ATL: GORDON - Post-Tropical

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#81 Postby Frank P » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:53 am

GFS is weaker but basic same track give or take a few miles, quite underwhelming all in all...
1 likes   

MississippiWx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#82 Postby MississippiWx » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:53 am

GFS continues with its back and forth ways on strength. 12z came in with another weak run. Personally, I believe it's difficult to look at visible satellite imagery, and not believe this is coming together pretty fast. It is fairly small, so it could be susceptible to rapid development. That also makes it susceptible to being torn apart by shear if it makes a wrong move.

Have to wonder if a PTC tag will be placed on this soon due to its proximity to the Bahamas and Florida.
1 likes   
This post is not an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of MississippiWx and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#83 Postby SoupBone » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:57 am

MississippiWx wrote:GFS continues with its back and forth ways on strength. 12z came in with another weak run. Personally, I believe it's difficult to look at visible satellite imagery, and not believe this is coming together pretty fast. It is fairly small, so it could be susceptible to rapid development. That also makes it susceptible to being torn apart by shear if it makes a wrong move.

Have to wonder if a PTC tag will be placed on this soon due to its proximity to the Bahamas and Florida.

Which is why I keep commenting on the existing shear in the Eastern GoM, which has been steadily increasing. It's supposed to move in tandem with 91L, but so far it hasn't really budged. Is that what the GFS is picking up on?
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

JarrodB
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#84 Postby JarrodB » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:02 am

It does not matter if it is named or classified as a PTC before impacting Florida. An afternoon thunderstorm in Florida can be more powerful(in a small area) than a weak tropical storm. I have experienced 50kt+ winds while boating countless times as a result of an afternoon thunderstorm.

Classifying unnecessarily this will only cause hype and scare tourists away. However I do feel that coastal Louisiana and Mississippi need to watch this closely because of the RI potential once this makes it to the gulf.
1 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#85 Postby Shell Mound » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:03 am

SoupBone wrote:
MississippiWx wrote:GFS continues with its back and forth ways on strength. 12z came in with another weak run. Personally, I believe it's difficult to look at visible satellite imagery, and not believe this is coming together pretty fast. It is fairly small, so it could be susceptible to rapid development. That also makes it susceptible to being torn apart by shear if it makes a wrong move.

Which is why I keep commenting on the existing shear in the Eastern GoM, which has been steadily increasing. It's supposed to move in tandem with 91L, but so far it hasn't really budged. Is that what the GFS is picking up on?

In my humble view, the GFS is simply incorrect. A look at the shear charts on the 12Z run shows that it actually depicts a more favourable environment than previous runs (e.g., 00Z) did, with strong hints of a dual outflow channel starting to show up as 91L moves over/near the Keys and the southernmost FL peninsula. The upper low is clearly moving out of the way on the latest water-vapor imagery—it certainly is allowing sufficient room for 91L to organise. Therefore, I strongly suspect that the GFS is underestimating the intensity of 91L. The shear charts that you mention indicate short-term increases in shear over the Gulf as the upper low moves over the area. It is not a permanent trend. Watch shear decrease overnight as the upper low retrogrades.
5 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#86 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:04 am

umm it is pretty hard to imagine there is nothing trying to get going at the surface right now.. especially with radar..

http://barbadosweather.org/Composite/ki ... 1535841761
4 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

MississippiWx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#87 Postby MississippiWx » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:14 am

JarrodB wrote:It does not matter if it is named or classified as a PTC before impacting Florida. An afternoon thunderstorm in Florida can be more powerful(in a small area) than a weak tropical storm. I have experienced 50kt+ winds while boating countless times as a result of an afternoon thunderstorm.

Classifying unnecessarily this will only cause hype and scare tourists away. However I do feel that coastal Louisiana and Mississippi need to watch this closely because of the RI potential once this makes it to the gulf.

It matters. A potential tropical cyclone is not classifying unnecessarily because it is simply "potential".

