ATL: FLORENCE - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

tropicwatch
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: FLORENCE - Hurricane - Discussion

#4421 Postby tropicwatch » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:27 pm

txwatcher91 wrote:Anyone know what happened to recon? Haven’t seen any updates in awhile on TT.

One should be taking off anytime now.
1 likes   
Tropicwatch

Agnes 72', Eloise 75, Elena 85', Kate 85', Charley 86', Florence 88', Beryl 94', Dean 95', Erin 95', Opal 95', Earl 98', Georges 98', Ivan 2004', Arlene 2005', Dennis 2005', Ida 2009' Debby 2012' Irma 2017' Michael 2018'

Chris_in_Tampa
Category 5
Category 5

#4422 Postby Chris_in_Tampa » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:28 pm

"A USGS gauge at New Bern, North Carolina, on the
Neuse River is recording 9.6 feet of inundation."

At 12am EDT it hit 10.41 feet.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nc/nwis/uv?c ... 2018-09-14

Here's Neuse River at Oriental, nearer to the coast (9.2 feet):
https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrogr ... gage=orln7
More rivers: https://water.weather.gov/ahps/region.php?state=nc
More tides on map: https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/map/i ... 20Carolina
More for Florence on single page: https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/quick ... e=Florence

"A NOAA buoy at Onslow Bay recently reported a minimum pressure of
960 mb (28.35 mb)."

Station 41064 - Onslow Bay Outer, NC:
https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page. ... 1064&uom=M
More buoys around storm: https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/radial_search ... t=A&time=3
4 likes   

MississippiWx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4423 Postby MississippiWx » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:29 pm

Radar is showing winds of 110mph just offshore of Wilmington in the eye wall.
3 likes   
This post is not an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of MississippiWx and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

edu2703
Category 1
Category 1

#4424 Postby edu2703 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:31 pm

4 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#4425 Postby artist » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:32 pm

0 likes   

HDGator
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4426 Postby HDGator » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:35 pm

MississippiWx wrote:Radar is showing winds of 110mph just offshore of Wilmington in the eye wall.

Massive convection building on the west eyewall as she approaches Wilmington. That's not good for landfall; it will mix down those higher winds and cause more damage.
0 likes   

meriland29
Category 2
Category 2

#4427 Postby meriland29 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:36 pm

That is extreme convection just wrapping around like a hot knife in butter..where did that come from???? Isn't she too close to land now?
0 likes   

lando
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4428 Postby lando » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:36 pm

any update on those people in okrafor or whatever that island was
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4429 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:37 pm

Unfortunately, Florence continues to intensify gradually and she has come essentially to a halt. The eyewall looks just about stationary at this hour. She is also about as large as I have seen her in her lifespan right now.

Florence just may be on the cusp of being major hurricane Cat 3hurricane once again.
Last edited by northjaxpro on Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

ncbird
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4430 Postby ncbird » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:37 pm

Pebbles wrote:As a longtime member of these forums I have a mother near Jacksonville, a sister at myrtle beach 3 blocks from the ocean (she refused to evacuate), and am watching New Bern which I called home when I had my 2nd child currently is being flooded... that now adult child happened to be with me in TX during Harvey when the airport shut down from flooding. No it wasn't a fun experience, but I'm taking serious offense to these Harvey vs Florence pissing matches. People's lives are at risk right now and homes are being washed away. Does it really matter to the people being impacted at this moment which one was a bigger/badder hurricane? Please take it to PM if you must. This argument is almost as silly as some peoples responses during Katrina alluding it was a nothing burger compared to forecasts before the levies breached...

Thank you Pebbles. You have no idea how correct you are. My yard is littered with shingles from my roof, several very large limbs have hit my house and winds are howling and we have a long way to go before this is over. Each storm is different, each storm does different damage compared to the outlay of the land it is impacting. Those of us who are living thru this right now careless about about what storm was bigger, stronger, had more rain or what ever you wish to compare. Out of respect for those of us who are being effected by THIS storm, please keep it until after the storm is over.
4 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#4431 Postby 1900hurricane » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:39 pm

1 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4432 Postby psyclone » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:40 pm

wow that Brandon Clement video is something. it's a water blizzard in New Bern.
1 likes   

Zarniwoop
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#4433 Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:40 pm

HDGator wrote:
MississippiWx wrote:Radar is showing winds of 110mph just offshore of Wilmington in the eye wall.

Massive convection building on the west eyewall as she approaches Wilmington. That's not good for landfall; it will mix down those higher winds and cause more damage.

