ATL: FLORENCE - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: FLORENCE - Hurricane - Discussion

#4761 Postby GeneratorPower » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:44 am

Honest question here... where are all the reports of dire flooding in NC? Maybe I live in a hole but I'm not seeing water rescues or anything. I see a Waffle House open in Wilmington. Yet I'm seeing 30" rainfall totals not that far away. What gives here?
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4762 Postby psyclone » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 am

Raebie wrote:
jlauderdal wrote:So twc just had cantore in a wilmington, nc waffle house thats open. No surprise people don't take it seriously, no.power at the waffle house but cmon down in the storm. Twc and waffle house corporate are complicit.

That's a little dramatic. People have to eat and it's not like they're forcing anyone to come out of their homes for hash browns.

Yep and the waffle house index might be some of the best free advertising ever. It has become deep tradition and won't be going anywhere. nor should it. It's become as intertwined with a landfalling hurricane as turkey and Thanksgiving.
5 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#4763 Postby wxman57 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 am

TheAustinMan wrote:According to the USGS rain gauge on the bridge at Atlantic Beach, 37.61" of rain has fallen in the last two days, with 20.41" coming in the last 12 hours. Unofficially, this shatters the old North Carolina tropical cyclone rainfall record set by Floyd in 1999 of 24.06". Unfortunately, as Florence lingers around the coast, the continued development of rainbands are expected to continue dumping torrential rainfall across eastern North Carolina, and the final values could be quite extreme. The bands are also beginning to creep slowly further inland so we could be seeing river flooding upstream start to mount.

I'm hearing from the USGS that some of their rain gauges may be reporting amounts way too high because the tipping bucket gauges are being shaken by the wind, causing the bucket to tip before being filled.
2 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#4764 Postby wxman57 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:47 am

GeneratorPower wrote:Honest question here... where are all the reports of dire flooding in NC? Maybe I live in a hole but I'm not seeing water rescues or anything. I see a Waffle House open in Wilmington. Yet I'm seeing 30" rainfall totals not that far away. What gives here?

Heaviest rain in Wilmington will come tonight as that big feeder band to your northeast moves overhead. Possibly 2-3 inches per hour for 3-6 hours. Enjoy the break while it lasts.
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: RE: Re: ATL: FLORENCE - Hurricane - Discussion

#4765 Postby jlauderdal » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:50 am

Waffle house is open, go over for dinner as a feeder band is coming in
wxman57 wrote:
GeneratorPower wrote:Honest question here... where are all the reports of dire flooding in NC? Maybe I live in a hole but I'm not seeing water rescues or anything. I see a Waffle House open in Wilmington. Yet I'm seeing 30" rainfall totals not that far away. What gives here?

Heaviest rain in Wilmington will come tonight as that big feeder band to your northeast moves overhead. Possibly 2-3 inches per hour for 3-6 hours. Enjoy the break while it lasts.
1 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4766 Postby psyclone » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:51 am

well assuming that atlantic beach report is true it's a good ways north from Wilmington and they were in the heavy stuff well before wilmington proper. And that water fell at the coast so it flows right to the ocean. if severe inland flooding is to happen the storm must track inland and dump the heavy rain well away from the coast into river watersheds. even then it will take awhile for the flood crests to develop and move downstream...so much of the freshwater flooding potential has yet to happen. the latest QPF estimates take 10" toward the Charlotte area. they have yet to get a drop and don't look to for quite awhile. as far as the inland (freshwater) flood threat is concerned...we're on chapter 1 of that book.
1 likes   

petit_bois
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4767 Postby petit_bois » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:54 am

any surf reports form the "clean" side of the storm? Post Pics!
0 likes   
Resident of the Atlantic Basin's Major Hurricane Hit Capital!
Camille (200+winds), Frederic, Goerges, Katrina... and many many more.

Disclaimer: I'm likely the smartest guy here... but I have no idea where a tropical cyclone will go. I suggest you take my opinion as a grain of salt. I suggest you look to the National Hurricane Center for accurate info.

funster
Category 3
Category 3

#4768 Postby funster » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:55 am

Sounds like a recipe for soggy waffles. Never eat soggy waffles.
1 likes   

Cypresso
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4769 Postby Cypresso » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:57 am

The surge here from Amy Johnson near the Pungo River around midnight... which was 100 or so miles from the center NE.
0 likes   
Houston, Texas. Allison '01, Rita '05, Dolly '08, Ike '08, Issac '12, Harvey '17

rolldamntoad
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#4770 Postby rolldamntoad » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:04 am

smithtim wrote:
jlauderdal wrote:
Hurricane Andrew wrote:.
.... but one of these days there is going to be a cajun navy disaster and the shine will wear off quickly.

The Cajun Navy is a very knowledgeable and both well trained & experienced group and probably the least likely to make mistakes. And, let's be honest our guvment already had a list of failures in responses to these things as things get tied up in procedural delays etc

Bottom line is Cajun Navy, along with other organizations like Samaritans Purse etc, are an awsome group of qualified folks that just choose to work regular jobs than military stuff. I know communication is growing between government & these organizations and only hope it continues, perhaps some sort of "volunteer national guard" equivalent will evolve so the most amount of people can be there & ready in time of need.

