ATL: OPHELIA - Extratropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Vince_and_Grace_fan
Category 1
Category 1

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#21 Postby Vince_and_Grace_fan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:43 am

Convection is increasing again, and somewhat deeper than earlier, so it may be classifiable now. The ASCAT pass at 0:24 UTC showed some unflagged 35-40 kt vectors and a separated, compact center, so it possible a weak tropical storm now.

0 likes   

Vince_and_Grace_fan
Category 1
Category 1

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Models

#22 Postby Vince_and_Grace_fan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:29 am

Surpisingly the HWRF and HMON became very bullish and now both strengthen the cyclone into a hurricane in the second part of the next week.

Maybe the GEM will be right as consistently shows this since 2 days?

0 likes   

Vince_and_Grace_fan
Category 1
Category 1

#23 Postby Vince_and_Grace_fan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:16 am

Fresh ASCAT, it shows some 35+ kt vectors north of the center which are not unflagged.

0 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby CyclonicFury » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:47 am

If this had persistent convection around its center it would have been Ophelia.
0 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#25 Postby CrazyC83 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:25 pm

Stranger things have happened...remember Grace 2009, or Vince 2005?
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#26 Postby CrazyC83 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:32 pm

If this was close to land, I think we would have Tropical Storm Ophelia right now. But in the land of only fish, there is no need to force an upgrade on a marginal situation.
0 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby CyclonicFury » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:17 pm

The Euro and GFS no longer kill this quickly. The Euro actually strengthens it between 48 and 96 hours, and at 96 hours it shows 91L down to 1006 mb. The GFS is also trending stronger in the medium range. I think 91L has more time to develop than indicated in the NHC's TWOs, conditions don't really appear to change much based on the latest SHIPS guidance.
0 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby Kazmit » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:18 pm

Still 70%/70%. Not very far off from being named, but would probably be very short-lived if it were named anyway.
0 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#29 Postby Sciencerocks » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:07 pm

Being sheared or far away isn't good scientific reasoning not to upgrade. Upgrade Cindy that never had convection over its LLC and not something else isn't dealing with science. Science is based on concise theory and fact.
1 likes   

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#30 Postby Dean_175 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:02 pm

Sciencerocks wrote:Being sheared or far away isn't good scientific reasoning not to upgrade. Upgrade Cindy that never had convection over its LLC and not something else isn't dealing with science. Science is based on concise theory and fact.

Yeah but convection is very sparse. Still not well defined enough to upgrade-though it has had more convection near the LLC for the past few hours.

Convection is not deep nor organized enough for it to be classified as tropical, and it doesn't really have the presentation of a subtropical system either. It could still go either way, or not develop at all.
0 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby CyclonicFury » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:38 pm

Convection beginning to increase in the past few frames. In my opinion this should be Ophelia now, but NHC is likely waiting for convective persistence.
1 likes   

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#32 Postby Dean_175 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:50 pm

If they don't declare it at 2am, they will likely reduce the probability of formation.

It has a shallow warm core and is producing around 40-45kt in the NW quadrant-- the shower activity is just not well defined-though may have become slightly more organized tonight. It is a system that is very borderline.

EDIT: In the past 3 -5 hours, convection has become much better defined. I think we could see Tropical Storm Ophelia at the next update at 8am--and I do think tropical vs. subtropical given the satellite presentation (possibly showing the beginning of a CDO), distance from center of max winds, and lack of a well defined upper level low, even though thermal wind analysis using (the previous) GFS run shows shallow warm core.
Last edited by Dean_175 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#33 Postby EquusStorm » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:21 am

Yup... this latest convective burst could be the tipping point for this. I imagine they would make sure it lasts for a few hours before pulling the trigger, but the 2am TWO should at least make note of this recent improvement. That surface low has been quite vigorous and persistent, and it'd be nice to see it get a name if it can hold on, haha. I'm quite fond of these late season, far-flung baroclinic transition sub/tropical cyclones, myself.
0 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#34 Postby Dean_175 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:26 am

Dean_175 wrote:If they don't declare it at 2am, they will likely reduce the probability of formation.

It has a shallow warm core and is producing around 40-45kt in the NW quadrant-- the shower activity is just not well defined-though may have become slightly more organized tonight. It is a system that is very borderline.

