ATL: FLORENCE - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

dukeblue219
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: FLORENCE - Hurricane - Discussion

#4661 Postby dukeblue219 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:43 am

Hurricane Andrew wrote:Southerngale, have you tried passing that info on to a local EOC or 911 center? They have resources pre-staged; once the winds die down (usually 50mph is cap for water rescues), they will be deploying SWR/USAR teams en masse.

I believe that image is from a well known local SAR tool already
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4662 Postby NDG » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:44 am

TWC thinks they are going to get into the eye in Wilmington, I really doubt if the eye keeps jogging to the SW like it has during the past hour.
1 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4663 Postby GCANE » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:45 am

1 likes   

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4664 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:46 am

dukeblue219 wrote:
Hurricane Andrew wrote:Southerngale, have you tried passing that info on to a local EOC or 911 center? They have resources pre-staged; once the winds die down (usually 50mph is cap for water rescues), they will be deploying SWR/USAR teams en masse.

I believe that image is from a well known local SAR tool already

Zello? Yes, it's been used as an alternate phone system in multiple emergencies over the last year or two, mainly by volunteer rescue outfits and crowd information gathering groups. I was just curious of the information was going straight to one of said outfits, or if it was being given to 911/EOC.
0 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

Irene '11, Sandy '12, Irma '17 (SAR)

"Hard to think we were born to live this way..." -Wage War

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#4665 Postby southerngale » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:46 am

I don't know who to call. I tried 911 who said I had to call them locally and they gave me a number. I called that number and it was a recording saying to call 911 if I had an emergency. These people on Zello seem to be on the ball, so I'm praying they get help. I'll keep trying, though.
2 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#4666 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:50 am

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

SEASON_CANCELED
Category 3
Category 3

#4667 Postby SEASON_CANCELED » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:51 am

You don't even need a saw or axe just kick out the gable vent on the long ends...its easy to do . Sheesh.....people know nothing about architecture. Maybe a law posting a sign of that in all attics is a good idea.
1 likes   
i am a big stupid ugly moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt stinks and i like to kiss my own butt

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#4668 Postby artist » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:51 am

KC7NEC wrote:This may come off cold and harsh but the reality is as long as governments continue to rescue people putting first responders lives at stake people will not evacuate. People know that deep down if they are that 1 in a 1000 case when the odds stack up against them there wl be help coming.

MANDATORY EVACUATION does not need to mean you have to leave... What it does need to start meaning, and sticking to it is that your life is in your hands. We are not sending ANY help during a certain time period of time.

I know as humans we all have compassion for one another but people need to learn, and understand personal responsibilities and we collectively need to quit sending help into these type situations so people understand there is no back up safety net.

Not a Official or meteorologist. All opinions and statements are my own. Consult the experts.

Unfortunately, in the case of Harvey, and others, their appeared no need to evacuate certain areas, as they should be able to handle the projected conditions, and thusly were not told to evacuate. In those cases the need is immediate and no fault of their own.
3 likes   

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4669 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:51 am

southerngale wrote:

I don't know who to call. I tried 911 who said I had to call them locally and they gave me a number. I called that number and it was a recording saying to call 911 if I had an emergency. These people on Zello seem to be on the ball, so I'm praying they get help. I'll keep trying, though.

Fair enough. Some of the guys probably have local contacts. I don't know what county you are referencing, but most counties have an Emergency Operations Center that is manned during storms. Local FD/EMS/PD will coordinate out of there. You could try North Carolina DPS, and get a number for state EOC, but they might not have direct links to county assets at this time. As for the local 911 number, I assume they gave you the official nonemergency number, which probably isn't active right now if all the dispatchers are busy elsewhere.

I mean...I'm not on the ground there. My insight is limited to my own training and experience. I do know that disaster response will in the near term be run by local organizations (FDs in their district, etc), and in the long-term, most likely by FEMA and/or State DPS' Emergency Management. Rescues would fall under the former.

