ATL: FLORENCE - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

tolakram
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: FLORENCE - Models

#3901 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:33 pm

Palmcitycane wrote:Is there any data on which model is verifying or most accurate so far with Florence's track?

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/facstaff/tang/tcguidance/al062018/

4 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3902 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:35 pm

0 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#3903 Postby LarryWx » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:38 pm

jdjaguar wrote:
LarryWx wrote:12Z Euro hour 96: Hits CHS from only a barely offshore position (maybe only 10 miles offshore at most) instead of SAV hit from 50 miles offshore like the 0Z had. So, significant N change from 0Z.

Models seem to be converging w/ a Wilmington NC/Myrtle Beach/Charleston... inland SC solution.

Maybe, just maybe today's 0Z Euro will turn out to be the furthest south of any model's run past and to come. Model trends tend to be northward more than southward per my recollection of SE US threats following these for many years. Perhaps the models first needed to digest a stronger Midwest high than earlier thought, thus inducing some new SW motion in the forecast track after the slowdown. However, now that that stronger high has been digested, maybe the trend will resume the typical northward trend as perhaps that high starts to give in a bit more. We'll see. Nobody knows, which is what makes this hobby so interesting. But that's my best guess now, especially since that 0Z Euro was a south outlier for any operational. If these were predictable, it would be boring to follow the models.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Palmcitycane
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3904 Postby Palmcitycane » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:39 pm

tolakram wrote:
Palmcitycane wrote:Is there any data on which model is verifying or most accurate so far with Florence's track?

https://i.imgur.com/2Xvjpai.png

Thank you Mark!
2 likes   

plasticup
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3905 Postby plasticup » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:54 pm

tolakram wrote:

Does this mean the TVCN beat the NHC in terms of location accuracy? Is that typical?
1 likes   
Eyes: Emily '86, Dean '89, Felix '95, Gert '99, Fabian '03, Humberto '19, Paulette '20

bonjourno
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#3906 Postby bonjourno » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:56 pm

tolakram wrote:

<clip>

All hail king UK?
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3907 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:03 pm

plasticup wrote:
tolakram wrote:

Does this mean the TVCN beat the NHC in terms of location accuracy? Is that typical?

Yes, because the NHC is purposely slow to change the track. Many times models can shift, only to shift back later. TVCN is simply a weighted blend.
3 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

caneman
Category 5
Category 5

#3908 Postby caneman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:05 pm

tolakram wrote:
plasticup wrote:

Yes, because the NHC is purposely slow to change the track. Many times models can shift, only to shift back later. TVCN is simply a weighted blend.

AVNO IS GFS correct? Doesnt look like the Euro has done that well. If I'm ready the chart correctly
1 likes   

Emmett_Brown
Category 5
Category 5

#3909 Postby Emmett_Brown » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:16 pm

Storm motion becomes much more difficult to predict when it involves a stall and/or change in direction. While Florence's motion has been pretty much W/NW its entire existence (with the exception of the W/SW late last week), handling stalls near the point of landfall due to changing steering currents is pretty complicated and prone to error. Models will struggle to get this right even at short timescales. The NHC is usually the most accurate in these types of situations.
2 likes   

blp
Category 5
Category 5

#3910 Postby blp » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:21 pm

tolakram wrote:

Am I reading this correctly the GFS is outperforming most of the models on this or is it the HWRF? Can't tell by the color of the blue.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#3911 Postby tolakram » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:24 pm

blp wrote:
tolakram wrote:

Am I reading this correctly the GFS is outperforming most of the models on this or is it the HWRF? Can't tell by the color of the blue.

Looks to me like some of the colors are duplicated so I'm hesitant to say for sure.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -

SouthFLTropics
Category 5
Category 5

#3912 Postby SouthFLTropics » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:30 pm

tolakram wrote:
blp wrote:

Looks to me like some of the colors are duplicated so I'm hesitant to say for sure.

It appears to me that the legend goes in order with the graph. If that's the case then the Euro is outperforming most with the "NGX" coming in second. Not sure what the NGX is.
0 likes   
Fourth Generation Floridian...With lots of storm knowledge passed down from my elders...

