large PNA ridge. This means a large Eastern US trough. That means we can rule out the GOM (IMO). In weather, we work with zero sum systems. What goes down, must come up. This means that large E US trough means large Bermuda high. That should steer it far enough W (IMO) to put it very close to the east coast. Exactly how close will be ironed out over the next week and will determine exact track. For now though, I think it's inside Bermuda if not closer. Likely as a strong storm.
2 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#50 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:36 pm

8 PM TWO at 50%/80%

A tropical wave and associated low pressure area located a few
hundred miles southeast of the Cabo Verde Islands is producing
disorganized showers and thunderstorms. Environmental conditions
are conducive for development, and a tropical depression could form
within the next few days over the eastern Atlantic. The low is
forecast to move westward at 15 to 20 mph over the tropical Atlantic
during the next several days. Regardless of development, heavy rain
is possible over portions of the Cabo Verde Islands through
Wednesday.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...50 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...80 percent.

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby galaxy401 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:37 pm

Well with Ten moving out of the picture, looks like this might be the infamous I storm after all...

EDIT: I missed KWT's post about the same thing. Oops. :lol:
Last edited by galaxy401 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

smithtim
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#52 Postby smithtim » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:45 pm

forecasterjack wrote:VERY concerned about this system. All lined up. Looking at ECMWF stuff from weather.us

Diverging shear vectors, "negative wind shear": https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/28 ... 0000z.html

As for steering, I think the key is all in this loop: https://weather.us/satellite/1551-e-130 ... .html#play

bear with me lol. Recurving Typhoon in the WPAC (loop above) will pump latent heat into the high latitudes, creating a large PNA ridge. This means a large Eastern US trough. That means we can rule out the GOM (IMO). In weather, we work with zero sum systems. What goes down, must come up. This means that large E US trough means large Bermuda high. That should steer it far enough W (IMO) to put it very close to the east coast. Exactly how close will be ironed out over the next week and will determine exact track. For now though, I think it's inside Bermuda if not closer. Likely as a strong storm.

Interesting stuff thanks for sharing!

As I said in the prior thread in talking topics about this storm definitely looks serious and requiring keep eye on!!! And, been hearing nearly all models support makes me believe very high potential to develop, guess that's why NHC 80%
1 likes   
Disclaimer: while I am PhD who does research I'm rambling here so this post should be taken only for entertainment...use nhc.noaa.gov for official forecasts!

FLoridian living round here for a while: 2016 Matthew & 1998 Earl lived barrier island landfall. Also lived nearby/inland for: 2017 Irma & 2004 Frances,Jeanne & 1992 Andrew

forecasterjack
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#53 Postby forecasterjack » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:53 pm

smithtim wrote:
forecasterjack wrote:VERY concerned about this system. All lined up. Looking at ECMWF stuff from weather.us

Interesting stuff thanks for sharing!

As I said in the prior thread in talking topics about this storm definitely looks serious and requiring keep eye on!!! And, been hearing nearly all models support makes me believe very high potential to develop, guess that's why NHC 80%

Yep, very supportive environment (check out links if you haven't already) and a strong BH high makes steering setup very concerning. Will keep a close eye on it for sure!
1 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#54 Postby AutoPenalti » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:57 pm

Something tells me this may be a Florida threat, I hope I'm wrong though.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

forecasterjack
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#55 Postby forecasterjack » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:10 pm

AutoPenalti wrote:Something tells me this may be a Florida threat, I hope I'm wrong though.

definitely a possibility but I think it's probably farther north. NC and up based on the strong E US trough. Just an early hunch though :) everyone except GOM on the table IMO
1 likes   

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#56 Postby otowntiger » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:35 pm

forecasterjack wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:Something tells me this may be a Florida threat, I hope I'm wrong though.

definitely a possibility but I think it's probably farther north. NC and up based on the strong E US trough. Just an early hunch though :) everyone except GOM on the table IMO
yeah but this far there is no telling how strong the trough will be or frankly even IF it will be.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#57 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:41 pm

00z Best Track:

Maximum Winds: 25 kt Gusts: N/A
Minimum Central Pressure: 1008 mb
Environmental Pressure: 1011 mb
Radius of Circulation: 200 NM
Radius of Maximum Wind: 60 NM

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

CycloneCaptain
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#58 Postby CycloneCaptain » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:23 pm

forecasterjack wrote:

Agreed, I believe this to be a northern storm as well and not a Florida threat - however way too early to tell.
1 likes   
The predictions that you see above this signature may not be accurate and should not be taken as accurate weather advice. Please consult the NWS or the NHC for your weather needs.

southwest southerner

#59 Postby southwest southerner » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:42 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:

More like 2003-13. Igor, Irene, Isaac, Ingrid were all somewhat significant.

IKE
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#60 Postby cycloneye » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:00 pm

@StuOstro
Classic peak season swirl near Cabo Verde -- this one has "Tropical Cyclone Going to Develop" written all over it. #93L

https://twitter.com/StuOstro/status/902337163005751298

0 likes   

Return to “2017”