And, I know how this goes first hand: during Harvey were there on the ground helping ( not Houston, rather south near landfall zone ) and the feds nowhere to be found! Only folks on ground were army of volunteers, power workers from out of state & the local cops/ems. Sometimes the government isn't enough- no feasible etc, but back to Florence and good news is from early reports things looking better than was expected with those cat4 predictions so doubt this one will be manpower issue...

I think that's supposed to be the point of Community Emergency Response Teams (CERTs), through FEMA, but I've never seen them mentioned in a news article or anything.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Refer to NOAA products, local authorities, and your local media.

robbielyn
Category 5
Category 5

#4771 Postby robbielyn » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:04 am

Cypresso wrote:https://imgur.com/sn2RGe5

The surge here from Amy Johnson near the Pungo River around midnight... which was 100 or so miles from the center NE.

WOW!!!! Amazing I hope no one stayed.
1 likes   
Robbielyn McCrary
I know just about enough to sound like I know what I'm talking about sometimes. But for your safety please follow the nhc for truly professional forecasting. :D

funster
Category 3
Category 3

#4772 Postby funster » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:04 am

Heaviest precip headed for Myrtle. Any hurricane winds left? Remaining inland so far.
https://www.wunderground.com/weather-ra ... ngton/ltx/
0 likes   

SEASON_CANCELED
Category 3
Category 3

#4773 Postby SEASON_CANCELED » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:06 am

I never remember growing up people ever staying behind during these types of storms. (1986-1999)

Maybe they did and they died and we never heard about it because Social media wasn't there and it was printed on a newspaper months after the storm as a footnote?

Or is it just going with the general trend of people are getting dumber and IQ's dropping? No reason these sorts of video's should be on twitter as there were tons of shelters open for those that could not evacuate.
I heard something like only half of wilmington actually evacuated. Going to be a terrible weekend for them.
Last edited by SEASON_CANCELED on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   
i am a big stupid ugly moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt stinks and i like to kiss my own butt

ronjon
Category 5
Category 5

#4774 Postby ronjon » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:06 am

wxman57 wrote:
TheAustinMan wrote:According to the USGS rain gauge on the bridge at Atlantic Beach, 37.61" of rain has fallen in the last two days, with 20.41" coming in the last 12 hours. Unofficially, this shatters the old North Carolina tropical cyclone rainfall record set by Floyd in 1999 of 24.06". Unfortunately, as Florence lingers around the coast, the continued development of rainbands are expected to continue dumping torrential rainfall across eastern North Carolina, and the final values could be quite extreme. The bands are also beginning to creep slowly further inland so we could be seeing river flooding upstream start to mount.

I'm hearing from the USGS that some of their rain gauges may be reporting amounts way too high because the tipping bucket gauges are being shaken by the wind, causing the bucket to tip before being filled.

Makes sense. Radar estimates are as high as 10-12 inches storm total in the Beaufort area.
0 likes   

jdjaguar
Category 2
Category 2

#4775 Postby jdjaguar » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:09 am

Maryellen46 wrote:
jlauderdal wrote:So twc just had cantore in a wilmington, nc waffle house thats open. No surprise people don't take it seriously, no.power at the waffle house but cmon down in the storm. Twc and waffle house corporate are complicit.

Waffle Houses are known to stay open during Hurricanes.

complicit in what?

Having weathered a few hurricanes, open restaurants are a GODSEND.

I applaud Waffle House.
11 likes   

wardboy74
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#4776 Postby wardboy74 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:25 am

jdjaguar wrote:
Maryellen46 wrote:

Waffle Houses are known to stay open during Hurricanes.

complicit in what?

Having weathered a few hurricanes, open restaurants are a GODSEND.

I applaud Waffle House.

If you aren't from the South you wouldn't understand the Waffle House mentality. If they don't open, the world is coming to an end. They opened to get rid of food before it spoiled after Matthew and donated food to workers in Columbus County.
9 likes   
Whiteville, Columbus County NC
Thanks for the information on this message forum.

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#4777 Postby Sanibel » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:26 am

Florence "fire-hosing" record rains into North Carolina...Frying Pan Shoals camera down...Too bad it is probably roaring out there...NHC track wins over Euro...
1 likes   

BobHarlem
Category 5
Category 5

#4778 Postby BobHarlem » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:30 am

Guy driving around in new Bern live stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtwzQcLSyeU
0 likes   

SEASON_CANCELED
Category 3
Category 3

#4779 Postby SEASON_CANCELED » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:31 am

BobHarlem wrote:Guy driving around in new Bern live stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtwzQcLSyeU

More proof IQ's are falling rapidly. One powerline...One puddle..goodbye.
0 likes   
i am a big stupid ugly moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt stinks and i like to kiss my own butt

wx98
Category 5
Category 5

#4780 Postby wx98 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:46 am

Postel on TWC just showed that the 5 day track that showed landfall was off by only 2 miles. They did miss the timing some though, but the NHC did an excellent job on landfall location.
7 likes   

Return to “2018”