ATL: FLORENCE - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: FLORENCE - Hurricane - Discussion

#3621 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:13 am

sponger wrote:If you look at the IR, shear has not abated, it is simply moving past it into a more favorable environment.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/satlooper.php?region=06L&product=ir

Not entirely sure what you mean ... but the shear assuming it dropping would be because the upper low over Bahamas/Florida is clearly dropping wsw to SW. which would lessen the shear.. it is both moving away from the low while the low is moving away from Florence.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

sponger
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3622 Postby sponger » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:15 am

Aric Dunn wrote:
sponger wrote:If you look at the IR, shear has not abated, it is simply moving past it into a more favorable environment.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/satlooper.php?region=06L&product=ir

Not entirely sure what you mean ... but the shear assuming it dropping would be because the upper low over Bahamas/Florida is clearly dropping wsw to SW. which would lessen the shear.. it is both moving away from the low while the low is moving away from Florence.

While the cloud level looks healthy, the precipitation is still being flattened on the South Side. The eye is moving past it and is showing life as a result.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Condor
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#3623 Postby Condor » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:15 am

HDGator wrote:
Condor wrote:
HDGator wrote:Even in the best conditions, it can only strengthen so much in 24 to 48 hours. I'm more concerned about the size of the current wind field and how much water is piling up to create a surge on the coast. I don't see it in a weakening phase at this hour though it's appeared to struggle over this afternoon and early evening.

It's not a time to let your guard down; but pay attention to the NHC and official news sources for local instructions.
Take care and stay safe!

Andrew, Charley, and Opal all intensified extremely fast within 10 hours of making landfall during a eye wall correction

Granted, let's hope and pray that Florence isn't getting her move on with a short time till landfall. It's bad enough that we're seeing an inflection in the track guidance at the coastline leading to a potential Southwest drift along the coast. Let's not link that with a reorganized and strengthening hurricane at the same time.

We can only hope but nature does what it wants
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

meriland29
Category 2
Category 2

#3624 Postby meriland29 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:19 am

ScottNAtlanta wrote:On microwave it looks like an EWRC is mid way through with a larger outer ring. Its not going to take off if thats the case

Is that going on right now??
0 likes   

meriland29
Category 2
Category 2

#3625 Postby meriland29 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:22 am

Her eye looks collapsed last few frames

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/sat ... product=ir
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#3626 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:27 am

meriland29 wrote:Her eye looks collapsed last few frames

that is the old inner eye rotating around. the outer eyewall looks to be finally closed and contracting choking off the inner.

if that convection maintains should see a large clearer eye in the next couple hours.
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3627 Postby chaser1 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:27 am

emeraldislenc wrote:So you think it could re strengthen that much?

I certainly do. That would seriously exacerbate coastal and near-to-coast inland wind damage at, and to the right of center. This of course is predicated on an actual straight on landfall occuring rather then a near stall offshore or any combination of other factors (i.e. upwelling, ingestion of dryer air, increased shear). The problem with fast moving storms such as Andrew or Charlie is that they tend to bring their "bad attitude" well inland with them. The extent of impact from land friction resulting in degredation of a hurricanes wind field can occur quickly but not nearly quick enough if a powerful hurricane were to move rapidly inland. Left to drift or stall however will certainly limit the breadth of inland severe wind related impact. Unfortunately coastal and near coast exposure to such long term battering could practically result in catastrophic devastation for those area's most directly exposed. I think its plausible for restrengthening to occur and be maintained right up to landfall. For reasons mentioned above however, Florence could restrengthen but short of a reasonable forward motion that practically drives the storm to landfall, a prolonged approach to landfall would practically guarantee weakening once again.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

MississippiWx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3628 Postby MississippiWx » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:27 am

The overall structure of the hurricane is improving by the minute. The eye wall will take some time to reform, but it's amazing how fast that can happen without shear punching in dry air.
2 likes   
This post is not an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of MississippiWx and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

HDGator
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3629 Postby HDGator » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:29 am

I'm more concerned about the deep cooling of the cloud tops around the eye. It appears to have healed from any dry air intrusion and seems to be on the mend. We'll see what happens in the next few hours but I see an organizing storm...
3 likes   

meriland29
Category 2
Category 2

#3630 Postby meriland29 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:30 am

Aric Dunn wrote:

that is the old inner eye rotating around. the outer eyewall looks to be finally closed and contracting choking off the inner.

if that convection maintains should see a large clearer eye in the next couple hours.

Thanks for the info Aric. I do have another question, she is currently a Cat 2 right now, is it even within the realm of possibility for her to bounce back in full in the small frame of time she has? I heard it is questionable, but als i remember seeing her jump to Cat 4 status from a low end cat 1 within 1 morning a few days ago..
0 likes   

stormhunter7
Category 2
Category 2

#3631 Postby stormhunter7 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:30 am

Recon last pass now back down to 957mb. Recon should be heading home. Pressure drop means one last run at strengthening.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

StormClouds63
Category 2
Category 2

#3632 Postby StormClouds63 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:31 am

This storm reminds me of Ike in 2008 ... storm surge and inland flooding. I wouldn't focus on whether it's a 2 or a 3. Size of the system does matter as the effects are spread out over a much larger area.
1 likes   

meriland29
Category 2
Category 2

#3633 Postby meriland29 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:33 am

MississippiWx wrote:The overall structure of the hurricane is improving by the minute. The eye wall will take some time to reform, but it's amazing how fast that can happen without shear punching in dry air.

She was trying to fight that sheer a few hours ago...I could see that, it was a tug of war situation. Now it seems the sheer didn't fall in the mud, it just walked away...terrible analogy I know lol.
3 likes   

MississippiWx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3634 Postby MississippiWx » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:34 am

meriland29 wrote:
MississippiWx wrote:The overall structure of the hurricane is improving by the minute. The eye wall will take some time to reform, but it's amazing how fast that can happen without shear punching in dry air.

She was trying to fight that sheer a few hours ago...I could see that, it was a tug of war situation. Now it seems the sheer didn't fall in the mud, it just walked away...terrible analogy I know lol.

Yeah, the culprit of the shear is moving too far away.
0 likes   
This post is not an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of MississippiWx and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

stormhunter7
Category 2
Category 2

#3635 Postby stormhunter7 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:36 am

Shear/drier air showed up well in Gonzos dropsonde data from earlier. Definitely was feeling affects of ULL to the SW, imo.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

meriland29
Category 2
Category 2

#3636 Postby meriland29 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:37 am

Still in storm, here is the latest image. I wish I could find an image of the last recon pass before this one...
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3637 Postby chaser1 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:39 am

Flo taking a temporary left hand turn?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Condor
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#3638 Postby Condor » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:40 am

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/5YgyLlKssjV6XRgDIB" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/5YgyLlKssjV6XRgDIB">via GIPHY</a></p>
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#3639 Postby Aric Dunn » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:41 am

meriland29 wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:

Thanks for the info Aric. I do have another question, she is currently a Cat 2 right now, is it even within the realm of possibility for her to bounce back in full in the small frame of time she has? I heard it is questionable, but als i remember seeing her jump to Cat 4 status from a low end cat 1 within 1 morning a few days ago..

with this hurricane who knows. I can tell you it i definitely possible to get back to 120 or maybe 130. will that hold till the coast who knows. will be moving slow. a lot of variables..

but in the next 12 to 18 hours it sure could deepen quick if the shear has fully reduced .. the ssts are plenty warm enough . ..just requires the right stuff.
0 likes   

meriland29
Category 2
Category 2

#3640 Postby meriland29 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:41 am

0 likes   

Return to “2018”