Personal Storm History: David 79, Andrew 92, Erin 95, Floyd 99, Irene 99, Frances 04, Jeanne 04, Wilma 05, Matthew 16, Irma 17

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#3913 Postby RL3AO » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:32 pm

After days of long lines at gas stations and grocery stores being bought clean in the triangle area, seeing the euro show only 2.4 inches of rain in Raleigh is pretty funny.
5 likes   

tomatkins
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3914 Postby tomatkins » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:38 pm

SouthFLTropics wrote:
tolakram wrote:
blp wrote:

It appears to me that the legend goes in order with the graph. If that's the case then the Euro is outperforming most with the "NGX" coming in second. Not sure what the NGX is.

I think you are reading this backwards. I think shorter is better.

But yo uare correct - the bars go in the order they are listed in the legend. So the first dark blue bar on the left is GFS and the second dark blue bar is the HWRF.
4 likes   

syfr
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3915 Postby syfr » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:52 pm

RL3AO wrote:After days of long lines at gas stations and grocery stores being bought clean in the triangle area, seeing the euro show only 2.4 inches of rain in Raleigh is pretty funny.

Yes but it's a GOOD funny!
1 likes   
I'm not a meteorologist, I'm an electronics engineer. While I can probably fix your toaster oven, you're not going to learn about storms from me!

New Mexico had no hurricanes. Then I moved to NC right before Fran.....

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#3916 Postby LarryWx » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:54 pm

The 12Z EPS is less threatening for GA and N FL than was the 0Z EPS due to the mean being further north. The trends at 12Z are mainly good for GA/N FL, especially Euro/EPS. Hopefully that trend will hold up. Way too early to tell for sure though.

Also, 12Z EPS doesn't have those crazy FL tracks that the 0Z EPS had.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3917 Postby Steve » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:55 pm

caneman wrote:
tolakram wrote:
plasticup wrote:Does this mean the TVCN beat the NHC in terms of location accuracy? Is that typical?

AVNO IS GFS correct? Doesnt look like the Euro has done that well. If I'm ready the chart correctly

You are. And it hasn't on a specific forecast track. But here is the European last Wednesday at 12z:

Here's last Thursday at 12z (7am CDT)

GFS, while overall not bad from 7 days out, had it much farther out to sea on Wednesday at 12z and hitting Long Island on its way out to sea on Thursday. Prior to that, EC showed strong ridging where the GFS had recurve written all over it for run after run. I even got in a few of those arguments with people who wouldn't budge. But when you've seen the model (and its predecessor) do the same thing for 20 years, you learn to get suspicious. So while the hourly forecasts may favor the GFS or any number of models, the EC got the pattern right.
4 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#3918 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:40 pm

RL3AO wrote:After days of long lines at gas stations and grocery stores being bought clean in the triangle area, seeing the euro show only 2.4 inches of rain in Raleigh is pretty funny.

At least the ground in Ga isnt saturated already like up there. It would take more to flood here than in RDU
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

capepoint
Category 1
Category 1

#3919 Postby capepoint » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:55 pm

clambite wrote:
Raebie wrote:Well there you have it...3 different answers. Lol.

If you want a fourth, it's high tide at Atlantic Beach bridge (Morehead City area) on Thur. at 11:36 AM AND 11:56 PM. Fri 12:27 PM. SAT 12:47AM and 122PM

And tides are already 1-2 feet above normal because of astronomical high tides.
0 likes   
Ginger-(eye),Dennis,Diana,Kate,Gloria,Charley-(eye),Allison,Arthur,Bertha,Fran,Josephine,Bonnie,Earl,Dennis-(twice),Floyd, Isabel-(eye),Charley,Ophelia-(eyewall),Ernesto,Barry,Hanna,Irene-(eye),Arthur-(eye), Florence, Dorian, and countless depressions, storms, and nor'easters.

Powellrm
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3920 Postby Powellrm » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:09 pm

(I'm sure this will get deleted) but, what is the ngx? I've never heard of it. Any pros out there familiar?
0 likes   

Return to “2018”