Also, it would be nice to get a jump start on advisories to get the NHC's thoughts on track and intensity.
4 likes   
This post is not an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of MississippiWx and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

MississippiWx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#88 Postby MississippiWx » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:15 am

12z CMC has this developing pretty much right away. I think it has a better grasp on this than the GFS due to current trends.
1 likes   

Evil Jeremy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#89 Postby Evil Jeremy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:15 am

JarrodB wrote:It does not matter if it is named or classified as a PTC before impacting Florida. An afternoon thunderstorm in Florida can be more powerful(in a small area) than a weak tropical storm. I have experienced 50kt+ winds while boating countless times as a result of an afternoon thunderstorm.

You are applying subjectivity to what should be an objective process. A tropical cyclone is a tropical cyclone, and there's been established precedent for pre-tropical cyclone advisories as well.
1 likes   
Frances 04 / Jeanne 04 / Katrina 05 / Wilma 05 / Fay 08 / Debby 12 / Andrea 13 / Colin 16 / Hermine 16 / Matthew 16 / Irma 17

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#90 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:16 am

at this point I am going with the WRF lol..
Last edited by Aric Dunn on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

jaguars_22
Category 1
Category 1

#91 Postby jaguars_22 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:17 am

Is the high pressure not going to be as strong as earlier runs which had Texas?? What is protecting Texas?
0 likes   

JarrodB
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#92 Postby JarrodB » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:18 am

Evil Jeremy wrote:
You are applying subjectivity to what should be an objective process. A tropical cyclone is a tropical cyclone, and there's been established precedent for pre-tropical cyclone advisories as well.

If and only if it meets the criteria. There is no need to classify a tropical just because it is close to land.

I do think this will become a depression and possibly Gordon by tomorrow night.
0 likes   

Clearcloudz
Category 2
Category 2

#93 Postby Clearcloudz » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:19 am

MississippiWx wrote:12z CMC has this developing pretty much right away. I think it has a better grasp on this than the GFS due to current trends.

Initialization was very good so yeah I do believe it has a better grasp of current situation and trends.
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: RE: Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#94 Postby jlauderdal » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:21 am

Nogaps
Aric Dunn wrote:at this point I am going with the WRF lol..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: RE: Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#95 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:23 am

jlauderdal wrote:Nogaps

From the current level of organization .. I would wager on this becoming a TC sooner rather than later.

The shear has dropped to well within a developmental standpoint. not to stop it from now till the gulf..
Last edited by Aric Dunn on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   

drezee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#96 Postby drezee » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:25 am

We will need to start talking about barrier and low lying islands. If it goes, we may not have much time to evacuate them.
1 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#97 Postby jlauderdal » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:33 am

That seems very reasonable, really need some some mid and low level obs..as you know, we have seen very impressive sat presentations and nada at the surface
Aric Dunn wrote:

From the current level of organization .. I would wager on this becoming a TC sooner rather than later.

The shear has dropped to well within a developmental standpoint. not to stop it from now till the gulf..

2 likes   

tgenius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: ATL: INVEST 91L - Discussion

#98 Postby tgenius » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:36 am

jlauderdal wrote:That seems very reasonable, really need some some mid and low level obs..as you know, we have seen very impressive sat presentations and nada at the surface
Aric Dunn wrote:

Gotta get that generator going buddy! ;)
0 likes   

JarrodB
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#99 Postby JarrodB » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:36 am

Unfortunately there are no buoys in the vicinity. Tomorrow when this system is over the Keys and S. Florida we will get direct obs.

At the 2pm(edt) update I hope the NHC announces recon flights.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#100 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:38 am

I am watching the convection in this area( red circle ) for their overall motion .. if we see some easterly ( ne , nne, ene etc. ) component to them then it is highly likely we have a developing circ. not guaranteed but given the convective pattern, we have now I would not be surprised.

1 likes   

Return to “2018”