EDIT: In the past 3 -5 hours, convection has become much better defined. I think we could see Tropical Storm Ophelia at the next update at 8am--and I do think tropical vs. subtropical given the satellite presentation (possibly showing the beginning of a CDO), distance from center of max winds, and lack of a well defined upper level low, even though thermal wind analysis using (the previous) GFS run shows shallow warm core.

Actually they increased to 80 percent.

It sounds like they are waiting for the convection to continue before upgrading.

well-defined low pressure system located over the subtropical
Atlantic Ocean about 800 miles southwest of the Azores is producing
winds to near gale force. Although the low is being affected by
strong upper-level winds, shower and thunderstorm activity has been
persisting near and to the east of the center during the past
several hours. If this activity continues, a tropical or
subtropical cyclone could form later today. The low is forecast
to drift northward today and then move slowly toward the
east-southeast through the middle of the week. Additional
information on this system can be found in high seas forecasts
issued by the National Weather Service.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...high...80 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...80 percent.
0 likes   

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#35 Postby Dean_175 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:43 am

Yes^^

The very latest GFS run (00Z 10-09) has it sticking around even longer than the last. Showing a path that would be very interesting (if it verifies)- GFS moves it in a full and slow circle, towards the SE , and then slowly to the NW again. That would depend on what happens with it's interaction with a (model) frontal system that would influence that region of the Atlantic late in the week---the old GFS run has it possibly sheared apart and degenerating into an open trough, the new run has it interacting with it- but then pushed south again by the Azores high and re-intensifying.
0 likes   

bob rulz
Category 5
Category 5

#36 Postby bob rulz » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:02 am

Would be surprised if this wasn't Ophelia at 5am. Looks better than it has at any point.
0 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#37 Postby EquusStorm » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:42 am

That convective burst appears to not only be a good bit more persistent than the last few, but now almost directly over the LLC, with additional development to the SW on the last frame. It honestly looks like a very compact little CDO, with a near circular appearance and cyclonic turning becoming evident. It should meet the criterion for a classified system if the current convective coverage persists until the next advisory package time at 5AM. Upper level winds have certainly increased but on the shear map and from what I can see on satellite, they aren't explicitly prohibitive of this right now.

Last edited by EquusStorm on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#38 Postby Dean_175 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:44 am

EquusStorm wrote:That convective burst appears to not only be a good bit more persistent than the last few, but now almost directly over the LLC, with additional development to the SW on the last frame. It honestly looks like a very compact little CDO, with a near circular appearance and cyclonic turning becoming evident. Despite the strong upper level winds now, it should meet the criterion for a classified system if the current convective coverage persists until the next advisory package time at 5AM.

Yes,

and does anyone have any idea what actually caused the convection to suddenly flare over the LLC?

The SSD has finally listed it on their tropical products page -- with a Dvorak T number....it is considered a T1.0 (normally would indicate winds of 30mph or lower--but scatterometry shows winds of 40-45kt)---but this is due to it being the first given T number for the system.

This (Dvorak classification) along with the statement below indicates they are thinking it is tropical vs subtropical.

"REMARKS...INVEST HAS TAKEN ON A TROPICAL APPEARANCE AND THE PREVIOUSLY
EXPOSED WELL DEFINED CENTER HAS MOVED UNDERNEATH THE CONVECTION. DT OF
2.0 IS BASED ON TIGHTLY DEFINED LL CLOUD LINES AND A CENTER UNDERNEATH A
SMALL COLD OVERCAST. MET IS 1.5 AND PT IS 2.0. FT IS BASED ON CONSTRAINTS
THAT LIMIT THE FT OF THE FIRST TROPICAL CLASSIFICATION TO A 1.0. "
0 likes   

talkon
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#39 Postby talkon » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:17 am

The latest BT now has Seventeen, but the strength is reduced to 30 knots and it's still a LO.

AL, 17, 2017100906, , BEST, 0, 309N, 400W, 30, 1008, LO, 34, NEQ, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1015, 180, 30, 0, 0, L, 0, , 0, 0, SEVENTEEN, M, 0, , 0, 0, 0, 0, genesis-num, 036, TRANSITIONED, alC12017 to al172017,
0 likes   
DISCLAIMER: I am not a meteorologist. Any posts I made, unless copied from some official agency, are only my opinion and is unofficial and often exaggerated. Please refer to your official RSMC for official products and warnings.

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#40 Postby Sciencerocks » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:59 am

With ascat showing 35-40 knt winds...I'd say that is the intensity they should set it.
0 likes   

Return to “2017”