In all likelihood, they have gotten the information, and are just limited to staging assets until the winds come down. Hurricane force gusts will flip over a RHIB real quick.
0 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

JtSmarts
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4670 Postby JtSmarts » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:52 am

Looking at the radar loop, I wonder if Florence makes it offshore before she enters SC?
0 likes   

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4671 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:52 am

SEASON_CANCELED wrote:You don't even need a saw or axe just kick out the gable vent on the long ends...its easy to do . Sheesh.....people know nothing about architecture. Maybe a law posting a sign of that in all attics is a good idea.

Sure, if you can get to that part of the attic, and if you can then clamber from there to the roof. And if the vent opening isn't blocked by debris. And if that part of the attic is undamaged. In a perfect situation, yes. But in the middle of a hurricane? I'd prefer an axe or a saw.
3 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#4672 Postby artist » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:53 am

Kip Metcalf’s vehicle broke down, the one whose pictures I posted from his live feed.
1 likes   

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#4673 Postby artist » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:55 am

Brandon Clement said the Cajun Navy has some people there helping rescue.
1 likes   

SEASON_CANCELED
Category 3
Category 3

#4674 Postby SEASON_CANCELED » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:57 am

Hurricane Andrew wrote:
SEASON_CANCELED wrote:You don't even need a saw or axe just kick out the gable vent on the long ends...its easy to do . Sheesh.....people know nothing about architecture. Maybe a law posting a sign of that in all attics is a good idea.

Sure, if you can get to that part of the attic, and if you can then clamber from there to the roof. And if the vent opening isn't blocked by debris. And if that part of the attic is undamaged. In a perfect situation, yes. But in the middle of a hurricane? I'd prefer an axe or a saw.

Crawling across a few rafters ....Is alot easier than axing through roof decking and whatever is above it. If its metal you are deep doo doo. I suspect people don't go in there attics as much as I do tho.
Last edited by SEASON_CANCELED on Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
i am a big stupid ugly moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt stinks and i like to kiss my own butt

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4675 Postby jlauderdal » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:57 am

its dark, space is tight, mobility a huge issue for many americans...go straight to the roof, skip the attic or better yet if you cant take of yourself during a storm, evacuate..sadly, there are going to be drownings from this system, too much surge, too much rain, low sea level..the wind rarely kills
1 likes   

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4676 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:57 am

artist wrote:Brandon Clement said the Cajun Navy has some people there helping rescue.

Not in these winds they aren't. They might be staging as well, but any fishing boat in 100mph gusts is going to have a really, really bad day.

Best thing for the CN and friends to do is report to local EOCs and request tasking. If the EOC deems that they need the help, they'll give them an assignment, and organize them under their own Incident Command System.
0 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4677 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:58 am

SEASON_CANCELED wrote:
Hurricane Andrew wrote:

Crawling across a few rafters ....Is alot easier than axing through roof decking and whatever is above it. If its metal you are deep doo doo.

Not with a K-12. 8-)

In all seriousness, yes, you make a good point, and I will confess that I am no architect. But you should always have at least two ways out, so why not the saw AND the vent hole?

Or better yet, don't put yourself in a situation where you need to go to the attic. Yes, not everybody was negligent and ignored evacuations. But some were, and they are putting far more lives in danger than their own.
0 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#4678 Postby artist » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:59 am

Some of these people are elderly.
3 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4679 Postby jlauderdal » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:59 am

JtSmarts wrote:Looking at the radar loop, I wonder if Florence makes it offshore before she enters SC?
it has a good shot to come back over water north of myrtle beach..two landfalls in a few hours is very rare
0 likes   

MissKandi
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#4680 Postby MissKandi » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:59 am

artist wrote:Brandon Clement said the Cajun Navy has some people there helping rescue.

I can confirm multiple groups on the ground staging. Most are waiting on conditions to improve before launching. Some are currently performing SAR missions. Keep these guys in your thoughts and prayers.
2 likes   

Return to “2018”