Its been downgraded to a cat one. I think that she's out of time to intensify regardless of all the "holy crap, she's about to blow up" posts.

If an expert can tell me I'm wrong, please redirect. I hope like hell I'm not wrong. I've never head of a storm blowing up this close to land. I'm sure an expert has seen it.

At this point, what's important (unless I really don't understand what's going on), is that this storm has been pushing a lot of water, and is going to continue to push a lot of water inland for around 24 more hours.

For people well inland, its going to be the rain combined with TS winds that causes catastrophic power outages and damage. A 50 mph wind blowing for 24 hours is worse than a 100 mph wind blowing for one hour.

I'm not an expert and I wear broccoli on my head. Please refer to NHC products when making decisions.
0 likes   

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#4434 Postby eastcoastFL » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:40 pm

Gfs has her in the same spot 12 hours from now and she looks to be drifting right now on radar

0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Bayousaint
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#4435 Postby Bayousaint » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:41 pm

lando wrote:any update on those people in okrafor or whatever that island was

One of the residents was posting on Twitter before the storm today. I’m not sure how long he continued posting. Let me try to find the link- unless someone else has it handy.
0 likes   

sbcc
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4436 Postby sbcc » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:43 pm

I'd never heard of this - apparently FEMA uses the "Waffle House Index" to judge a storm's impact in a given area:

https://www.ehstoday.com/fire_emergencyresponse/disaster-planning/waffles-risk-management-0706 :flag:
0 likes   

MrStormX
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#4437 Postby MrStormX » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:44 pm

Ditto to what Pebbles said. I have been lurking on this site for ages, and this seems to happen every time a hurricane landfalls. That, and people complaining that the storm is not as strong as they thought it would be. It's like clockwork. With a few exceptions like Charlie and Harvey, most ATL hurricanes over the past two decades dropped a category or two at landfall, this is normal. Categories mean little, its just a number that can't adequately gauge much more than windspeeds in the eye.

In this case, the inland flooding threat that Florence is currently posing is extreme, and the surge we are seeing tonight in certain river channels is easily at major hurricane levels. That's the big takeaway, not some stupid number.
7 likes   

bob rulz
Category 5
Category 5

#4438 Postby bob rulz » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:44 pm

northjaxpro wrote:Unfortunately, Florence continues to intensify gradually and she has come essentially to a halt. The eyewall looks just about stationary at this hour. She is also about as large as I have seen her in her lifespan right now.

Florence just may be on the cusp of being major hurricane Cat 3hurricane once again.

This storm is not intensifying and in fact it continues to weaken as per recon, despite the satellite appearance. It's just too large and disorganized - and now likely too close to land - to intensify much if at all. However, gusts appear to be unusually high in comparison to sustained wind strength, not to mention that the hurricane-force winds are likely about evenly distributed in an 80-mile radius around the center. That in combination with the duration of wind events is going to make this worse than a lot of people think even as far as wind damage goes.
Last edited by bob rulz on Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4439 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:45 pm

meriland29 wrote:That is extreme convection just wrapping around like a hot knife in butter..where did that come from???? Isn't she too close to land now?

The frictonal Interaction with the land is actually helping the eyewall to tighten its circulation in this case. The inner core (eyewall) remains fully off shore and unfortunatarelywill remain to be the case for several more hours at least as Florence is stationary..
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

MississippiWx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4440 Postby MississippiWx » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:47 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
HDGator wrote:

Its been downgraded to a cat one. I think that she's out of time to intensify regardless of all the "holy crap, she's about to blow up" posts.

If an expert can tell me I'm wrong, please redirect. I hope like hell I'm not wrong. I've never head of a storm blowing up this close to land. I'm sure an expert has seen it.

At this point, what's important (unless I really don't understand what's going on), is that this storm has been pushing a lot of water, and is going to continue to push a lot of water inland for around 24 more hours.

For people well inland, its going to be the rain combined with TS winds that causes catastrophic power outages and damage. A 50 mph wind blowing for 24 hours is worse than a 100 mph wind blowing for one hour.

I'm not an expert and I wear broccoli on my head. Please refer to NHC products when making decisions.

What I said is truth. Doesn't really matter about sensationalistic posts. The radar IS showing winds of 110mph at 1500 feet in the eye wall that is about to move inland. With the intense convection that has just blown up, these winds will likely make it to the surface in gusts.
0 likes   
This post is not an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of MississippiWx and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “2018”