ATL: FLORENCE - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Highteeld
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: FLORENCE - Models

#141 Postby Highteeld » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:59 pm

Both the Euro and the GFS are shifting west. What an ugly trend we are seeing right now... reminds me so much of what happened with Irma last year.
0 likes   
Very useful information on the Dvorak Technique --

https://severe.worldweather.wmo.int/TCF ... kBeven.pdf

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#142 Postby Hurricaneman » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:04 pm

Looks like the Euro would be a NorthCarolina/Virginia Capes to New England/Long Island track, and as a major I would think which could be something the NEUS hasn’t seen wind wise since 1954 and since the waters are much warmer than normal you wouldn’t get the normal weakening but less weakening which if the Euro is right the eastern seaboard from South Carolina to Nova Scotia will have to monitor the progress of Florence for the next week to 10 days
0 likes   

Highteeld
Category 5
Category 5

#143 Postby Highteeld » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:05 pm

A very strong storm, too.
0 likes   
Very useful information on the Dvorak Technique --

https://severe.worldweather.wmo.int/TCF ... kBeven.pdf

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#144 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:06 pm

galaxy401 wrote:Yeesh that is way too close for comfort. Canadian hit potienitally?

This would more than likely be a Chesapeake hit.

Windshield wiper effect in full force. Just going to have to wait and see. What's consistent is that through 120 hours Florence will struggle to survive.
Last edited by Hypercane_Kyle on Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#145 Postby cycloneye » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:06 pm

One word (Yikes)

3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#146 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:14 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:
galaxy401 wrote:Yeesh that is way too close for comfort. Canadian hit potienitally?

Windshield wiper effect in full force. Just going to have to wait and see. What's consistent is that through 120 hours Florence will struggle to survive.

Except the windshield wipers keep going left not right :wink:
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#147 Postby toad strangler » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:18 pm

ScottNAtlanta wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:

Well this has been the case and nothing at 500mb as shown this will stop now. So.... at this range it’s much more prudent to acknowledge the 500mb set up than it is specific storm location. Florence continues to signal trouble for the E Coast
Last edited by toad strangler on Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#148 Postby chaser1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:18 pm

LarryWx wrote:
chaser1 wrote:Boy, at least for the time being it's really gonna be an ebb and flow game of inches. So much dependent on how model run after run projection of the fluctuation of N.W. Atlantic mid level heights ultimately plays out. Timing really is everything as we watch model runs depicting each fairly quick moving short wave within the broader picture of a predominantly progressive zonal pattern over the Eastern CONUS. During so many past years we'd seem to have a long wave pattern that largely protected the Eastern Seaboard with each short wave trough that would drop into place there. Ah yes such were the Ninel Conde days.....

Ah yes, Ninel Conde aka "rainstorm", an entertaining poster in a unique way. Anyone know where she/he is these days?

My guess is somewhere in Northern Thailand maybe? That does generally appear to be where the deepest longwave troughing appears to be right now in the N. Hemisphere :cheesy:
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#149 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:24 pm

ScottNAtlanta wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:

We might want to take those wipers into service.
2 likes   

fox13weather
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#150 Postby fox13weather » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:26 pm

cycloneye wrote:One word (Yikes)

I'd have a nice early retirement if I got a dollar for every ten day forecast post that did not come close to verifying.
9 likes   

fox13weather
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#151 Postby fox13weather » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:28 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:

"More than likely a Chesapeake hit"?? Huh? While you are at it, can you nail it down to the county please.
3 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#152 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:30 pm

fox13weather wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:

"More than likely a Chesapeake hit"?? Huh? While you are at it, can you nail it down to the county please.

Must be really good at playing darts too :wink:
0 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#153 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:31 pm

fox13weather wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:

I mean the area of Chesapeake Bay if one were to extrapolate the motion out beyond 240 hours. And yes, I'm totally aware of the fact it's 240 hours out.
1 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#154 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:32 pm

ScottNAtlanta wrote:
fox13weather wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:

Must be really good at playing darts too :wink:

More often than not when I play darts they go into my toe instead of the target, so take that for what it's worth :lol:
3 likes   

fox13weather
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#155 Postby fox13weather » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:36 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:
fox13weather wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:

I mean the area of Chesapeake Bay if one were to extrapolate the motion out beyond 240 hours. And yes, I'm totally aware of the fact it's 240 hours out.

Which means a 288 day forecast?? Why even try? Any idea on the margin of error on a FIVE day NHC forecast that includes data from ALL models? And you are naming specific areas TEN TO TWELVE days out based on one model??
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#156 Postby Hammy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:37 pm

Something a bit troubling is that the Euro 216H point is very close to the earlier 240H location, which is some unsettling consistency that far out.
0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#157 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:38 pm

fox13weather wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:
fox13weather wrote:

Which means a 288 day forecast?? Why even try? Any idea on the margin of error on a FIVE day NHC forecast that includes data from ALL models? And you are naming specific areas TEN TO TWELVE days out based on one model??

I see your point and I apologize. It was rash of me to narrow down a specific area.
0 likes   

fox13weather
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#158 Postby fox13weather » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:41 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:
fox13weather wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:

I see your point and I apologize. It was rash of me to narrow down a specific area. Will delete the post.

Just understand the limits of our science. If the next few days zero in one on area then we raise an eyebrow. But it's way too far out to make any assumptions like that...
1 likes   

Siker
Category 4
Category 4

#159 Postby Siker » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:42 pm

fox13weather wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:
fox13weather wrote:

I don’t see any harm, he’s just saying where that specific model run looks headed. He’s definitely fully aware that 10 days out is complete guesswork.
4 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#160 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Siker wrote:
fox13weather wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:

I don’t see any harm, he’s just saying where that specific model run looks headed. He’s definitely fully aware that 10 days out is complete guesswork.

No, he has a fair point. To the untrained eye, me making statements like "Storm X is going here per this model!!" generates hype and fear and, subsequently, lessens the quality of discussion. I've been tracking storms for over 15 years, throwing darts around for a 240 hour forecast and claiming a hit is idiotic on my part.
3 likes   

Return to “2018”